Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh, you definitely turn 25 after 24.  Maybe when someone asks you how old you are, your response is "I'm turning <x>" - as I said before, I might be old fashioned.  Ollie Watkins is 24.  I would describe him as being 24.

Your view on what a good season is may be interesting.  To quote the figures given by @villaglint (I can't be arsed checking them myself :D):

19/20 - 50 games - 26 goals, 3 assists - 47 games at CF
18/19 - 45 games - 12 goals, 9 assists - 21 games LW, 20 RW, 3 CF
17/18 - 48 games, 11 goals, 5 assists - 36 games LW, 5 CF. 6 RW
16/17 - League 2 - 52 games, 16 goals, 13 assists - 30 games CF, rest all over the place

To me, that's 4 good seasons in a row, showing improvement each time.  It's pretty much what you'd expect from a young player getting better at his trade.  he's basically been involved in a goal every 2 games for his last 2 seasons, and a goal every 3 games at worst, for 4 seasons in a row.  That's decent!

For comparison, Grealish's figures are:

19/20 (Prem) - 36 games - 8 goals, 6 assists
18/19 - 34 games - 6 goals, 7 assists
17/18 - 30 games - 3 goals, 6 assists
16/17 - 31 games - 5 goals, 2 assists

Similar sort of thing, to me.  Improving stats over time, as he gets better at what he's doing.  Really not very impressive figures when noted down like that - maybe you'd consider him a "no season wonder" ;) - but around 1 goal involvement every 3 games, 1 every 4 at worst.

I just don't see him as a one season wonder at all.  I'm amazed anyone looks at this at says "ah, he's only done it once".  Sure, the most recent season is the one that is most relevant to any upcoming transfer and would naturally inflate his fee - and it should do, he's had a fantastic season - but it really is just a story of progression, at least statistically.

Grealish is sh*t, sell him.

Edit: not sure i have the reputation to carry the sarcasm so I'll clarify,  joking aside, those stats and jonjon's commentary on his attitude have pretty much sold me on Watkins.  Hope it happens! (And we dont sell Grealish)

Edited by MrBlack

The point about his age is simply that he is now in the middle of his career and has not yet achieved a lot. You can no longer describe him as a ‘prospect’ in the same way you could with Abraham or someone of that age.

Hence the decision to make on him is whether this is as good as he’s going to get and whether that is going to be good enough for the Premier League. 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The point about his age is simply that he is now in the middle of his career and has not yet achieved a lot. You can no longer describe him as a ‘prospect’ in the same way you could with Abraham or someone of that age.

Hence the decision to make on him is whether this is as good as he’s going to get and whether that is going to be good enough for the Premier League. 

24 is not the middle age of a professional footballers' career ffs.

What is going on :D 

Edited by bobzy

42 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I watched Brentford on the TV a lot last season (every televised game I think). You only have to watch the work Watkins gets through in 90 minutes to realise what an asset he could be for Villa if we were to sign him. No one who works that hard will ever be "a one season wonder".

Happy Football GIF by MolaTV

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Ollie Watkins’ age is this year’s Tommy Elphick’s height. 

Can we even play someone who is turning 42 and a 3ft 4 defender in the same team if we have Januzaj on loan? 😐 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

24 is not the middle age of a professional footballers' career ffs.

What is going on :D 

Surely it’s something like 19-23 - young prospect, 24-28 - middle of the career, 29-32 - end of the career. 

Who knows how long a career is :D 

Zlatan is turning 39 in 2 months (just to be clear that means he is 38 now) and is still great while André Schürrle just retired at the age of 29.

And that's not even taking injuries into account.

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Sorry to be all stat pedant on you but this bit isn't true either. 

18/19 - 6th highest scorers - 11th place in league. 

17/18 - 9th highest scorers - 9th place in league. 

What about chance creation?

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

What about chance creation?

I absolutely love that we are getting stuck into Brentford’s chance creation in 2017/18 in a discussion about a player who may well not even be a target for us. What a wonderful sport football is 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh, you definitely turn 25 after 24.  Maybe when someone asks you how old you are, your response is "I'm turning <x>" - as I said before, I might be old fashioned.  Ollie Watkins is 24.  I would describe him as being 24.

Your view on what a good season is may be interesting.  To quote the figures given by @villaglint (I can't be arsed checking them myself :D):

19/20 - 50 games - 26 goals, 3 assists - 47 games at CF
18/19 - 45 games - 12 goals, 9 assists - 21 games LW, 20 RW, 3 CF
17/18 - 48 games, 11 goals, 5 assists - 36 games LW, 5 CF. 6 RW
16/17 - League 2 - 52 games, 16 goals, 13 assists - 30 games CF, rest all over the place

To me, that's 4 good seasons in a row, showing improvement each time.  It's pretty much what you'd expect from a young player getting better at his trade.  he's basically been involved in a goal every 2 games for his last 2 seasons, and a goal every 3 games at worst, for 4 seasons in a row.  That's decent!

For comparison, Grealish's figures are:

19/20 (Prem) - 36 games - 8 goals, 6 assists
18/19 - 34 games - 6 goals, 7 assists
17/18 - 30 games - 3 goals, 6 assists
16/17 - 31 games - 5 goals, 2 assists

Similar sort of thing, to me.  Improving stats over time, as he gets better at what he's doing.  Really not very impressive figures when noted down like that - maybe you'd consider him a "no season wonder" ;) - but around 1 goal involvement every 3 games, 1 every 4 at worst.

I just don't see him as a one season wonder at all.  I'm amazed anyone looks at this at says "ah, he's only done it once".  Sure, the most recent season is the one that is most relevant to any upcoming transfer and would naturally inflate his fee - and it should do, he's had a fantastic season - but it really is just a story of progression, at least statistically.

Good post. 

I have no problems with gradual progression as a championship player, but I think it's reasonable to expect average based performance through out several seasons, before spending £ 20 + million on him. Spending that amount of money on Watkins when he's only really shined one season is risky business. Benhrama arguably less so in that regards.

But I like Watkins and ultimately I just want Deano to get the players he wants. 

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I absolutely love that we are getting stuck into Brentford’s chance creation in 2017/18 in a discussion about a player who may well not even be a target for us. What a wonderful sport football is 

Well I'm more concerned about their chance creation in 19/20 actually. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Good post. 

I have no problems with gradual progression as a championship player, but I think it's reasonable to expect average based performance through out several seasons, before spending £ 20 + million on him. Spending that amount of money on Watkins when he's only really shined one season is risky business. Benhrama arguably less so in that regards.

But I like Watkins and ultimately I just want Deano to get the players he wants. 

But before this season he played on the wing. 

Do 16, 11, and 12 goals respectively in 3yrs on wing (prior to his 26 goals as a CF) suggest a good level of performance over a 4yr period? 

So he's performed better then Grealish  did while they were both playing in the championship(in terms of goals and assists) . Seems to have a great physiology and mentality. He's been improving year after year, and it's arguably 3-4 years until he's at his peak. 

There's no guarantee he'll make the step up. But I'd say yes please. 

• Like 2

Â