Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I just think Young has something extra to offer offensively. Looked really good in pre-season, has really surprised me since his arrival at just how good he still is. He can play absolutely anywhere on that LHS to a very high standard.

I agree Young has looked good and offers more going forwards. I’d probably play him instead of Axel. They’ll all probably get plenty of game time though, I’d imagine. A nice dilemma for Deano and co. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Targett is much better than Cash at the moment (and I’m saying Cash is bad at any case)

Not sure I agree with that.  I dont think there is much difference in my opinion and I definitely dont think Cash is bad as you are saying in brackets.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, thunderball said:

That would be electric, as long as the midfield was solid. I could see at home vs weaker sides:

Watkins      Ings     Bailey

Young  Sanson  Buendia  Cash

Tuenzebe  Mings  Konsa

Martinez

The one problem I felt we had last season is we got caught out by having slow CBs caught by faster players. An Example was Ming's being the last man at the half way line and got steam rolled at times on the opposition counter. For me I'd change it up a little and add cash and target to the back three adding speed. I know some wouldn't do it that way but if we can keep the ball alot longer further up the pitch, see much less at the back then maybe it's a change that can be implemented throughout games.

3 CBs for defending jobs deffo, but if we're all out attacking most game now that's a change I'd like to see I think.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wish, even I dont think that would happen.  It is funny that the links we have over the summer that have been ex players, we gone onto signing and when the rumours have been circulating before that they have said those names plus Tammy.  We have brought back into the club both Ashley and Axel, I wonder if the third name in would be Tammy being brought back in.  I highly doubt it now but that would blow some of the heads in this forum who are already fuming about bringing back two former Villa players.  Definitely isnt going to happen but would be extremely funny to see the meltdown here.

The thing I'm more amazed at is that we were told Ollie cant be played wide or wont be played wide for another striker but then suddenly since Ings has signed it has suddenly become an option.  I never said Ollie should play wide ever and even since Ings signed I havent said it but it is amazing that was thrown in our face as an excuse not to buy another striker yet now it is commonly discussed as a reasonable option.  Villa fans are weird.

I seem to also remember a few saying Watkins was indestructible, not so much to day uh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree with that.  I dont think there is much difference in my opinion and I definitely dont think Cash is bad as you are saying in brackets.

I was thinking the same about Cash. He seems to have dipped since his early form. Targett is a much better football player. Cash needs to be more confident and not take the safe option every time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I meant (and I’m not saying that Cash is bad at any case). But currently Targett is one of our most techinically gifted players. He added hard working to his game. I’m still hoping that Cash would reach those levrls, but if we need to play Young, we should look at replacing him with Cash rather than Targett.

Will Ollie be ok with the Ings signing or get the hump?

I see Ings playing a bit deeper behind Ollie, not necessarily Ollie out wide.

so I see the 2 being ok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Why would he get the hump? Fairly standard to have more than one player per position.  Not sure we can do anything if Ollie does get the hump, we have to protect ourselves, have to have options and any top clubs he’d have the same issue.  I doubt it’s an issue for him, he’ll love the competition and also they can work together and learn from each other.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

so I see the 2 being ok.

I can see Watkins, ings and Bailey playing as a front 3 similar to how Liverpool operate, will be plenty of opportunity for goals and assists for all of them I think.

Just hope watkins is ok from today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Another thing I found odd was when ings screamed out for him to lay it out square tk him for a tap in but he decided to shoot.

Didn’t matter much today, but in a proper game I’d have been annoyed.

Maybe just used to being up there by himself? Or thought it’s a friendly I’m just gonna shoot?

Ollie is just not used to having anyone to lay it off to, he soon will though. 

He needs to be fighting it out with Ings for the number 9 spot. This idea that he is going to replace Grealish on the left is a symptom of the last 10 years of bad management. 

Just because we finally have two competent strikers and a bit of squad depth, it doesn’t mean Watkins has to be shoehorned out to the left. We should sign a left sided attacker and Watkins/Ings will fight it out for that no. 9 spot. If we decide to change formation or we’re chasing a game then great, we have options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

so I see the 2 being ok.

100% both are starting and Ollie is a pro, it won't take him long to click with Danny. I'd imagine Deano wants them all on, the formation is going to have to accommodate Ollie, Ings, Buendia, Bailey and somewhere somehow Ash(maybe).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I can see Watkins, ings and Bailey playing as a front 3 similar to how Liverpool operate, will be plenty of opportunity for goals and assists for all of them I think.

Just hope watkins is ok from today.

Agree and I think Ings will be on the left interchanging with Ollie. Bailey on the right.

From what I've seen today, I'd go a 3 behind of Ash, SJM(holding) Emi2.

Back 5 pick themselves.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He needs to be fighting it out with Ings for the number 9 spot. This idea that he is going to replace Grealish on the left is a symptom of the last 10 years of bad management. 

Just because we finally have two competent strikers and a bit of squad depth, it doesn’t mean Watkins has to be shoehorned out to the left. We should sign a left sided attacker and Watkins/Ings will fight it out for that no. 9 spot. If we decide to change formation or we’re chasing a game then great, we have options. 

I think they’ll be playing together, I really do, as a front three with Bailey.  I don’t think anybody will be thrown out wide. I think they’ll play like the Liverpool front three not like last seasons Villa front three.  It’ll be three forwards rather than a striker with two wingers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Agree and I think Ings will be on the left interchanging with Ollie. Bailey on the right.

From what I've seen today, I'd go a 3 behind of Ash, SJM(holding) Emi2.

Back 5 pick themselves.

Not being rude, but that midfield 3 would get destroyed. Has Ashley Young ever played CM? Buendia CM and McGinn holding seems very lightweight.

It seems like we’re just shoe-horning our best players/new signings in.

I don’t think we should change shape and I think it should be Ings or Watkins. Buendia has always played his best football on the right for Norwich too.

RM is Buendia/ Traore 
CAM is McGinn/ Sanson/ Chuk
LM is Bailey/ El Ghazi/ JPB

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Ollie and Ings in my fantasy draft team (draft was before the signing). My other striker is Vardy. But I'm thinking about Lukaku on the waiver even though Chelsea seems to be where strikers go to die.

I really want to believe we'll find a way to play them together like as Liverpool front three as @MaVilla suggested, but is it a hopium overdose to think we'll have two players near the top of the scoring charts next year?

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Not being rude, but that midfield 3 would get destroyed. Has Ashley Young ever played CM? Buendia CM and McGinn holding seems very lightweight.

It seems like we’re just shoe-horning our best players/new signings in.

I don’t think we should change shape and I think it should be Ings or Watkins. Buendia has always played his best football on the right for Norwich too.

RM is Buendia/ Traore 
CAM is McGinn/ Sanson/ Chuk
LM is Bailey/ El Ghazi/ JPB

You're probably right and in all honesty I think it's sensible to blood the newbies carefully. I'd be surprised if Bailey gets straight in having never trained with us yet.

Ings will start, I'm sure of it, emi2 too if fit.

Maybe I'm being over sentimental about Ash but he has looked great pre season and he looks fir enough for it. Hope he gets minutes.

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

You're probably right and in all honesty I think it's sensible to blood the newbies carefully. I'd be surprised if Bailey gets straight in having never trained with us yet.

Ings will start, I'm sure of it, emi2 too if fit.

Maybe I'm being over sentimental about Ash but he has looked great pre season and he looks fir enough for it. Hope he gets minutes.

I agree, be surprised if Bailey makes the bench at Watford at this point.

Young has looked good, I would love to see him LW again for a few games. I know Watkins played there a few times for Brentford but his best season by far is when he was moved centrally. I'm not sure he's a winger at this level - great striker though.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

so I see the 2 being ok.

Reminds me of when we signed Garry Thompson to play alongside Andy Gray.

4 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I agree, be surprised if Bailey makes the bench at Watford at this point.

Young has looked good, I would love to see him LW again for a few games. I know Watkins played there a few times for Brentford but his best season by far is when he was moved centrally. I'm not sure he's a winger at this level - great striker though.

Defo don't fix what's not broke with regards to Ollie.

Exciting times Mr Cizzler

Â