The Phantom Villa XI

Chindie

29 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I’m amazed Adebayor hasn’t had a mention. Pictures at BMH only for him to make a u-turn after receiving a message from above (or something!) not to sign for us. 

Somebody did mention it a few pages back!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Robinson

Miguel Bobo Balde   Carlos

Bentley  Micoud De La Red Sneijder 

Falcao   McCarthy Bellamy

Bit attacking

Replace Bellamy with Christian Vieri for a better front line.

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

Pretty sure it was him who went as far as scoring against us and not celebrating after being heavily linked to us.

Yeah it dragged on throughout the January transfer window that one, he wasnt playing at Norwich either, we made a bid and Norwich wouldn't sell him to us after we took Lambert off them

Hoolahan went as far as telling a journalist norwich were a shit house club

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Am I the only one who remembers the Patrick Kluivert rumour? 

No mate, this was around 2001/2002 or maybe at tad earlier and the fee suggested was about 12 million, made a few tabloids at the time 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Would Roberto Carlos count? Can't remember if he was linked at the time or if that was something that came out much later. 

Roy Hodgson told him he would never make it as a full back when at Inter.

On 20/08/2020 at 20:07, HongKongVillan said:

It might have been paper talks in the 90s, but I remember one summer we were heavily linked with Paul Gascoigne, think he was at the football graveyard up north back then. I was buying the mirror on the daily basis just to read how this was all developing. Those lazy A levels days

We did make am approach for Gazza. I saw a documentary when Gazza confirmed it (or someone close to him did). A few English teams made an approach - us and a few others and Glasgow Rangers. As soon as Gazza heard Rangers that was it. There was no thought for any other team.

22 hours ago, Dale said:

Steve Bull was done but for a medical, he'd even got a little graphic done on his car Steve Bull - Aston Villa... A friend of his from the day told me, something on medical wasn't right, so Doug tried to haggle a bit more. 

He'd have been a great buy. Didn't he have his career finished by dodgy knees. 

21 hours ago, thabucks said:

Shearer ? 

11 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Yes I remember that, it was when Ruud Gullit was manager, There were two other players involved apparently coming our way with Shearer from Newcastle as well for £21 million.

I remember the Shearer link - it was when we were near the top of the league under Gregory and we had a pretty much all English team. About 1998 I think. I remember picking up a tabloid and on the backpage was a story about Villa looking to buy Shearer from Newcastle, Sutton from Blackburn and someone else... might have been David Batty? I remember thinking "**** hell!, if we get these we are going to win the league". In the end we signed Merson and Dublin instead. 

• 1 month later...
Â