Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

But before this season he played on the wing. 

Do 16, 11, and 12 goals respectively in 3yrs on wing (prior to his 26 goals as a CF) suggest a good level of performance over a 4yr period? 

Depends what we intend to use him as I guess. 

15 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

This is an interesting  read. Apparently Watkions performances this season where better than Maupays the season before. https://www.statsperform.com/resource/certain-numbers-uncertain-times-brentford-have-results-to-match-their-process/

He were playing in a better team also. Have to take that into consideration

Edited by villalad21

If you look at his goals from all seasons he seems to be quite versatile in his finishing. Left foot, right foot. Attacking crosses, making runs on the far or near post. Goals from left right and center, inside and outside the box.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

He were playing in a better team also. Have to take that into consideration

In what way was the team better? Did brentford strengthen significantly before this season? 

7 minutes ago, Skruff said:

In what way was the team better? Did brentford strengthen significantly before this season? 

For a start they were a top 6 team this season.

Last season especially after the managers departure struggled to find a rhythm.

They were also defensively improved this season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

too right, i mean......look at his goals below, good head, sweet right foot, good left foot, a poacher, a terrier, movement, anticipation, agility, composure....

oh wait......thats not Watkins....

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

We're all aware that any player can look in a YouTube Highlightreel. I get the point, however I don't think they're comparable at all. 

Hogan shows two things, running down the channels against teams with a high defensive line or poaching in the box. 

Besides being clever, what's your view on the potential signing? 

21 minutes ago, Skruff said:

We're all aware that any player can look in a YouTube Highlightreel. I get the point, however I don't think they're comparable at all. 

Hogan shows two things, running down the channels against teams with a high defensive line or poaching in the box. 

honestly, i dont know much about Watkins beyond the odd highlight reel and the Brentford match highlights, as well as articles etc (like probably 90% of us), so in reality im not really in a position to say whether i think he's good enough or not.

However, my main concern is that we cannot allow ourselves to be in a relegation fight again, we need to improve and start moving up the table.

We need 3 or 4 positions improving critically, last season we bought a lot of development players, imo this window we need to purchase 3-4 high quality players to help us improve, and be willing to spend fairly big to ensure our continued improvement/development, this window imo is not for more development players that may or may not work out, the time for more development signings imo is when we have improved 3-4 first team positions drastically and at least stabalised as a mid table team.

On top of that, once we have stabalised as a good mid table team, we can then develop our players easier, as there isnt a develop or bust scenario where if they dont work the team is in trouble, a player generally develops better when they have better players around them and there isnt so much pressure on that if they dont succeed immediately it could mean relegation. (as a rule of thumb - obviously this isnt always the case)

Now, he might be the right purchase to really improve the team, if so thats great and i would be fine with that, but......if he doesnt improve the first 11, i dont think it would be a good purchase at this moment in time. (as i say - for me this window is about leaps in first 11 improvement, not development purchases)

The single most important thing is not being in a relegation scrap again this season, and we have at least 2 or 3 positions where we need to spend big and make leaps forward in positional quality, as well as making a statement of our intent to improve and be a big club again (in the current/future sense)

i will trust in the team if we sign him, as they obviously would think he's good enough, but.....if we are in a relegation fight again because we failed to kick on and drastically improve the 2-3 critical positions that we all know is required (certainly LW/RW/CM/ST), it would be a disaster imo.

if we did sighn him, would be interesting to see where he would play, as it seems he could play anywhere accross the front 3, could almost see him as an inside forward as well as a striker, will be interesting to see if we do sign him.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skruff said:

It's incredible how many times he was through 1 on 1 on goal. How often does that happen nowadays? At Villa especially. I can remember Kodjia doing it a couple of times around the time we were signing it but we played nothing like Brentford. Was such a silly signing. Basically saw he scored a lot of goals and went "yup, we need this guy" with no thought as to how we'd get him to replicate that.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The Brentford fans on here are definitely my favourite from any other club. Brentford are my second team now. Which is why I'll be sad to see Watkins leave us. 

Don’t worry, he’ll leave us to us. 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Depends what we intend to use him as I guess. 

In a 46 game Championship - we need to remember that. 

He looks great down the middle of the park. The other night, when other's heads dropped, he kept going. He looks an intelligent footballer but, all he has achieved is at lower level. We all know the Premier League is a different level altogether. 

• Like 1

Â