Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

24 minutes ago, birdman said:

Hourihane held back by his workrate. You need that as a minimum in the Prem.

Hourihane works hard. He is just limited by his technical and athletic gifts. Where he isn't strong or large enough to consistently challenge other midfielders but isn't fast enough to be in good positions for interceptions or recovering loose balls. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Watkins is a stalker, he is without a doubt a football stalker, he will hound you, he will harrass you, he will stick to your behind like a fly around shit.

Without a doubt he is one player I would not like to have on my case, I bet there are many players who have nightmares after games with him. You can bet when it comes to next season the moment we start playing teams some players are going to look at Watkins and think not this F'ing guy again. I mean if Watkins takes all that he's learnt in and it makes him even better at doing what he does now then God help the defenses of this league. I am actually starting to feel sorry for them in a slight way, it must be head mashing.

Let's face it how many goals he's on now? Around 14? He would of been over twenty I reckon if there were no bad ref decisions or vars throwing his goals out, I think our season would of certainly been better.

Watkins is such a wonder player for us that  we've waited for such a long time for a striker like him to come through the door and be ace at it.

I have definately waited so long for a player like him and he will get better IMO.

His off the ball work, is so impressive too....thats another sign of top class.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's not just the goals - he chases, harries and gets into defenders - he's quick enough to get onto a bad touch and big enough to knock you over when he get there. He makes great runs, he's got terrific energy, he gets out wide, he creates space for others, he holds the ball up well and he presses defences like he's two men. He's a bully.

AND he's scoring goals.

its all that that has impressed me so much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Hourihane works hard. He is just limited by his technical and athletic gifts. Where he isn't strong or large enough to consistently challenge other midfielders but isn't fast enough to be in good positions for interceptions or recovering loose balls. 

He was limited physically but I don't see that as an excuse not to get stuck in. Often he would be a passenger but it didnt have to be that way imo. 

4 minutes ago, Denaldinho said:

haha sky sports linking Ollie to spurs cannot make this stuff up.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15052385/chelsea-harry-kane-transfer-tottenham-ollie-watkins/

They can and do make this stuff up every day. It’s all click bait bullshit. 

Take this article by the S*n. It says Tuchel would like to sign Kane, he’s a good player, but under contract. Then goes on to say Man City are leading the race, before some comments from Cascarino that he things Watkins is a good player and Spurs should try and sign him. 

There’s no news in any of that, just recycled lazy opinion pulled together with a headline designed to attract fans to click. Journalism has hit rock bottom in 2021. 

And to cap it all off, that article was written by Gary Stonehouse (who?!)

Nobody with that name is likely to have the inside scoop on big club transfer dealings.

Ollie is near irreplaceable for us. Quality strikers who both score and do the kind of work off the ball we've come to expect from Ollie are very hard to find. Even £40m is no guarantee of a good striker these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa87 said:

I think he makes the England squad. Too top player - perfect for us!

I think he has a big chance as Southgate LOVES workrate. I'm sure the players will have had the calls by now and we'll find out tomorrow 🤞

Edited by birdman

I've a feeling he will make it.  As others have said all through this thread, it's not just about his goals, it's about his all round play and work rate.  This makes him a different proposition to a lot of other strikers and a football man like Southgate SHOULD recognise that. He probably thinks himself that Ollie would be a nightmare to play against as a defender. 

Just now, sidcow said:

I've a feeling he will make it.  As others have said all through this thread, it's not just about his goals, it's about his all round play and work rate.  This makes him a different proposition to a lot of other strikers and a football man like Southgate SHOULD recognise that. He probably thinks himself that Ollie would be a nightmare to play against as a defender. 

They'll need a third striker, so it's either Ollie or Mason Greenwood. I'd fancy Ollie for the two.

18 hours ago, Mantis said:

Ollie is near irreplaceable for us. Quality strikers who both score and do the kind of work off the ball we've come to expect from Ollie are very hard to find. Even £40m is no guarantee of a good striker these days.

I don't think he can be replaced and like Grealish and Martinez those are three players we must continue to build around and find more like them but for the other positions on the field.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2020 at 14:30, useless said:

If Watkins scores fifteen or more goals next season and he'll be worth £50m plus straight away, I wouldn't put it past him to get an England call up, that would also add to his value.

Hopefully he makes the final squad.

33 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That he's in the squad presumably over Bamford , just makes it all the sweeter

Leeds fans are screwing over it too!

• Haha 1

Â