Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, poitier said:

Indeed, but that isn't always going to be possible. As a CF you are going to have to hold your own when the ball is played up, even if you don't win it don't make it easy.

Tonight was crying out for him to be pushed wider I thought. Obviously Davis hasn't scored a league goal in forever but he's o.k at winning and shielding the ball and thus Ollie could've exploited the space behind their FBs.

He's done alright for me so far. Caused Egan to get sent off in first game and I thought he worked hard and had some nice lay offs v Leicester. Fulham game was him snatching at chances and then they all went in v Liverpool incredibly.

Certainly got more confidence in him than Wes this time last year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Visiting Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah cos he's just scored a hat-trick v Liverpool who are a bit better than you.

There's a big gap between nothing to fear and a striker you would fear, Ollie fits in there nicely.

He didn't get the support, he was anonymous.

 I've seen a ton of him at Brentford the biggest part of his game is having runners around him. I'm assuming Barkleys no show was the main reason but the best part of his game is bringing others into it. With nobody to work off he really struggles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

He was anonymous.

So?

2 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I'm assuming Barkleys no show was the main reason but the best part of his game is bringing others into it. With nobody to work off he really struggles.

 

Barkley was shocking. Our worst player.

Watkins would have scored if Grealish had rolled it 5 yards to his right at 0-0. He should have scored at 0-3.

I don't understand what you want? That your view he was nothing "to fear" to be accepted? Because of one match? One in which Villa were terrible?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like a spoilt brat writing this we have 12 ponts in 5 games with him up top but gonna say it , he has scored in 1 game out of 5 

I'm sick of being a villa fan that says oh but he works hard .

It feels along time since the season angel scored all them goals ( I can't include Tammy in championship , no just no )

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

His pricetag comes with expectations, 3 in 5 is OK but scoring in 1 out of 5 while playing 90 minutes in each game is not really enough.

Early days yet and he's still getting used to the standard of the league but hopefully he'll start scoring on a more regular basis as we'll need him to. Comparisons to Kane or whatever is just ludicrous and unfair to the guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In an ideal World he’s the kind of player we’d bring in alongside a proven premier league striker. It would take the pressure off him and give him someone to learn from.

We’ve repeated what we did last year with Wesley.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, sne said:

His pricetag comes with expectations, 3 in 5 is OK but scoring in 1 out of 5 while playing 90 minutes in each game is not really enough.

Early days yet and he's still getting used to the standard of the league but hopefully he'll start scoring on a more regular basis as we'll need him to. Comparisons to Kane or whatever is just ludicrous and unfair to the guy.

Let's cut him a little slack and look at it objectively.

Premier League debut against a well-drilled Sheffield United side who put 9 behind the ball after the sending off.

We scored 3 against Fulham, so no qualms he didn't get one there.

Hat-trick vs Liverpool.

No disgrace in not scoring in tight match vs Leicester.

Isolated and on his own for much of the match against Leeds when our entire team was off.

 

I'm reserving my judgement on him for the run of games after the next international break. If he doesn't grab at least a few in those matches then there is cause for concern.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d give him a 6 so far this season. He’s good. He’s our best striker. He just needs to score more! 

Im confident it will come but one thing I will say is that even when he isn’t scoring, he offers a lot more to us than Wesley or Samatta. He works hard, he’s fast and he’s strong. Most importantly, he’s mobile. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the overreactions commence. If you couldn't see he had a fair few nices touches last night in an abysmal team performance then there's no hope for you.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Let the overreactions commence. If you couldn't see he had a fair few nices touches last night in an abysmal team performance then there's no hope for you.

I don’t see any over reactions? Just reactions.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was better than what people give him credit for last night ran at players in the first half, pressured Ayling for his mistake which nearly resulted in Jack scoring, their defenders where nervy in possession in the first half and he was constantly getting a foot in, unfortunately we let them grow into the game and they cut out the loose passes 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he’s been ok. He’s still new to the PL and to the club, and needs time to adjust and settle (but of course time is not something Villa fans are capable of giving new signings). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I think he’s been ok. He’s still new to the PL and to the club, and needs time to adjust and settle (but of course time is not something Villa fans are capable of giving new signings). 

Think he's been OK too. The issue is more that after the Plop game he was instantly compared to Kane and there was calls for him to be in the England squad. That's not fair to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you swapped the 2 strikers the score may have been the same.....Bamford would not have scored if he was playing for us Last night....at least he had support from a winger on fire and Rodrigo

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d give him a 6 so far this season. He’s good. He’s our best striker. He just needs to score more! 

Im confident it will come but one thing I will say is that even when he isn’t scoring, he offers a lot more to us than Wesley or Samatta. He works hard, he’s fast and he’s strong. Most importantly, he’s mobile. 

You could write this about davis also

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the stats he has missed 4 big chances this season and obviously he has already scored 3 and got an assist.

I would be more worried if he wasn't getting in positions to score.

OK - the last 2 games he probably hasn't been at his best but take the last game for example if Grealish passes after thar great run he went on then he could have scored. Also he went very close at the end there and on another day that goes in.

IMO he'll get better for us too as he works more with the players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watkins does generally work hard but I thought he didn't work as hard as he could have, or we needed him to, against Leeds. He needed to make sure that Ayling stopped getting so much time to lift his head and pinging long-range passed through our midfield. He should have blocked him off but didn't. That's something he needs to learn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â