Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

13 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think the plan for Watkins is to be a striker who can play or drift wide. He could play 3 positions in the same match. So I'm not surprised we might still be after a more dedicated striker.

Have to keep in mind Edouard is only 22, same age as Davis. I don't know that he should or would be going to almost any PL team as a nailed-on, every week starter, as we know from experience just throwing young players from a much weaker league straight in isn't generally the best idea. Lotta money being suggested but then look at what other PL teams are spending on kids at the moment, and strikers are always at a premium.

36 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

From what I have seen and know.Anyone on VT could score a hatfull of goals in the SPL.Apart from Rangers every other team in the SPL is Championship or lower IMHO.

Quite correct..............the uglies are the only 2 with their little bit more money and wages and their side would be akin to Championship level at this moment.

The rest of us do what we can on a shoestring but the plight was underlined in 2018 when an established striker at Aberdeen went to a non league English club...................as he would be paid more.

Any "striker" playing for the uglies, each game, gets a hat full  of chances due to the domination and so they tend to notch a fair number of goals each season. In the same pretext they also miss a fair number of easy chances.......I've seen Eduoard miss some simple chances one in particular against us but I feel some of their players get complacent as 99 times out of a hundred 100 they dominate SPL games and more chances will come along. 

The big question is........have they got that extra gear to raise their level in the Premier League and manage on perhaps two or three half chances a game whilst facing some of the best defenders in the World? 

He is at the age now where he needs to test himself so believe he will move soon........but where?????

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

He is at the age now where he needs to test himself so believe he will move soon........but where?????

I agree. Out of PL teams I would say it would be us. Not sure how he would fit in at Leicester with Vardy being their main striker. 

Depends how Brendan Rodgers sees it.

He brought him to Celtic and under his management they invariably played with 2 strikers.  In the English Premier League he may see that as a luxury as a starter but may believe to use him from the bench later in the game perhaps if chasing the game whilst at the same time developing his game and learning on the training field.

Who knows?

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Quite correct..............the uglies are the only 2 with their little bit more money and wages and their side would be akin to Championship level at this moment.

The rest of us do what we can on a shoestring but the plight was underlined in 2018 when an established striker at Aberdeen went to a non league English club...................as he would be paid more.

Any "striker" playing for the uglies, each game, gets a hat full  of chances due to the domination and so they tend to notch a fair number of goals each season. In the same pretext they also miss a fair number of easy chances.......I've seen Eduoard miss some simple chances one in particular against us but I feel some of their players get complacent as 99 times out of a hundred 100 they dominate SPL games and more chances will come along. 

The big question is........have they got that extra gear to raise their level in the Premier League and manage on perhaps two or three half chances a game whilst facing some of the best defenders in the World? 

I think with the spl teams you have to question who their best players are. If edouard was scoring 20 but wasn't their best 2 players then you would have to say he isn't worth the money. But when you are the best player, the one that makes things happen (even in the spl) and have more goal involvements than you have games you have to say that player might be something special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I think with the spl teams you have to question who their best players are. If edouard was scoring 20 but wasn't their best 2 players then you would have to say he isn't worth the money. But when you are the best player, the one that makes things happen (even in the spl) and have more goal involvements than you have games you have to say that player might be something special. 

Having watched Celtic a fair amount I wouldn't say he was the one that makes things happen much of the time.  He benefits from the good players around him especially their wide players creating chances for him. When teams are chasing the game against the smellies, after parking the bus before going a goal down , it is the speed of the midfielders on the counter who create much for him. Celtic are often at their most dangerous at a corner or freekick to the opposition around their area as their speed of counter is too much for many sides and when the ball gets to Edouard he will be in yards of space as a rule. It is usually a good "team" performance rather that a couple of individuals that get the results for them.

Following on from this, I haven't looked into Edouards goals but like to know how many of them are the first goal scored when Celtic are up against an 11 man defense. whilst the game is goalless? Space then is at a premium and most teams are just defending for their lives.

As I said before he needs testing at a higher level to see if he can raise his game........somebody will take a chance!

Edited by newhavenhibby

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Odsonne Edouard leaving Celtic. 
 According to 'FotoSpor' , o Aston Villa will be very close to guaranteeing the French striker for a budget of around 43.2 million euros.

Where have you seen this?

Â