Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, sne said:

Think the amount of defensive work and offensive running he does is part of why he might be a little less sharp in from of goal than he would have liked to be this season. A fox in the box type player who mainly focuses on scoring is bound to be fresher and sharper when he gets the goalscoring opportunities. But mainly I think atm it's a confidence issue, score 1 and it's likely to come more natural to him when he gets the next opportunity. That's my experience as an old attacker anyway.

100% this. 

since the West Ham game for me whenever he’s come close he’s had a look of ‘when will I catch a break’ in his body language (especially against palace when it came off the post)

expect a display of huge relief when he scores next.

• Like 3

The goals will come again when Barkley is back and Grealish is operating from the left. Barkley was almost playing alongside him at points, Grealish on the left will stop him drifting out so much as well and keep him central.

I think hes been asked to play an unselfish role during the injury spell.

• Like 4

On 06/01/2021 at 13:48, sne said:

Think the amount of defensive work and offensive running he does is part of why he might be a little less sharp in from of goal than he would have liked to be this season. A fox in the box type player who mainly focuses on scoring is bound to be fresher and sharper when he gets the goalscoring opportunities. But mainly I think atm it's a confidence issue, score 1 and it's likely to come more natural to him when he gets the next opportunity. That's my experience as an old attacker anyway.

I don't think you can glean more confidence than scoring a hatrick against the world champions, do you?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 14:48, sne said:

The parallels with Firmino are striking. He's struggling to score but he if you take him out of our team (even if there was a suitable replacement for Watkins) then we lose so much in terms of all round play, pressing etc. He sets the tone for our pressing in a way similar to Firmino does for Liverpool. During his sticky patch, Klopp never thought of dropping him (he rotated him a bit, but for the big games he always played) becasuse he is so vital to how they play. Watkins is the same for us. Firmino has hit a vein of goalscoring form recently so hopefully Watkins gets one and follows suit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TRO said:

who would you prefer Ollie or Tammy?

Both because I'm greedy. However they both have IMO different benefits and qualities which would compliment us very very well.

Watkins is the hard working create space for others but no shortage of skill ability and will get you 15 goals a season. 

Tammy is a workhorse too who gets lots of chances because he finds spaces in the box. He misses a few to score a few. Both have good pace ,though I believe Watkins is quicker and probably the better finisher. 

They're both 15 a season plus 5 assists strikers who will probably create (without directly assisting ) another 15/20 goals a season because they opened the game up by taking a defender away from the middle.

Very much reminds me of Dean Saunders. He scored his goals in clusters. He creates for his team mates. He works so hard for the team. Come the end of every season he will get a good amount of goals and assists but he will have spells without scoring. Even then he will continue to contribute to the team. 
His run of goals starts tonight. 4-1 to score first. Fabulous odds. I am having some of that.

• Like 1

Â