Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

24 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

For all the grief we gave our wingers last year sometimes you just need the tools to work with, Watkins is the missing piece of the puzzle hopefully 

Think this is true. So many times last season they must have been wide and thought wherever I put this no-one is on the end of it.

Also good reassurance for all those concerned Watkins wouldn’t still find space in the box at a higher level.

49 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Just watching it again,  Watkins starts running and finds a gap the second trez gets the ball.  Awesome centre forward play. Excited is an understatement.  

Also a beautiful mix of standing still, drifting, switching between centre backs, using McGinn’s run... the kid can find space for sure. That’s something all the greats have. Doesn’t mean he will be great, but it’s a useful start.

• Like 2

Excellent goal today made by the cross and his constant movement. 

Watch his run when Grealish has the ball. He ghosts into a goal scoring position when Jack plays the crossfield ball. When he realises it's going to Trez, Watkins gets back inside and then just leaves his marker for dead and scores after excellent work by Trez.

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Absolutely this!  People deriding tap ins early in this thread was really doing me in.  When a football match starts there are 11 opponents defending the goal.  To achieve an open net "tap in" a team has to evade, deceive or out right bully their way through all 11.  As a defender myself in my younger  football days conceding a tap in by an unmarked striker was the easiest way to demoralize our entire team.  The defensive line is having a mini inquisition trying to figure out how 3 guys failed to mark 1 dude.  The midfielders are all acting sheepish because they let the goal scorer ghost in without a word of warning and the striker is at the halfway line feeling completely helpless watching the whole thing go down.  

We  have the leagues second best chance creator.  A tap in merchant is the exact piece he is missing.  In the end they all count the same.  

Excellent point, well made.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We use to think samatta was good with his head . Watkins goal shows a player thats good with his head!

You have to say when Watkins scores with his head he doesnt half make his body shape into a missile and put everything he can into the direction be wants it to go.

I only see one Nickname sticking for Watkins if he starts scoring alot of headers and that is (Rocket-Man)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He is exactly what we need. This is the Scott Hogan world class movement myth, this guy will make our whole attack better  

We just never gave Hogan the service. Those clever runs he used to make in behind just never got noticed. Shame. 

• Haha 1

Â