Jump to content

Rob Mackenzie - Head of Recruitment


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

 

Lange didn't waist any time.

Edens was looking at Copehagen and now we have Lange, Lange clearly knows MacKenzie and now he has joined.

This has all been on the cards for some time it would seem,. Interesting.

For sure. The long-term thinking is most exciting, the owners have a vision and we are seeing the pieces slot together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bosko Balaban was one of the highest rated young strikers in Europe at the time. Just because he failed doesn't mean he wasn't a talent 

He was absolute shite. In that cup game in uefa cup he looked dreadful.

We really did a bad job signing him. After he left us he didnt do anything major of note either.

Remember the hype with berson as well? Another flop

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He was absolute shite. In that cup game in uefa cup he looked dreadful.

We really did a bad job signing him. After he left us he didnt do anything major of note either.

Remember the hype with berson as well? Another flop

Bosko Balaban always troubles me when I think about him. We hardly gave him a chance really, did we? 9 appearances, 7 as a sub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy enough with this, I've said before that data analysis is the way forward on a number of things, all the top clubs are doing it and have been for a while, just a shame we are having to play catch up! The owners obviously understand it's importance in the future of sport and that's very reassuring, they definitely appear to be progressive which is what this club desperately needed when they took over.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • limpid changed the title to Head of Recruitment - Rob Mackenzie

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

What an insightful piece from our team. You genuinely can’t find this type of quality write up anywhere these days. 

I think they need to summarise that a little, not everyone has the time to wade through an article of that depth.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Bosko Balaban always troubles me when I think about him. We hardly gave him a chance really, did we? 9 appearances, 7 as a sub.

The financial irregularities around the Balaban transfer are one of the reasons why the world changed and why clubs now have dedicated professionals like Mackenzie and Lange dealing with transfers rather than former footballers and dubiously qualified agents. The Balaban deal wasn't a good one for Villa, but it was certainly a good one for someone. Modern owners like a little more oversight and traceability on where their money goes. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zatman said:

What flaws in his character? That he didn't speak English. Better players than Balaban have flopped in England and nobody questioned due diligence or character 

Not every transfer works thats life

Perhaps not then and the fact that our recruitment hasn’t been exactly great, is why we need these new types of guys. I agree no transfer is guaranteed to be a success, we’re dealing with humans after all, but the hope is that in the future we reduce the risk with this more in-depth approach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Stan Collymore, who I think had almost everything as a striker, pace, power an eye for goal and could have played for England for years, didn’t quite make it for the reasons we all know.

Looking back at the way Gregory handled Stan's illness and it wasn't even close to being correct. If Stan would had support things could have been very different. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Perhaps not then and the fact that our recruitment hasn’t been exactly great, is why we need these new types of guys. I agree no transfer is guaranteed to be a success, we’re dealing with humans after all, but the hope is that in the future we reduce the risk with this more in-depth approach. 

Data science is meant to compliment decision-making and not necessarily replace traditional decision-making. As you say, we're dealing with humans afterall, but anything that can narrow our field of scope and focus our efforts in identifying potential targets is a no-brainer imo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tinker said:

Looking back at the way Gregory handled Stan's illness and it wasn't even close to being correct. If Stan would had support things could have been very different. 

Its sad about Collymore mental state but I think he was on the downhill before he came to Villa. Its ifs and buts sadly sad

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • limpid changed the title to Rob Mackenzie - Head of Recruitment
8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its sad about Collymore mental state but I think he was on the downhill before he came to Villa. Its ifs and buts sadly sad

I agree. We'll never know. It's like when people say if Gascoigne signed for United, Ferguson would of helped him more. Unlikely, you just don't know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TRO said:

...his dad picked up the rice where the wedding had been.....maybe its in a dream.

Sounds like a lyric from a Morrissey song.

His dad picked up the rice where the wedding had been,

Maybe its in a dream,

Whoa-whoa-hooooooo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â