Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Hopefully if Villa sign him in the summer, this will be the player we sign from Chelsea that Deano can actually 'Get into the England Squad', which was stated to Barkley when he joined us.

No reason why Tammy cannot get on the plane to the world cup if this all materialised.

Back OT, I would love to see Ollie named in the Euro 2020 squad.

Yep i want tammy despite us having ollie

• Like 2

Team xG for the season is 60.48 and actual goals is 53 - We should have scored 14% more goals

Team xG against is 53.30 and actual is 45 (down to Emi being amazing)

While Watkins xG is 15.7 and actual is 14. He should have scored 12% more goals.

We need to improve the attack. Leeds for example have xG for and actual goals scored at 59.

Watkins needs to improve the finishing next season, he's just not a natural. The strikers who are natural are also great penalty takers.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Team xG for the season is 60.48 and actual goals is 53 - We should have scored 14% more goals

While Watkins xG is 15.7 and actual is 14. He should have scored 12% more goals.

We need to improve the attack. Leeds for example have xG for and actual goals scored at 59.

Watkins needs to improve the finishing next season, he's just not a natural. The strikers who are natural are also great penalty takers.

Interesting analysis. 

I think Watkins has been great, but it shows he can still improve. He seems to be his own biggest critic though, so I’m certain he will. 

On a positive note, he’s clearly getting in the positions to generate xG.

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I would also add that I used to think that finishing couldn’t be coached. I thought it was natural. There is certainly a natural component, but Pep changed my mind with Sterling.

I used to, and still do to some degree, think Sterling is the most infuriating player. I’d watch him for England terrorise defences, then get to the final 18 yards and shank it wide or over. I just accepted that he was never going to be the player I wanted him to be. Through Pep’s coaching his decision making in the final third has improved tremendously. He’ll never be Ian Rush, and he still does baffling things, but his finishing and goal return improved no end. 

If we do that with Ollie we’ll have some player. We already do, but y’know, he could be something else.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Patrick Bamford is 18.05 and scored 16. Calvert Lewin is 17.5 and scored 16. While for Ollie you would say his work other than scoring is higher than both.

🤮

Jack is a god on all stats, xG 4.98 and scored 6 and xA 8.29 and he's had 10 assists. Shows he is a good finisher and he creates chances nobody else could. 

Anwar, Jack and McGinn the only players with more goals than expected. (El Ghazi converting all his penalties where they have a 0.78xg a key factor).

Trezeguet is worst in team for goals to xG. Bert, Barkley Watkins all scored less than expected. 

If we have Jack fit for a season we'd create more chances and if we have improvements in attack we will convert more of these chances. This can improve us a lot next season.

Especially when you consider how many 1 goal defeats we've had. On top of draws turning into wins.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think he is a natural

Very very rarely thrashes at anything or just smashes it goal wards, more often than not he will do exactly what we are told players are meant to do, low and hard across the keeper, when to go near post when to go far etc he gets all of that right

Better luck with the woodwork, some improvements with heading, at times just a bit of confidence

Finishing and penalties are 2 different things, penalties are a mental thing, every professional footballer should be able to hit an unsavable penalty, when the tingling in the belly starts they seem to forget it though 

Jack is a god on all stats, xG 4.98 and scored 6 and xA 8.29 and he's had 10 assists. Shows he is a good finisher and he creates chances nobody else could. 

Anwar, Jack and McGinn the only players with more goals than expected. (El Ghazi converting all his penalties where they have a 0.78xg a key factor).

Trezeguet is worst in team for goals to xG. Bert, Barkley Watkins all scored less than expected. 

If we have Jack fit for a season we'd create more chances and if we have improvements in attack we will convert more of these chances. This can improve us a lot next season.

Kind of formalises what we all think about Trez's  finishing. What is Barkley's actual xG figure?  

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Dion got 12 in 99/00.

Ollie is exceptional and is only going to get better, he’s been denied by several dreadful decisions (we should have had more pens for fouls on him too).

He’s one of our very best strikers in yonks & since Benteke, and he offers a lot more in play. I haven’t seen such a hardworking, tireless player coupled with so much talent. He terrifies and harasses opposition defenders!

The game’s moved on from basic tap in merchants and bog standard CFs.

He deserves to be our no. 1 striker for the foreseeable future. I expect him to score a shedload with better and more in-form/consistent players around him. He’s going to enjoy next season backed by the roaring support of the Villa faithful…

Just now, CVByrne said:

Barkley had pretty terrible time of it, xG of only 3.58 and scored 3 of them. Just never got into positions to score and didn't score enough of those chances. 

Wow, that's freaking terrible for a player in his position.

What timescale is that averaged over? 

It's all this season's stats in the Premier League 

Christ. 3.58 over the season with 24 starts and 6 sub appearances. That is groin achingly awful. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hes level with Joachim as our highest goal scorer in a Premier League season. Hope he beats it against Chelsea 

when you think about the disallowed goals too, he should already have beaten it. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Points taken, but let's keep in real, Ollie has had to MAKE a huge chunk of his own goals, himself.

If he had better support, I have no doubt he would have alot more goals.

As the support system gets stronger, so will he.

Consider the time Jack was out, as well as the amount of dubious VAR and offside decisions he has had against him as well.

He might not be the most complete finisher, but I don't necessarily see it as a weakness.

• Like 1

Â