Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m still worried, like at the start of the window, what if he doesn’t step up and is another Dwight Gayle.  

He’s only had one season as a striker, yes he has other attributes but we are all dreaming about him being a success.  The chances are just as high that he doesn’t step up.  That maybe just needs a season or so to step up or maybe he doesn’t, that’s the risk you get in buying a lower league player.  

It’s a massive risk going into the season with Watkins, Samatta and Davis as your fit strikers.

i would like another big striker to take the pressure off Watkins, to give us more options if we get a good winger to play with Jack we could have a mouth watering frontline options with Jack, Rashica, Eduoardo, Watkins and Wes.  Any three or four combination of those guys could be frightening.

Why does everyone slate gayle? He still scores a goal like every 150 minutes in the prem. I think the only strikers with better minutes per goals are aguero, Kane and auba. He has never had any chance to prove himself in an extended run of games. I think he started 3 games after restart and scored in 2 of them. Hardly a terrible player. He finished the season with 4 goals and 2 assists in 20 appearances but half those matches were off the bench. This season it was a goal every 212 minutes. In terms of goalscoring ability he is probably the best back up striker in the league (except Chelsea and United if we are counting Tammy and Greenwood)

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Why does everyone slate gayle? He still scores a goal like every 150 minutes in the prem. I think the only strikers with better minutes per goals are aguero, Kane and auba. He has never had any chance to prove himself in an extended run of games. I think he started 3 games after restart and scored in 2 of them. Hardly a terrible player. He finished the season with 4 goals and 2 assists in 20 appearances but half those matches were off the bench. This season it was a goal every 212 minutes. In terms of goalscoring ability he is probably the best back up striker in the league (except Chelsea and United if we are counting Tammy and Greenwood)

Because. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly I think we could spend £35m better. It's mental for an SPL player.

If we sign Rashica, we've got two very good players who can go up front.

I'd buy another winger before another striker. Suppose Watkins can shift out there actually.

Best thing about this guy is his finishing. Stupidly cool in front of goal.

Of all the players we've been lined with this summer, Edouard is the one that I have the worst feeling on. There's just something about this deal that I'm not sure about. If it happens, I hope he proves me wrong, but I would be quite happy to miss out on this player.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Of all the players we've been lined with this summer, Edouard is the one that I have the worst feeling on. There's just something about this deal that I'm not sure about. If it happens, I hope he proves me wrong, but I would be quite happy to miss out on this player.

I think he suits a dominant side more than anything else.

Even if he goes to Leicester and was brilliant I wouldn't be sure he'd have worked here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Same. Watkins and (hopefully) Rashica will do nicely. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Same way I felt about Wilson in a way.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's an interesting one.  I feel the link to us has been tenuous at best, I can't even remember where the original link came from?  Alan Nixon was it??

Regardless, I say it's interesting because when I saw the initial rumour I was pretty excited about it.  I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure this guy could have a brilliant career depending on his next move.  You know, 'cause it's not always just about ability, it's more often than not a combination of that and the right move at the right time.  See Benteke for an example of what I mean.

Anyway, now we have Watkins any lingering hope is all but extinguished I feel.  Can you really see us having 3 strikers on our books with +£30m price tags?

I suppose, grudgingly as a proud Scotsman I may add, I understand the reservation from so many on here about buying from the SPFL as it gives you very little relevant form to compare to.  My only annoyance with that is that you can't use that as your only complaint. 

Why the negativity? We need to buy players, not all will work out despite their talent, but we should be glad we are buying. We can financially afford for them to not work out, things are a little different now, but there is likely less chance of it not working out than if we were buying cheaper players. However, one thing is for sure: there is no such thing as a low cost dead cert.

Edited by thunderball

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Same. If we’re in the market for another striker I’d be very happy with Brewster on a perm deal. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Arsenal and Spurs interested but not good enough for us?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PremTransferMan/status/1304464054711451648

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but I’m pretty sure at least 80% of his goals come against us......

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Can we just not offer them cash + Samatta... I feel like Samatta would score at least 25 up there.

But we've only just signed Cash and given him the number 2 shirt - doesn't make any sense ;)

I think offering up any of Samatta, Hogan or Lansbury in a part exchange deal would give them a player capable of performing well in the SPL. 

however I reckon Eduoard will end up either at Arsenal or Spudz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I’d be shocked if we get another 30m+ striker! Watkins hasn’t been bought to play wide!! I think we’ll see King who can play across the front three positions and is cheaper. 

Sooooo you’re saying we should go 4-4-2

On 11/09/2020 at 07:00, Jas10 said:

He’d be wanted by “bigger clubs” in that case, would be in high demand. Now is a good opportunity to get a deal like this done and get a young player with form & huge potential.

What I like most about Edouard is his technique and range of finishing, he would be a great asset and is still young (only going to improve and has a high ceiling).

I’d be pleasantly surprised if we got him as I assumed we signed Watkins as first choice CF but who knows what the club are planning and just how much they can spend? Maybe the tactic is to spend big on players with fairly modest wages... kind of evens out then and a much more sensible and sustainable approach. The fact that we are trying to sign younger players on an “upward trajectory” is really exciting and will stand us in good stead.

Rashica and another winger or WF would be great. Martinez will finally sort our GK position out for the long term. Watkins may well play wide or interchange then...

It will be amazing to have genuine squad depth and competition too...

Who knows how many players we will be signing and what we will spend? The press & “ITKs” simply have no idea...

I’m glad to see that those in charge are not pissing about & realise that the squad needs major improvement to be competitive in the league rather than scrap for survival...

Intent is being demonstrated, exciting times indeed...

The only caveat I can put to this is that squad depth, especially at such high prices, brings its own problems to deal with, pressures which so far DS has not really had due to the ineptitude of previous owners and managers.

He will need to find his best team while keeping everyone happy and without any detriment to the growth of each player. If he succeeds at that this season then we hopefully go again but with greater pressures.

Having Shakespeare in should bring much needed experience plus JT having recent knowledge from the other side will help.

With all the potential pitfalls aside I can feel my blind Villa optimism drowning me already, this feels different to how we have previously gone about our business In regards to the time spent on each transfer, it has a calculated business mannerism which can only be a good thing as we start on a much more professional and strategic path...

UTV

• Like 1

Â