Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

With this season's thicker VAR lines alone he would have been close to 20 goals last season. 

I don't understand how thicker VAR lines make any difference? Surely a line is a line, you'll just have one thicker line ahead of another, unless forwards have thicker lines than defenders? 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I don't understand how thicker VAR lines make any difference? Surely a line is a line, you'll just have one thicker line ahead of another, unless forwards have thicker lines than defenders? 

He wouldn't be offside by a toenail anymore basically.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

He wouldn't be offside by a toenail anymore basically.

I understand the concept but don't understand how thicker lines achieve this.  As stated, you will just have one thicker line ahead of another thicker line. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I understand the concept but don't understand how thicker lines achieve this.  As stated, you will just have one thicker line ahead of another thicker line. 

The line would be thicker than a toenail, so what was offside last year, would be covered by the extra thickness of the line and be onside as a result. Or at least that's how I imagine it.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it’s the old ‘on the line is in’ thing, and if the line is thicker people will be onside more…

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's weird but I'll polarize it.

Imagine the line was 10 yards deep. If a defender and attacker are both on the line, the attacker is onside.

Obviously the lines aren't  going to be 10 meters, but last season they had all the depth of a Danny Mills full-time analysis.

I **** hate that word removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I think it’s the old ‘on the line is in’ thing, and if the line is thicker people will be onside more…

Ok, so even if one line is "ending" at it's edge further forward than another, as long as there is some overlap, it's counted as level.  

It was one pixel last year. Which given the rubbish resolution, and the fact the frame may not have been taken at exactly the point the ball left the players foot, means that there will always be a margin of error.

Using one pixel didn't allow for that error. By making the line thicker, and allowing overlapping lines to be considered onside removes the margin of error.

There is still going to be a situatiuon in which a player is offside because of one pixel, so there's still that same margin, it's just shifting the line in the attacker's favour. 

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It was one pixel last year. Which given the rubbish resolution, and the fact the frame may not have been taken at exactly the point the ball left the players foot, means that there will always be a margin of error.

Using one pixel didn't allow for that error. By making the line thicker, and allowing overlapping lines to be considered onside removes the margin of error.

like i said before with reference to the Euros, the difference there was they seemingly didnt draw lines, they didnt get the geometry kit out and spend 5 mins clawing over it trying to find some milometer reason to disallow it

20 seconds, looks offside then he's offside, if the answer is "oooh i dunno" then what did the lino give? onside? then he's onside

**** all these lines and margin of error and all that guff, does he look offside yes or no? apply some common sense to it all, instead we have PGMOL trying to come up with the cleverest person in the room solution to it all when nobody wants that shit, offside as a science...get out of it

edit - and the other main thing is VAR is not part of the entertainment...dont make it this big song and dance and present it like its great for the viewer! its not, just do your job and keep it in house, all this big screen VAR check nonsense has to go, i dont want sky showing me the lines and debating it endlessly, im happy with a box in the corner saying VAR check done

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

I don't get the line thickness either to be honest. A line is a line and they used the furthest extremity of the line to decipher if it was on or off, so you could have 100 metre thick lines and based on the same process it wouldn't make a difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

I don't get the line thickness either to be honest. A line is a line and they used the furthest extremity of the line to decipher if it was on or off, so you could have 100 metre thick lines and based on the same process it wouldn't make a difference.

They're accepting any overlap as 'onside'.

1 minute ago, AndyClarke said:

Thickness is the wrong phrase, the proposal in essentially for the line to be slightly further behind the defender. Enough to allow for ‘level’.

Â