Rob Mackenzie - Head of Recruitment

useless

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I was wrong.

These aren't decent, these are brilliant.

We have a man here who is looking at things from a lot of different angles.

Everyone read them.

Very interesting. What the Lange and incoming MacKenzie appointment does is, i think it's gonna put Smith under the lens a lot more forensicly. I was delighted obviously seeing us stay up on the final day but when you look back over the season as a whole, parts were dreadful. I may be way off but it appears they are assembling a very polished team on the sporting director / recruitment side and i think the coaching and playing staffs performance will need to get in line with that also. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Just realised. Pearson and McKenzie at Leicester together. Pearson goes to Derby, McKenzie follows shortly after. Both at Leuven together. Yep, Pearson is getting the job if Smith goes early doors.

No, Mckenzie followed Pearson not the other way around. If Smith goes we won't go for Pearson we will go for a top manager. Pearson would only come in if we had 6 or 7 games to go and we were in deep shit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I was wrong.

Everyone read them.

Dont feel like it now you have told me to 😋

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I was wrong.

Everyone read them.

Agreed.  Brilliant.  Looks like the signing of the summer!

Exciting appointment,

Must admit I was a little worried by the thinking Lange was also the head of recruitment as well as sporting director, but this makes much more sense now  

I’m very on board with signing all these supposed top youngsters.

yes it costs millions more to run the academy but what’s the point in even having an academy if you don’t produce players of a high quality to play for you.

a few diamonds pay for it for many years as well.

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Lange didn't waist any time.

Edens was looking at Copehagen and now we have Lange, Lange clearly knows MacKenzie and now he has joined.

This has all been on the cards for some time it would seem,. Interesting.

And, if it has been on the cards for some time you would expect the new guys would have already had players in mind in terms of targets? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

This guy coupled with Lange sound like the absolute opposite to Suso. Gone is the little black book of names, that gets you a long list of footballers that various agents are trying to push, and in comes the modern list drawn up by hours of analytical assessment. From the little I’ve read, these guys analyse everything from footballing ability, the club the player already plays for, the players character, how they may fit in as players and as people, the point they are at in their career, the list is almost endless. The likelihood of them signing an RMC or Bosco Balaban is pretty much zero. Their due diligence is indeed diligent. 

Bosko Balaban was one of the highest rated young strikers in Europe at the time. Just because he failed doesn't mean he wasn't a talent 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Bosko Balaban was one of the highest rated young strikers in Europe at the time. Just because he failed doesn't mean he wasn't a talent 

No it means we didn’t do proper due diligence which would have revealed the obvious flaws in his character. It isn’t about talent alone as we have seen on so many occasions. Stan Collymore, who I think had almost everything as a striker, pace, power an eye for goal and could have played for England for years, didn’t quite make it for the reasons we all know.

It’s the overall package that is the fine difference between success and failure. This has always been the case, it’s not revolutionary thinking. The difference now is we analyse how all the components come together to make a footballer. Modern football analysis can recognise and put a value on these varied and complex factors, recognise those that are deeply entrenched in a player and the things that can be tweaked and improved on. This doesn’t stop when a players signs it is used to help improve them and improve the team as a whole. It will include football coaches, fitness coaches, psychologists etc, etc. We are playing catch up and this is the stuff that takes time to get into the dna of the club, but we are finally aboard the train. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

No it means we didn’t do proper due diligence which would have revealed the obvious flaws in his character. It isn’t about talent alone as we have seen on so many occasions. Stan Collymore, who I think had almost everything as a striker, pace, power an eye for goal and could have played for England for years, didn’t quite make it for the reasons we all know.

It’s the overall package that is the fine difference between success and failure. This has always been the case, it’s not revolutionary thinking. The difference now is we analyse how all the components come together to make a footballer. Modern football analysis can recognise and put a value on these varied and complex factors, recognise those that are deeply entrenched in a player and the things that can be tweaked and improved on. This doesn’t stop when a players signs it is used to help improve them and improve the team as a whole. It will include football coaches, fitness coaches, psychologists etc, etc. We are playing catch up and this is the stuff that takes time to get into the dna of the club, but we are finally aboard the train. 

What flaws in his character? That he didn't speak English. Better players than Balaban have flopped in England and nobody questioned due diligence or character 

Not every transfer works thats life

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

And, if it has been on the cards for some time you would expect the new guys would have already had players in mind in terms of targets? 

Possibly although they would probably have to be very careful on that and probably wouldn’t have had contact with Smith.

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Possibly although they would probably have to be very careful on that and probably wouldn’t have had contact with Smith.

I’m surprised that gardening leave doesn’t seem to be a thing with football recruitment. You would think that with potentially time sensitive knowledge they’d put a caveat in contracts to take gardening leave prior to new appointments. Come to think of it, I suppose we’ve no evidence that he hasn’t just finished a period of leave with the announcement only coming after its expired?

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What flaws in his character? That he didn't speak English. Better players than Balaban have flopped in England and nobody questioned due diligence or character 

Not every transfer works thats life

Exactly - and not every guy these 2 sign will work out, either. Data is helpful but successful recruitment is not a science.

• Like 1

I imagine he has tools and resources that he has created/put together, a bit like a portfolio that he can take from one place to another, which makes the move from one club to the next an easy process. Clubs will then adopt what he has introduced and then change/adapt how they see fit. So whatever he is bringing to us, you’d imagine that Leicester/Tottenham/Derby all have something similar in place, or at least is built on the foundations that Rob has laid. 

Granted, if he has made a suggestion on a player to the Sporting Director (I assume he is the person doing the initial negotiation?), and he goes to a new club who all of the sudden tries to scupper that deal, then I’d assume there are rules against that...

Thats what I imagine it to be like anyway. Analysis is analysis, there are only so many ways you can analyse players anyway, but it’s about being on the ball with talent coming through the ranks, or who are about to peak or hit form which makes all the difference. That, and whether they suit certain types of play - high press, defensive, etc. 

Probs completely wrong here. I work in IT so, I don’t really know anything other than to switch stuff off and on again, apparently. 

Edited by Tayls

Â