Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Keeps the opposition on their toes of who will play tomorrow.  It makes Brentford’s planning harder because they don’t know how or who we will be starting tomorrow.  Last season we were too predictable that teams could prepare all week knowing our likely team and formation.

This doesn't make any sense as we were coy on injuries last season and were as predictable as you say. With a stronger squad we become less predictable due to personnel and tactical options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

This doesn't make any sense as we were coy on injuries last season and were as predictable as you say.

Of course it makes sense, we short on numbers when fully fit and generally played the same XI in the same way and if anybody got injured we played the same way with a different player.  We were one dimensional.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

With a stronger squad we become less predictable due to personnel and tactical options. 

You are agreeing with me as your initial comment said my comment didn’t make sense but then you agree with everything I said. 🤔

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

Of course it makes sense, we short on numbers when fully fit and generally played the same XI in the same way and if anybody got injured we played the same way with a different player.  We were one dimensional.

You are agreeing with me as your initial comment said my comment didn’t make sense but then you agree with everything I said. 🤔

I was disagreeing with your statement that being coy with injuries in the press would make us less predictable this season. However, I do agree that we need more options, in terms of squad depth, as we were too one dimensional last season. 

I see that his place in the England squad has gone to ..erm... Patrick Bamford. Some people in Leeds will be pleased.

Great that he's back, if only for ten minutes. Missing the internationals can mean concentrating on being fully fit for the Premiership in a fortnight. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're a completely different prospect when he's on the pitch. They did not know what to do with him. 

Delighted to finally see him in the flesh, he is the one player in our team at the moment I know we can rely on. 

This. He completely changes the attacking dynamic of the team. Stretches, unsettles and bullies defenders. Top, top PL CF and now our most important player in the final third. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

I see that his place in the England squad has gone to ..erm... Patrick Bamford. Some people in Leeds will be pleased.

Great that he's back, if only for ten minutes. Missing the internationals can mean concentrating on being fully fit for the Premiership in a fortnight. 

Remember when those Leeds fans were chanting Bamford's name whenever Ollie touched it in the Euros warm-up.

:crylaugh:

On 27/08/2021 at 14:46, Made In Aston said:

This doesn't make any sense as we were coy on injuries last season and were as predictable as you say. With a stronger squad we become less predictable due to personnel and tactical options. 

To be honest, even with a fully fit squad it didn't usually take a lot of reasoning to figure out how we would line up last season....

Been going off topic in the Smith thread so let's take it here. 

I'm not saying Watkins will make no difference for us but what we need is creativity, and Watkins won't help much with that. 

Watkins like most strikers is reliant on service. I remember he was feeding on absolute scraps when Grealish was injured. And Ings is the same now. Barely getting any chances. 

In that sense Bailey is the player we are the most desperate for to come back. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Been going off topic in the Smith thread so let's take it here. 

I'm not saying Watkins will make no difference for us but what we need is creativity, and Watkins won't help much with that. 

Watkins like most strikers is reliant on service. I remember he was feeding on absolute scraps when Grealish was injured. And Ings is the same now. Barely getting any chances. 

In that sense Bailey is the player we are the most desperate for to come back. 

Have you not watched Watkins play at all, I myself am almost sure he creates. It's different when he's the last man up front he shouldn't be looking to create, he should be looking at getting a goal and bypassing defences. It's different then when he's coming back into midfield he does create, he's also so tough to get off the ball and he does pass it on smartly, you could see that against brentford.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Have you not watched Watkins play at all, I myself am almost sure he creates. It's different when he's the last man up front he shouldn't be looking to create, he should be looking at getting a goal and bypassing defences. It's different then when he's coming back into midfield he does create, he's also so tough to get off the ball and he does pass it on smartly, you could see that against brentford.

Have you forgotten how the whole team struggled without Grealish last season?

Watkins and Ings need service they ain't playmakers.

Really hope you are right but I can't see Watkins being back will result in us suddenly creating lots of chances.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Have you forgotten how the whole team struggled without Grealish last season?

Watkins and Ings need service they ain't playmakers.

Really hope you are right but I can't see Watkins being back will result in us suddenly creating lots of chances.

We didn't struggle every game last season without Grealish. Also it was a test for them to learn to play without Grealish, despite some losses, Draws. They did rather well it's just some officiating and Var decisions also made those losses seem like they were just losses and that was it. Now sure Creativity is welcomed but we've brought in Buendia and Bailey and it will be there once everyone is fully fit again.

Sure if I had the choice I'd bring another creative player in as well as a defensive midfielder, I just don't think it will happen now unfortunately. 

I do see your point but I also think there are other things being overlooked here than simply saying Watkins isn't creative enough or that we arnt creative enough without Grealish.

We will be fine till January.

Edited by Dave-R

On 29/08/2021 at 09:23, Tomaszk said:

Remember when those Leeds fans were chanting Bamford's name whenever Ollie touched it in the Euros warm-up.

:crylaugh:

Must have made up Southgate’s mind haha

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I'd argue, he created a chunk of his goals last season, by himself!

With some help, I expect him to be even better,

• Like 1

The amount of space he will have is scary because the defenders will be occupied with tracking Ings movement, and then Watkins causing havoc with diagonal runs behind, can't wait , then add Bailey's pace + Buendia's creativity, we're looking good 

I don't know how Smith is gonna find the balance, but with those 4 as our attacking threat is super exciting.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

The amount of space he will have is scary because the defenders will be occupied with tracking Ings movement, and then Watkins causing havoc with diagonal runs behind, can't wait , then add Bailey's pace + Buendia's creativity, we're looking good 

I don't know how Smith is gonna find the balance, but with those 4 as our attacking threat is super exciting.

Ings

Watkins                                  Bailey

McGinn                  Buendia

Luiz

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 3

With the pace and endurance he has Ollie frustrates defenders without being over the top creative.

He is a very important cog in our machine if you will and can't wait to see him in action again.

Â