What are the greatest sporting records

colhint

What sporting records do you think are great or have such longevity it's hard to imagine they will be broken.

I used to think Bob Beaman's long jump in the 1970 Olympics would take some beating, I think it took about 30 years to be beaten. I recently read about Joe DiMaggio and his 56 game hitting streak. Didn't know what it was but the hitter must get to first base without getting out. I know it doesn't sound much but the most home runs in a season is 73, In cricket you have players scoring 1000 runs a season so getting to first base is important. You only get three strikes and the base is further apart than the wicket, nearly half as much again. It would be like facing Courtney Walsh/ Holding/ Jimmy/ Akram/ Lee  every week and have to score 1.5 runs at least in the first three deliveries each time.

He did this for 56 games.  Next year will be the 80th anniversary of the record. He is still 25% in front of the second place. In the last 40 years there has been a 39 and 44. 

I can't imagine this will ever be broken.

I also don't think Murali's wicket record will ever be broken, Mainly due to more ODI and 20/20 means fewer test matches.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Will anyone break Shearer’s 260 Prem goals?

Of the current contenders, I think Kane looks most likely. Can't see him ever leaving the Premier League or retiring young, and his goals per game ratio is better than Shearer's. Depends how long he manages to stay fit.

Very tough record to break though. Shearer benefited from having a few seasons in the 22-team league, and everyone playing 4-4-2. He retired young from England duty and dragged out his Newcastle career.

Besides Kane, Aguero has a strong chance if he sticks around for another few years, but can't see him doing that.

Of the new crop of players, Mason Greenwood looks the most likely to break a few goalscoring records. Has the potential to get into Ronaldo/Messi territory IMO.

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Very tough record to break though. Shearer benefited from having a few seasons in the 22-team league, and everyone playing 4-4-2. He retired young from England duty and dragged out his Newcastle career.

Yep, also bear in mind that Shearer scored a few top flight goals before the Prem too so his tally would actually be higher.

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Carl Lewis - got to be one of the greatest Olympians ever.

Ah the good old days, when drug cheats and cover ups meant Olympic heroism. I’m sure the today’s Russians must be totally confused after diligently following the US template for sporting greatness! 

*(But yeah...he was great to watch at the time)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

awesome dope GIF by ColdTowne Theater

sadly a cheat, like a lot of athletes in that era

I also recall Daley Thompson Wearing a T-shirt suggesting he was gay With nobody making a song and dance about it at the time

Â