Jaden Philogene

Kingman

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah hourihane failed to shine. He only played in 2 spectacular through balls that resulted in certain goals. 

Checks list of goalscorers and assisters - yep, Hourihane was shit last night. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its not outdated Like Erling Haaland ,Michail Antonio or Lukaku?, just to mention a few....imagine playing a young centre back against them.. not just their talent, their physicality too.

I think you are confusing the theory of the old fashioned clogger, with not much talent, all muscle.....in such cases, I would agree.

And you are right, the game is physical and the higher the level the less space you find to avoid it....This premier league, is very physical and relentless with it.

Man City may be famed for their tika-taka football, but the discerning eye picks up a physically equipped team, who can mix it, if they have too.

Diminuitive players like Kante and Messi are equally equipped to deal with it ,not just with skill, but they are no shrinking violets either.

Its a huge part of the modern game.....West Ham are a good example of a team well equipped with it and its at the core of their play.

The young kids as you say are still developing and introducing them to the physical side of the game needs to be gradual in synch with their own personal growth....Dean with be well aware of that.

e.g. A young plant has to be protected from the wind/ elements, until it develops......young players are no different.

Look at our own JG before his intense strength building programme with Ollie Stevenson, Jack was forever going to ground, then he came back a different player.

Physicality is a crucial part of the modern game and the new rules will make it more so....but not to be confused with clogging.

Tbf to bobzy, i think he was making the point that 'physicality' being solely based on height/weight is outdated. Which i think is pretty much what you are saying as well.

Shielding the ball, riding challenges, constant closing down and sprints etc, and doing it all for 90 mins while being able to stay mentally switched on enough to keep making the right decisions, to keep making accurate passes - these are the key physical elements you need, and they are not reliant on stature.

Watching JPB last night (and all the other youngsters), it was noticeable that they look to have these qualities. Barrow went out with the mindset to put in some rough challenges, (which by the 2nd half had descended into them trying to hack our players into pieces); yet look at the 6th goal - 88th min and JPB is winning the ball in his own half, driving at speed through the middle leaving players in his wake, plays in Archer (who is himself still full of running), then sprints another 30 yards to get in the box, before setting up the goal. 

Archer, Chuk, Ramsey - they may not look big, but they had opposition players bouncing off them.

I know it was only Barrow, but they look to have the 'legs under them' for making the step up to senior football now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah hourihane failed to shine. He only played in 2 spectacular through balls that resulted in certain goals. 

He didn't put in a foot wrong last night...  What are you talking about???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

With Bailey likely away for a bit, Traore injured too, we should be giving this lad a go.

If you mean on intentional duty, it won’t happen if they have to isolate. No chance. They’re currently waiting to see who blinks first but I imagine it will be the government. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you mean on intentional duty, it won’t happen if they have to isolate. No chance. They’re currently waiting to see who blinks first but I imagine it will be the government. 

It's already happened. Premier league aren't releasing any players for games where they'd need to isolate when they return

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It's already happened. Premier league aren't releasing any players for games where they'd need to isolate when they return

Well there we go then. I don’t really understand why the elite sportsperson rule has been scrapped anyway, seems absurd to me with the testing regimes they have in place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andym said:

Tbf to bobzy, i think he was making the point that 'physicality' being solely based on height/weight is outdated. Which i think is pretty much what you are saying as well.

Shielding the ball, riding challenges, constant closing down and sprints etc, and doing it all for 90 mins while being able to stay mentally switched on enough to keep making the right decisions, to keep making accurate passes - these are the key physical elements you need, and they are not reliant on stature.

Watching JPB last night (and all the other youngsters), it was noticeable that they look to have these qualities. Barrow went out with the mindset to put in some rough challenges, (which by the 2nd half had descended into them trying to hack our players into pieces); yet look at the 6th goal - 88th min and JPB is winning the ball in his own half, driving at speed through the middle leaving players in his wake, plays in Archer (who is himself still full of running), then sprints another 30 yards to get in the box, before setting up the goal. 

Archer, Chuk, Ramsey - they may not look big, but they had opposition players bouncing off them.

I know it was only Barrow, but they look to have the 'legs under them' for making the step up to senior football now. 

Then I agree with Bobzy.

However, I have never thought a single attribute is sufficient in a pro footballer.....many factors need to be mastered to make a good pro level.

I too, thought our lads acclimatised to that very well last night....I can actually see, the gradual change in them coming.

Its a very exciting time, for us.

Another benefit of Grealish leaving is our exciting young players like Jaden now getting a chance and not having their progress stalled by an undroppable stalwart. Him and Carney can genuinely earn the shirt if their performances warrant it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

He's been called up to the England U20 squad alongside Kesler Hayden, surprised that Chukwuemeka isn't with them, thought he might have even sneaked into the U21 team.

U19 for Chukwuemeka. But it’s really encouraging to see our players being called up in all ages. 
Really looking forwards for them to start for us. 

• Thanks 1

Â