Jaden Philogene

Kingman

I suppose it's great he has signed, but if he isn't instantly given the opportunity at 19 years of age to show he can be better than Trezeguet then what's the point?

He is a highly rated winger at 19 in a team that isn't known for decent wingers and get has never even made a squad.

He could well be great, but as a club we need to get better and mapping the pathway to the first team.

Signs it's beginning to happen with Ramsey, Chuk and Kessler. Hopefully this guy's omission is more down to the contract situation so hopefully see a bit more of him

• Confused 1

All our wingers have done well enough, Grealish is one one of the best in the world, and you won't find many with better stats than the others outside the top five or six teams.  It's asking a lot for an academy player that's only just turned nineteen to be immediately deemed a better option. I'm pretty sure that there's a plan in place for him to progress to the first team and that will be in part what convinced him to sign a deal with us, as seeminly there was no shortage of other options for him had he thought it unlikely he'd be given a chance with us.

Edited by useless

50 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

I suppose it's great he has signed, but if he isn't instantly given the opportunity at 19 years of age to show he can be better than Trezeguet then what's the point?

He is a highly rated winger at 19 in a team that isn't known for decent wingers and get has never even made a squad.

Mm thats wrong but Ok. Trez is the 4th choice wide player at Villa and our wide players hve contributed 17 league goals and 13 assists this season

1 hour ago, ramshackler said:

He could well be great, but as a club we need to get better and mapping the pathway to the first team.

Signs it's beginning to happen with Ramsey, Chuk and Kessler. Hopefully this guy's omission is more down to the contract situation so hopefully see a bit more of him

I think that whether or not he'd get on the bench hinged on the contract. If he was going to leave anyway, there'd be no point in giving him the time of day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

All our wingers have done well enough, Grealish is one one of the best in the world, and you won't find many with better stats than the others outside the top five or six teams.  It's asking a lot for an academy player that's only just turned nineteen to be immediately deemed a better option. I'm pretty sure that there's a plan in place for him to progress to the first team and that will be in part what convinced him to sign a deal with us, as seeminly there was no shortage of other options for him had he thought it unlikely he'd be given a chance with us.

I seem to remember quite a few contrasting opinions on Jack at 19.....some deemed him lightweight at one time.

All players have varying rates of development....blimey David Platt was a late one, IIRC.

Philogene hasn't even been with us that long, and trials aside I don't think he'd been with another club before we signed him, we were the first to give him a proper chance, I think I read that fifteen clubs had turned him down, including Brentford and Wolves.

So whilst he's done very well for the U18s and U23s, and then on his England U19 debut, in some ways he might not be as far along with his development as most of the other youngsters that have been with us or other professional clubs from a very early age.

I sure he'll get a chance sooner or later.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mm thats wrong but Ok. Trez is the 4th choice wide player at Villa and our wide players hve contributed 17 league goals and 13 assists this season

Yet Trez Comes off the bench most games with JPB nowhere to be seen. The point stands. If he doesn't get in the bench of someone like Trez, who we all agree we will look to upgrade in the summer, then when will he ever get a chance.

Same goes for Kessler and Elmo

As you are well aware those stats hinge mostly on Jack and AEG. While Anwar has a goal in him it's fairly clear most would like him upgraded. 

If when Jack and Bertie are out / injured JPB is still not making the squad why have we bothered signing him

Edited by ramshackler

On 13/12/2020 at 13:56, messi11 said:

I think Philogene-Bidace should be on the bench for the first team very soon

OHHHH I am right!

Bidace can be our new Ashley Young! Huge talent 

• Like 2

Given that both Traoré and Trézéguet were subbed and he still didn't come on, I'm guessing today was more about giving him the match day experience, which in itself is still a step in the right direction for him. I imagine between now and the end of the season we'll be doing similar with our youngsters, and if we're ever comfortable in a game then that might give them a chance to make their debut.

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Not playing for the U23s this afternoon. Unless he's picked up an injury, seemingly a good chance that he will be involved witht the first team squad tonight.

Great news If he starts I might leak a bit of wee 🤣

Â