Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Ollie is new to this league and that's what we all have to remember. It's not about what he does this season, it's about the experience he gains. He is as genuine as day and night. He will always give his all and with experience he will only get better and better. Imagine him 2 or 3 years from now? He will be lethal. 

• Like 1

Ollie is doing very well. We need to get away from the prolific goalscorer mindset. He brings so much more than that + he is scoring also. I remember early noughties when Vassell scored about 10 or 11, Angel had 15 or 16, Hendrie had a few as did others. I'm not comparing like for like, but we've goal threats in lots of areas now. We aren't heavily reliant on someone going out getting 20 goals ( i still don't think he'll be miles off that come the end of the season either )

Am I right in thinking he has only scored in 4 league games?

Needs to get more goals but I'm confident that will happen in time. Drifts out wide too much for me, a bit like Saunders used tk do IIRC.

Very happy he got his goal tonight and hope he can get a run going because we have some winnable games coming up and we need an in form striker to really take advantage.

I don't care if he doesn't score more honestly.

I think he will, but if he doesn't and keeps doing this we will carry on winning matches.

I can see a scenario unfolding where we keep trying other players who might be bigger goal threats but we look half the side anytime Ollie is on the pitch.

Genuinely exciting how much he'll improve under Smith, there's so much in his game he can work on.

8 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Needs to get more goals but I'm confident that will happen in time. Drifts out wide too much for me, a bit like Saunders used tk do IIRC.

Very happy he got his goal tonight and hope he can get a run going because we have some winnable games coming up and we need an in form striker to really take advantage.

I think his drifting out wide is a huge benefit to us as it means we aren't losing the ball in those areas. Barkley is now able to fill in for him in the centre forward position whilst he is out wide. He showed up on both the left and right hand side last night at points where the wingers couldn't get to the ball; his hold up play is then really good to bring the others into play.

You could see he was/is frustrated that the goals has not been coming so this was huge. He's still working as hard as ever to help the team thou so great attitude.

Noticed he went down rather easy in the box 2 or 3 times last night so I guess he was hoping to get another crack at a penalty.

12 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I think his drifting out wide is a huge benefit to us as it means we aren't losing the ball in those areas. Barkley is now able to fill in for him in the centre forward position whilst he is out wide. He showed up on both the left and right hand side last night at points where the wingers couldn't get to the ball; his hold up play is then really good to bring the others into play.

I get all that and agree with it. I mean he drifts too wide for a player hoping to score 20+ goals in the Prem. To do that, you need to be in the box a lot more, or have a 20/25 yarder in you, which Ollie doesn't seem to.

Edited by One For The Road

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Noticed he went down rather easy in the box 2 or 3 times last night so I guess he was hoping to get another crack at a penalty.

I was a bit embarrassed watching that tbh.

Â