Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 points I'd like to make.

1. Tammy Abraham's movement will mean he gets a lot of chances. His miss compilation video shows he has no right to get to some of those balls. He keeps getting to them that's why I believe he'd make us create more chances. If we signed Mbappe but he stood still we wouldn't create as much chances as if we'd have Abraham making those runs and movements. 

2.) Watkins. He seems to have pace and skill with intelligence so I think it's a good signing if we pull it off. I'd actually prefer him to BenRahma as I think Watkins will be more consistent and strong enough for the premier League. Good finisher too. Watkins will improve the competition for places and the level of our other forwards (including wingers).

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

1. Tammy Abraham's movement will mean he gets a lot of chances. His miss compilation video shows he has no right to get to some of those balls. He keeps getting to them that's why I believe he'd make us create more chances. If we signed Mbappe but he stood still we wouldn't create as much chances as if we'd have Abraham making those runs and movements. 

2.) Watkins. He seems to have pace and skill with intelligence so I think it's a good signing if we pull it off. I'd actually prefer him to BenRahma as I think Watkins will be more consistent and strong enough for the premier League. Good finisher too. Watkins will improve the competition for places and the level of our other forwards (including wingers).

Its something we have to be aware of moving forward.

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Ah yes Kylian Mbappe, well known for standing around lethargically waiting for the game to come to him 😂

• Haha 2

Just watched all his goals from last season. Hard to see him scoring any more than about 20% of those in the Premier League. The vast majority were free headers with no one within about 5-10 yards of him. 

I'm not saying he wouldn't be good for us or a success in the Premier League as I'm not familiar with his all round play. Goals alone in the Championship aren't as useful a metric as you'd imagine though on that evidence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not having a pop at the above 2 posts, they may be correct. But I have saw posters express the same view who have then suggested the boy from Celtic 😂

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not having a pop at the above 2 posts, they may be correct. But I have saw posters express the same view who have then suggested the boy from Celtic 😂

Hopefully our new Sports Director and Head of Recruitment will be heading up our existing technical analysis guys and be able to assess the likelihood or not of players making the step up. Whilst it’s always a risk when players change clubs, you’d like to think these guys will be able to reduce that risk on the whole. 

• Like 4

We are tremendously weak and slow in the attack. If this guy offers more than El Ghazi, which it sounds like he will, then he’ll be a useful addition. We need someone in the wide areas with pace and tenacity with an end product. Trezzy seems to try too hard, but has shown he can get into the right areas to pop up with goals. 

I’m a big advocate for healthy competition for places breeding better performances and bringing the best out of players. Watkins could help us with that in an area we’re crying out for. Hopefully we’ll bring in a few new faces to offset the pressure heaped on him, assuming we get this deal done. 

Edited by roonst83

23 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

We are tremendously weak and slow in the attack. If this guy offers more than El Ghazi, which it sounds like he will, then he’ll be a useful addition. We need someone in the wide areas with pace and tenacity with an end product. Trezzy seems to try too hard, but has shown he can get into the right areas to pop up with goals. 

I’m a big advocate for healthy competition for places breeding better performances and bringing the best out of players. Watkins could help us with that in an area we’re crying out for. Hopefully we’ll bring in a few new faces to offset the pressure heaped on him, assuming we get this deal done. 

I don't think Watkins would be coming in to play out wide. 

I'm sure he will have games there as we rotate and need cover but I think he is coming in as a striker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

Just watched all his goals from last season. Hard to see him scoring any more than about 20% of those in the Premier League. The vast majority were free headers with no one within about 5-10 yards of him. 

I'm not saying he wouldn't be good for us or a success in the Premier League as I'm not familiar with his all round play. Goals alone in the Championship aren't as useful a metric as you'd imagine though on that evidence. 

Guaranteed 2 goals against Chelsea so.

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

Yes I watched a bit of his video and the absence of defenders was very apparent. 

Question though, is this because championship defenders are rubbish or because of fantastic movement? 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes I watched a bit of his video and the absence of defenders was very apparent. 

Question though, is this because championship defenders are rubbish or because of fantastic movement? 

Is this because he finds the space? Look at the space Davis and Samatta had this season and wasted. It is there, it works if you are a finisher.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

I think you make an excellent observation.

3 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I wouldn't take the risk championship is different ball game that's my worry only Abraham is proven atleast in Premier League.

I just think we need to be very careful.....stats are a good tool, but there is nothing like watching the player, play.

I just hope we don't walk in in to "pigs in pokes" again.

I think Brentford have developed a talent for selling cheap buys in to expensive sales.....and it appeals mainly to data driven buyers.

We need to be careful.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think Watkins would be coming in to play out wide. 

I'm sure he will have games there as we rotate and need cover but I think he is coming in as a striker. 

Tbh I think the nice thing about watkins is he can play anywhere across the front 3, and probably would if we signed him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just hope we don't walk in in to "pigs in pokes" again.

I think Brentford have developed a talent for selling cheap buys in to expensive sales.....and it appeals mainly to data driven buyers.

We need to be careful.

I agree we need to he careful, we have been bitten by players that flatter to decieve more than most.

But also there are clearly players in the lower leagues who can step up to the prem.

We just have to hope we find those players now, and not the former.

• Like 1

Â