Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I agree we need to he careful, we have been bitten by players that flatter to decieve more than most.

But also there are clearly players in the lower leagues who can step up to the prem.

We just have to hope we find those players now, and not the former.

I agree.

and its an expensive trait to have.....hope we are more prudent, moving forward.

I think its the leagues we buy in....deceive us.......but Brentford, seem to be a club, very adept at that.

32 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

If we're comparing Abraham and Watkins in the Championship then the following stats might be useful.

Abraham

26 goals from 94 shots

4 assists

pass completion rate 70%

Watkins

26 goals from 86 shots

4 assists

pass completion rate 75%

Having watched  both players regularly my honest opinion is that Watkin's all round game which includes a bigger engine and greater pace, makes him a slightly better option for what we need in this Villa "Team".

I'm not knocking Tammy, because he also would be a fantastic but much more expensive addition.

Interesting comparison, thanks. Only caveat would be that Tammy Abraham was 20/21 and Watkins was 23/24.

Does it mean Watkins can step up to the Prem? Probably, yes IMO. Most strikers with that kind of goal record in the Championship do turn out to be useful Prem players, especially if they're still young when they hit form in the Championship.

I'd say Watkins would be a 10-15 goal a season striker in the Premier League looking at how that Championship record normally converts (Mitrovic, Pukki, Chris Wood, Abraham, etc). Factor in his all-round game, his age being the right side of 25, and other attacking options in the squad, and it looks like a sensible buy if Brentford don't drive the price up too much.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Have we actually bid for him yet? Is there any evidence we’ve enquired about him yet?  Is there anything yet apart some rumours and assumptions?

Nothing other than the story from Percy who seems to be held in high regard on here. 

Edited by av1

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Nothing other than the story from Percy who seems to be held in high regard on here. 

Amazing how we’ve got to 29 pages based on a tweet from an average (better than many I agree) journalist then.  It’ll be interesting to see in hindsight if there is anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Amazing how we’ve got to 29 pages based on a tweet from an average (better than many I agree) journalist then.  It’ll be interesting to see in hindsight if there is anything.

We’v got 2 pages and counting on Benrahma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We've got 400 flipping pages in the Transfer thread and haven't signed anyone yet! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't see Watkins as a risky buy, when he's clearly an improvement on the goal shy strikers that we currently have.

Is he enough of an improvement though?

Let's pretend we only had Davis and Samatta as strikers and we were to buy Wesley (for the same fee we payed) as an improvement, which he would be. 

Would that be money well spent? 

This is where I think the concern is, and I would say it's justified 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Is he enough of an improvement though?

Let's pretend we only had Davis and Samatta as strikers and we were to buy Wesley (for the same fee we payed) as an improvement, which he would be. 

Would that be money well spent? 

This is where I think the concern is, and I would say it's justified 

Completely agree. 

If he’s brought in along with a top notch striker I think it’s great but just on his own I have concerns because it’s too much risk.  Not that Watkins is a risk but is he better than what we have or even much improvement on what we have, that’s the risk.

Wes is that player for us and we already have him.  He could be excellent next season but he may not.  We can’t have two with that level of risk and nothing else.

2 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Correct,with the right support Watkins will get plenty of goals in the PL 25 mill is good value.

Hey, I feel shit for you. I can’t imagine how you all feel after this season, coming so close. I hope you do it next season. 🤞

• Like 2

Â