The Phantom Villa XI

Chindie

On 20/08/2020 at 22:35, brummybloke said:

Gary Lineker, he went to spurs instead. The reason was he would cost 1 million or whatever and would have taken our entire summer budget.

Sigh.

Just Google checked... it was eveton he went to not spurz.

No you were actually sort of right.

Not sure if it was just after we got promoted or the season after so summers either 88 or 89.  Lineker wasnt getting games at Barca and there was a big splash on the back of the Evening Mail (In the Days before they became click bait r us) about Graham Taylor wanting to bring young Gary to the Villa.   Not sure how far it went but one of the reasons for not going ahead is as you said would have wiped out the transfer budget and Taylor said it gave Doug heartattacks.

Another one but I cant remember the year.

Sports Argos (Remember that, bombing down to Newsagents at 6pm to see if you could grab a copy) were celebrating an Anniversary not sure what.  They promoted having a big exclusive for the front page in the lead up.

The Exclusive - Villa were going after Trevor Sinclair

I think I still have a copy somewhere

and he didnt come close to signing it was horse dung.

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Gazza when he was at Lazio.  Well he meet Doug on his boat.

Ah yes, my all time favourite player. I remember us being linked with him when he left rangers to Boro. Don't remember the links at Lazio.

Was devastated he didn't come. Loved the bloke. Used to watch him at Ibrox every Xmas with my family up.north. absolute magician

Will always be Juninho for me.

That season was just so incredible. Top of the league in December, that Arsenal home game. Dublin on fire.

It really felt like Juninho would give us huge boost when on top and propel us to the title.

The huge excitement when that blurry photo of the little magician appeared in the Evening Mail him arriving at Villa Park.

I remember the £11 million fee and personal terms were all agreed but collapsed as Doug refused to pay some loyalty bonus of about £500k that Atletico owed to the player (in principle it's quite right, but ultimately it cost us big time)

He never signed and from that moment on the club absolutely nose dived, not even sure we finished top 6 that season?

51 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Ah yes, my all time favourite player. I remember us being linked with him when he left rangers to Boro. Don't remember the links at Lazio.

Was devastated he didn't come. Loved the bloke. Used to watch him at Ibrox every Xmas with my family up.north. absolute magician

Had we signed him Doug would have said he was like a son to him.

McGrath and Gazza in the same team could have been interesting.

Wasn't it said that if Houllier had got another season Cabaye would've signed for us?

I also remember that swedish paper had us linked with a double swoop for Mark Wright and DeanSaunders summer '91. £5m for the both of them. Then both went to liverpool and the rest is a history of Dean Saunders.

On 20/08/2020 at 22:18, VillaChris said:

Was reading Brian Little's book. Said Doug invited Danny Blind over just after euro 96. Gave him a tour of Brum and VP and first time Brian met him was in the VP boardroom! Had no idea we were interested and said there was no room in his squad. A few months later we let McGrath go to Derby and had injuries at the back so he'd have been a useful pick up for a season or two.

Wasn't Roberto Carlos linked in summer 1995?

I worked as a steward at the time and was at villa park on a Thursday late afternoon to "help" with a training session Brazil were having there (it was a post season friendly tournament between england, Sweden, Brazil and Japan)...anyway,  i was strolling to the old trinity road stand (underneath where the corner flag restaurant is) and literally bumped in to Danny Blind walking in the other direction with a few villa officials.....and then Tom Ross appeared so i asked him if it was indeed Danny B. He confirmed it was and TR was off to grab a word with Roberto Carlos when he got off the pitch....or at least try to.

Funny how certain things trigger off memories.....one for the boring thread i guess 😂

Â