Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Playing in a different position.  He's a young player who is improving, which is backed up by the statistics.

One season wonder ffs.

Lets not pretend he's 19. He's not young anymore. He's in the midlife of his career. Turning 25. 

46 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Well I wouldn't be surprised. Watkins goalscoring this season gone has been exceptional, and he probably needed a season to master the position and build the confidence needed to play centre forward at premier league level to have a decent chance to succeed. Plus Deano doesn't make all the transfer decisions.

What I like is that it seems he has mastered all the positions across attacking positions. So will be able to fill in or rotate anywhere up there with ease.

The versatility is a huge bonus for me.

Can finish well with both feet as well.

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lets not pretend he's 19. He's not young anymore. He's in the midlife of his career. Turning 25. 

“Turning 25” :crylaugh: 

Jack Grealish is older than him and has been nominated for “Young Player Of The Season”. I think you might be out of touch. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

“Turning 25” :crylaugh: 

Jack Grealish is older than him and has been nominated for “Young Player Of The Season”. I think you might be out of touch. 

Tbf grealish was under 23 at the start of the season. 

Smith said on TV that Watkins could have made a move to Brentford the season before but decided to stay at Exeter to develop further.

He sounds like he has a great attitude and exactly the type of guy we could do with around the squad

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

In the championship, in one of the arguably most creative sides. 

Sorry to be all stat pedant on you but this bit isn't true either. 

18/19 - 6th highest scorers - 11th place in league. 

17/18 - 9th highest scorers - 9th place in league. 

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Are you saying he is not turning 25? 

I'd just say he's 24 - call me old fashioned 🤷‍♂️

Out of interest, would you say Jack Grealish is a one season wonder?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

Correct, Thomas Frank and our coaches worked very hard with him after Maupay left, as they saw the potential Watkins had to be a good striker and convinced and converted into that role, a role that he has got better with as the season progresses, as befitting of his his goal scoring record this season, I truly believe he will have no difficulty stepping up a level, after all your top scorer who played in the Championship last season has 10 goals to his credit, so if Watkins only scores 15 if he comes to you, that's a good result.

We will all be sorry to see Ollie go, as he inevitably will do, he has been a real credit to the club, Here is my honest appraisal  of him after watching him play home and away just short of 100 games, the the progression he has made since arriving from Exeter has been fantastic, his record speaks for itself, hardly missed a game, he is focused, a super fit athlete, is a lot stronger than he looks and very difficult to shake off the ball, has vision for a good pass, will run and run all day, a good turn of pace, good with both feet and a mean header as well, and above all knows where the back of the net is, and he's still willing to learn, had a few off days, but then don't all footballers, he's quietly spoken and keeps a fairly low key, I have met him a couple of times and he is such a nice person to talk to, with plenty of time to talk to young supporters as well, and he he is definitely no Bertie Big *ollocks.

I am not a betting man, but I will put money on him being a success in the Premiership whatever team he goes to, he has worked very hard at his ambition to play in the top flight, shame as it's looking like it won't be with us, but Hey Ho will will do our usual and find another gem and try again next season, whatever team he goes to will get a fantastic work horse, out of all the teams interested I hope Villa will get him. 

Just my opinion as a life long Bees supporter, Hope I haven't rambled on too long.

Impossible to do if it's mostly positive things! ;)

From everyone who has said anything about him (recently or past few years) the "decent lad" thing always seems to come out.  Certainly seems to have the right attitude so, wherever he ends up going, I hope he does well.

35 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Are you saying he is not turning 25? 

I don’t have a dog in this fight (haven’t seen enough of him) but he is “turning 25” in the same way as it’s “nearly 2021”.

We all have Christmas presents to buy before his birthday.

I watched Brentford on the TV a lot last season (every televised game I think). You only have to watch the work Watkins gets through in 90 minutes to realise what an asset he could be for Villa if we were to sign him. No one who works that hard will ever be "a one season wonder".

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Must be an English thing, cause in other countries you turn 25 after 24. 

No, but he's not being the player with one good season behind him in the championship. If he was I'd be vary about spending stupid money on him as well. 

I don't mind Watkins. I think he could work, and like I've said on here for a year now, I wish we had more English players in the first team. I think it's important. 

But the question here was whether he had one good season in the championship and it's obvious the £ 20 million + fee is based around his performance this season. Him scoring goals in the Sunderland league of football doesn't really come into it. 

Glint was the one that actually used the phrase "one season wonder". And I am just saying it's not unreasonable to this point to use that phrase, simply because the performance this season, that gave him the value talked about, only has been performed ONE SEASON.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Isn't he just turned 24 too?

Nope, I'm wrong. He's just plain old 24.

Edited by Mjvilla

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Must be an English thing, cause in other countries you turn 25 after 24. 

No, but he's not being the player with one good season behind him in the championship. If he was I'd be vary about spending stupid money on him as well. 

I don't mind Watkins. I think he could work, and like I've said on here for a year now, I wish we had more English players in the first team. I think it's important. 

But the question here was whether he had one good season in the championship and it's obvious the £ 20 million + fee is based around his performance this season. Him scoring goals in the Sunderland league of football doesn't really come into it. 

Glint was the one that actually used the phrase "one season wonder". And I am just saying it's not unreasonable to this point to use that phrase, simply because the performance this season, that gave him the value talked about, only has been performed ONE SEASON. 

Oh, you definitely turn 25 after 24.  Maybe when someone asks you how old you are, your response is "I'm turning <x>" - as I said before, I might be old fashioned.  Ollie Watkins is 24.  I would describe him as being 24.

Your view on what a good season is may be interesting.  To quote the figures given by @villaglint (I can't be arsed checking them myself :D):

19/20 - 50 games - 26 goals, 3 assists - 47 games at CF
18/19 - 45 games - 12 goals, 9 assists - 21 games LW, 20 RW, 3 CF
17/18 - 48 games, 11 goals, 5 assists - 36 games LW, 5 CF. 6 RW
16/17 - League 2 - 52 games, 16 goals, 13 assists - 30 games CF, rest all over the place

To me, that's 4 good seasons in a row, showing improvement each time.  It's pretty much what you'd expect from a young player getting better at his trade.  he's basically been involved in a goal every 2 games for his last 2 seasons, and a goal every 3 games at worst, for 4 seasons in a row.  That's decent!

For comparison, Grealish's figures are:

19/20 (Prem) - 36 games - 8 goals, 6 assists
18/19 - 34 games - 6 goals, 7 assists
17/18 - 30 games - 3 goals, 6 assists
16/17 - 31 games - 5 goals, 2 assists

Similar sort of thing, to me.  Improving stats over time, as he gets better at what he's doing.  Really not very impressive figures when noted down like that - maybe you'd consider him a "no season wonder" ;) - but around 1 goal involvement every 3 games, 1 every 4 at worst.

I just don't see him as a one season wonder at all.  I'm amazed anyone looks at this at says "ah, he's only done it once".  Sure, the most recent season is the one that is most relevant to any upcoming transfer and would naturally inflate his fee - and it should do, he's had a fantastic season - but it really is just a story of progression, at least statistically.

37 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Correct, Thomas Frank and our coaches worked very hard with him after Maupay left, as they saw the potential Watkins had to be a good striker and convinced and converted into that role, a role that he has got better with as the season progresses, as befitting of his his goal scoring record this season, I truly believe he will have no difficulty stepping up a level, after all your top scorer who played in the Championship last season has 10 goals to his credit, so if Watkins only scores 15 if he comes to you, that's a good result.

We will all be sorry to see Ollie go, as he inevitably will do, he has been a real credit to the club, Here is my honest appraisal  of him after watching him play home and away just short of 100 games, the the progression he has made since arriving from Exeter has been fantastic, his record speaks for itself, hardly missed a game, he is focused, a super fit athlete, is a lot stronger than he looks and very difficult to shake off the ball, has vision for a good pass, will run and run all day, a good turn of pace, good with both feet and a mean header as well, and above all knows where the back of the net is, and he's still willing to learn, had a few off days, but then don't all footballers, he's quietly spoken and keeps a fairly low key, I have met him a couple of times and he is such a nice person to talk to, with plenty of time to talk to young supporters as well, and he he is definitely no Bertie Big *ollocks.

I am not a betting man, but I will put money on him being a success in the Premiership whatever team he goes to, he has worked very hard at his ambition to play in the top flight, shame as it's looking like it won't be with us, but Hey Ho will will do our usual and find another gem and try again next season, whatever team he goes to will get a fantastic work horse, out of all the teams interested I hope Villa will get him. 

Just my opinion as a life long Bees supporter, Hope I haven't rambled on too long.

Is he better than maupay jon?

Â