Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

His YouTube videos make him look a bit of a goal hanger, 6 yard box tap in merchant. 

But I trust Smith, so must be a lot more to his game.

Gotta be honest, not really feeling the excitement here..

Have a look at the video I found and posted earlier in the thread.

I noted that all the other videos I say made me fear that is all he was as well, as you.

However, he actually has a wide variety of goals in the video I found.

Right foot, left foot, headers, medium and long range shots.

EDIT: Seems @Dave-R reposted on the page before this,

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

My concern is that in the videos Watkins has got loads of space,something that will not be afforded to him in the premier one bit. I have a feeling that if he does start to become dangerous is that teams will start shutting him down like they do to Grealish and do not afford him the time to play to his abilities.

The way Brentford service Watkins was to send crosses in or give him the space he needs, I do not trust Ghazi or Trez to service Watkins in the slightest, they are absolutely horrific at servicing a lone striker. We so need to go bring in a RW asap, one that will draw players like Grealish does because that  is what we will need to do in order to give Watkins more space.

If all we got was one more player and that it was to be a RW I'd be happy or we will be restricted to working the left all season again, making us predictable and easy to shut down.

Watkins himself may even have to do some level of evolving because theres a big difference between the Championship and Premier defenders, they just will not let him score like he did in the championship. If Ollie can adapt to the extra difficulty then it will certainly see us with a fantastic goal hunter and the money we spent on him will certainly show the signing of Ollie to be a super buy indeed.

Possibly, but in doing that he will create more space for Grealish.

Its all gravy.

Seems to have decent ability to receive the ball well enough in a number of situations and a good sense of when to shield the ball, when to play it into space, and when to have a shot. Some of his finishing is good in terms of technique but more so in the awareness of the angles and decision whether to place his shot or whether to put his laces through it and rifle one at goal. I like that he scores a number of headed goals, because it shows he's able to read and anticipate the delivery from his teammates well enough to be in the right place at the right time. @KentVillan I think made mention of his runs and positioning and I agree I think he can anticipate play well and get himself into situations where he can be a proper threat.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have a look at the video I found and posted earlier in the thread.

I noted that all the other videos I say made me fear that is all he was as well, as you.

However, he actually has a wide variety of goals in the video I found.

Right foot, left foot, headers, medium and long range shots.

EDIT: Seems @Dave-R reposted on the page before this,

Yeah just watched, actually he looks pretty decent there..

Whoever shared the first few videos needs to have a word with the mirror 😂 it's almost like someone purposely made those other videos to scare off suitors 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

My concern is that in the videos Watkins has got loads of space,something that will not be afforded to him in the premier one bit. I have a feeling that if he does start to become dangerous is that teams will start shutting him down like they do to Grealish and do not afford him the time to play to his abilities.

The way Brentford service Watkins was to send crosses in or give him the space he needs, I do not trust Ghazi or Trez to service Watkins in the slightest, they are absolutely horrific at servicing a lone striker. We so need to go bring in a RW asap, one that will draw players like Grealish does because that  is what we will need to do in order to give Watkins more space.

If all we got was one more player and that it was to be a RW I'd be happy or we will be restricted to working the left all season again, making us predictable and easy to shut down.

Watkins himself may even have to do some level of evolving because theres a big difference between the Championship and Premier defenders, they just will not let him score like he did in the championship. If Ollie can adapt to the extra difficulty then it will certainly see us with a fantastic goal hunter and the money we spent on him will certainly show the signing of Ollie to be a super buy indeed.

I get that concern too, but then I wonder if we'd had someone that clinical up front at the start of last year when we created plenty of chances... things could have been very different.

I would love better than trez and AEG, and hope we get at least one, but I do think it's not a complete disaster if we don't. probably  being too optimistic to be fair though. 

15 hours ago, Junxs said:

His YouTube videos make him look a bit of a goal hanger, 6 yard box tap in merchant. 

But I trust Smith, so must be a lot more to his game.

Gotta be honest, not really feeling the excitement here..

this also showcases some stuff other than tap ins (mostly), he actually looks fairly mobile, skilful, agile etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For everybody worried that he doesn't score worldies from outside the box, he hasn't needed to. We've seen from his days playing out wide that he can definitely whack em in, but since playing as a CF, all he's had to rely on was his great movement to score goals, and he scored 26 of em! I'd rather have a player intelligent enough to know what skills he excels at than one who tries to do too much, but rest assured there's a lot more to Ollie's game than just tap-ins.

• Like 1

Â