Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

7 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I don’t know why we are so coy as a club on injuries

Keeps the opposition on their toes of who will play tomorrow.  It makes Brentford’s planning harder because they don’t know how or who we will be starting tomorrow.  Last season we were too predictable that teams could prepare all week knowing our likely team and formation.

For someone like Watkins, he's key to how we play so if he was fit I'd say he's 50:50 or of he's out I'd say he's 50:50. Means Brentford don't know who to prepare for. All football teams now do massive preparation of the opponents

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Keeps the opposition on their toes of who will play tomorrow.  It makes Brentford’s planning harder because they don’t know how or who we will be starting tomorrow.  Last season we were too predictable that teams could prepare all week knowing our likely team and formation.

I used to think this but honestly it’s not mind games. I can’t think of the last time we stated someone was out on the Friday and they played that Saturday or whatever. It just doesn’t happen. We aren’t exactly blessed with first team numbers in our squad so predicting who will play based on someone being out isn’t hard either.

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I used to think this but honestly it’s not mind games. I can’t think of the last time we stated someone was out on the Friday and they played that Saturday or whatever. It just doesn’t happen. We aren’t exactly blessed with first team numbers in our squad so predicting who will play based on someone being out isn’t hard either.

It is mind games though because Dean will know who his starting XI will be tomorrow by now.  Leaving the ambiguity out there for the press is to hold out some kind of edge over the opposition, as little as that would be.  Plus our first team numbers now mean that we can set up slightly different as needs be between 433, 4231 or even 442 (unlikely).  The oppositions set up may vary depending on that and also who marks who.  Likely at set pieces for example that a different player would mark Ollie compared to Ings because of style and positioning.  These things make huge differences in games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It is mind games though because Dean will know who his starting XI will be tomorrow by now.  Leaving the ambiguity out there for the press is to hold out some kind of edge over the opposition, as little as that would be.  Plus our first team numbers now mean that we can set up slightly different as needs be between 433, 4231 or even 442 (unlikely).  The oppositions set up may vary depending on that and also who marks who.  Likely at set pieces for example that a different player would mark Ollie compared to Ings because of style and positioning.  These things make huge differences in games.

Especially when we have everyone fit and we've experience of 4 4 2 / 4 2 3 1 / 4 3 3 / 3 5 2 

Means we can change it up and are unpredictable

20 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Agree with you.

The argument of smokescreens and mind games around injuries is just ridiculous and doesn't actually give us any advantage whatsoever on match day.

Imagine thinking as a manager that you might have to face Leon Bailey and having to face El Ghazi instead. You'd be rubbing your hands finding that out, not suddenly adjusting your game plan in a mad scramble to cope with our non-existent threat down the left (or right, or through the middle, as the case may be).

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Especially when we have everyone fit and we've experience of 4 4 2 / 4 2 3 1 / 4 3 3 / 3 5 2 

Means we can change it up and are unpredictable

How about 5 4 2 and a rush back goalie?

• Haha 1

Has a player actually ever played when Smith said they were 50/50 or will assess in the morning? 

Personally think there is more to this, than Watkins just being injured. Has his head been turned or has the signing of Ings pissed him off. Doesn’t strike me as this kind of character but just have a feeling.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Has a player actually ever played when Smith said they were 50/50 or will assess in the morning? 

Personally think there is more to this, than Watkins just being injured. Has his head been turned or has the signing of Ings pissed him off. Doesn’t strike me as this kind of character but just have a feeling.

WHAT?! 🤣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

Ancient aliens. You know it's ancient aliens. Always is.

Just now, Mantis said:

I've got a pretty wild theory, bear with me here.

What if, and it's a big if, he's simply injured and Smith is cautious about putting him back in because he doesn't want to aggravate the injury and because we now have Ings?

Read my reply

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I've got a pretty wild theory, bear with me here.

What if, and it's a big if, he's simply injured and Smith is cautious about putting him back in because he doesn't want to aggravate the injury and because we now have Ings?

Yep we have a long season, where Bailey,  Buendia and Traore are going to missing at certain points due to internationals. No point rushing Watkins back now and risk losing him for longer 

36 minutes ago, WHY said:

What is his actual injury, thought it was bruised knee but just read it’s a hamstring. 

Well the hamstring crosses the knee and if there is damage to the muscle there is bruising, so a bruised knee is theoretically not incorrect

Math Books GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Â