Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Could you imagine the angst on here right now if we hadn't have got Ings in. 

On reflection we were SO lucky last season that he played so many games.  It would have been a complete disaster if he'd had got a bad I jury last season. 

this...i'm suddenly so much more relaxed about things now. but we're likely to be a bit makeshift for watford, depending on the injuries to buendia and watkins. traore isn't up to speed yet and bailey isn't likely to be ready. could be just el ghazi and ings as the 100% fit forward players

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

On reflection we were SO lucky last season that he played so many games.  It would have been a complete disaster if he'd had got a bad I jury last season. 

Some of us have been shouting this from the roof tops for ages.  I’m still amazed how many said it wasn’t needed before we signed Ings.  Even if Ollie is ok, hopefully the scare jolts some people how lucky we were last season and how desperately we needed another quality striker, thankfully we now have Ings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wasn't exactly gushing in praise when Ings scored ! For a guy who smiles a lot that was one hell of a scowl !!!

Most top teams accommodate at least two top strikers, why should we be different ? Or do our fans like to look for potential  problems in our squad ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, smg said:

Most top teams accommodate at least two top strikers, why should we be different ? Or do our fans like to look for potential  problems in our squad ?

Are we a top team yet though ?

Sure if we were playing in CL etc - we could easily rotate the two.

If you want to play Ollie + Ings it can't be as two strikers. One will have to go wide.

Edited by hippo

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wasn't exactly gushing in praise when Ings scored ! For a guy who smiles a lot that was one hell of a scowl !!!

Another thing I found odd was when ings screamed out for him to lay it out square tk him for a tap in but he decided to shoot.

Didn’t matter much today, but in a proper game I’d have been annoyed.

Maybe just used to being up there by himself? Or thought it’s a friendly I’m just gonna shoot?

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Are we a top team yet though ?

Sure if we were playing in CL etc - we could easily rotate the two.

If you want to play Ollie + Ings it can't be as two strikers. One will have to go wide.

Not if you play the Liverpool front three style which I can see Ings, Watkins and Bailey playing.  You aren’t playing wide then, you’re playing central and two slightly off centre.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not if you play the Liverpool front three style which I can see Ings, Watkins and Bailey playing.  You aren’t playing wide then, you’re playing central and two slightly off centre.

That would be electric, as long as the midfield was solid. I could see at home vs weaker sides:

Watkins      Ings     Bailey

Young  Sanson  Buendia  Cash

Tuenzebe  Mings  Konsa

Martinez

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'm still in the let's get Tammy in, just in case Watkins is ruled out for abit and Ings goes gets injured. We already are Davis down and a Wesley possibly being abit more in rehabilitation right?

We have the coinage from Jack or extra spending however you see it theoney is there to pull Tammy in now Jack's not here on his high wages.

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We still need a certain someone don't we Nick? To many missing CFs for a season that's not even begun yet ay Nick 🤣

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thunderball said:

That would be electric, as long as the midfield was solid. I could see at home vs weaker sides:

Watkins      Ings     Bailey

Young  Sanson  Buendia  Cash

Tuenzebe  Mings  Konsa

Martinez

No place for Matt Target?

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I just think Young has something extra to offer offensively. Looked really good in pre-season, has really surprised me since his arrival at just how good he still is. He can play absolutely anywhere on that LHS to a very high standard.

Edited by thunderball

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Be careful here mate your about to get shot down if you put Target on the left of a back 3, apparently it has to be 3 CBs or nothing 🤣

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I just think Young has something extra to offer offensively. Looked really good in pre-season, has really surprised me since his arrival at just how good he still is.

Then we might use him at the right. Targett is much better than Cash at the moment (and I’m saying Cash is bad at any case).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We still need a certain someone don't we Nick? To many missing CFs for a season that's not even begun yet ay Nick 🤣

I wish, even I dont think that would happen.  It is funny that the links we have over the summer that have been ex players, we gone onto signing and when the rumours have been circulating before that they have said those names plus Tammy.  We have brought back into the club both Ashley and Axel, I wonder if the third name in would be Tammy being brought back in.  I highly doubt it now but that would blow some of the heads in this forum who are already fuming about bringing back two former Villa players.  Definitely isnt going to happen but would be extremely funny to see the meltdown here.

The thing I'm more amazed at is that we were told Ollie cant be played wide or wont be played wide for another striker but then suddenly since Ings has signed it has suddenly become an option.  I never said Ollie should play wide ever and even since Ings signed I havent said it but it is amazing that was thrown in our face as an excuse not to buy another striker yet now it is commonly discussed as a reasonable option.  Villa fans are weird.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

Â