What are the greatest sporting records

colhint

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Ah the good old days, when drug cheats and cover ups meant Olympic heroism. I’m sure the today’s Russians must be totally confused after diligently following the US template for sporting greatness! 

*(But yeah...he was great to watch at the time)

He failed 3 drug tests just before the Olympics but was still cleared to take part :D Just like pretty much every American athlete at that Olympics. And no doubt the 84 Olympics was 100 times worse.

Gotta beat those commies no matter what. And the US is just as bad these days with their Oregon project and what not, but boo Russia they cheat 🙄

Lewis: 'Who cares I failed drug test?'

Carl Lewis has broken his silence on allegations that he was the beneficiary of a drugs cover-up, admitting he had tested positive for banned substances but claiming he was just one of "hundreds" of American athletes who were allowed to escape bans.

"There were hundreds of people getting off," he said. "Everyone was treated the same."

Lewis has now acknowledged that he failed three tests during the 1988 US Olympic trials, which under international rules at the time should have prevented him from competing in the Seoul games two months later.

The admission is a further embarrassment for the United States Olympic Committee, which had initially denied claims that 114 positive tests between 1988 and 2000 were covered up. It will add weight to calls by leading anti-doping officials and top athletes for an independent inquiry into the US's record on drug issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay

3 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Ah the good old days, when drug cheats and cover ups meant Olympic heroism. I’m sure the today’s Russians must be totally confused after diligently following the US template for sporting greatness! 

*(But yeah...he was great to watch at the time)

Yes, the good old days, way back when...2016? :D

What drives Mo Farah? | Sport | The Guardian

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Hit streak ? What does this mean ? What do you have to do per game for a "hit"? 

1 home run a game or something (Sorry,  I don't know baseball at all). 

Read the first post

• Thanks 1

The 200 points in a single season mark has only been reached four times in the history of the NHL—and it was Wayne Gretzky all four times. Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are the only players to ever score more than 160 points in a single season.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

The 200 points in a single season mark has only been reached four times in the history of the NHL—and it was Wayne Gretzky all four times. Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are the only players to ever score more than 160 points in a single season.

Beat me to it. Unless they force goalies to wear micro-pads, those stats will never be even sniffed at. He was so far ahead of everyone apart from Lemieux  who at least was in the ballpark for a few seasons

• Like 2

I used to think it was Seb Coe's 1.41 something in the 800 metres which stood for many years. Bannister being the first to break the 4 minute mile. Lara getting the highest first class score of 501 as well as still holding the record for the highest test score. Ali beating Foreman, that was sensational at the time. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Me too!

I also missed a chance to post this-

071615_dimaggio_med_kd3hwo0v.gif

Thing is if he had scored 1 more he was going  to be sponsored be Heinz (57) for $10k a year. His Salary at the time was 41k, Oh and he went on to marry Marilyn Monroe.

• Like 1

100 centuries in first class cricket. 25 people have done in but only 3 since 1990 (Gooch, Hick and Ramps)

Can't see anyone else ever doing it again. 

• Like 2

On 20/08/2020 at 23:18, Nigel said:

Ronnie o Sullivan's 5 minutes  20 seconds 147!

Watched a video of this the other day. They had a split screen of it alongside mark Selby taking longer than the 5 minutes and 20 seconds to make 1 shot. Incredible really 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 09:47, chappy said:

Don Bradman test average 99.94

So far ahead of other players. 

Made his hundredth hundred in his 295th innings! Amazing. Next was Compton on 552 innings. Hick then at 574. 

• Like 1

Â