Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

When Dean was manager of Brentford he was asked for one player that he wanted to keep no matter the offer from another team, Watkins was the guy. Looks like money eventually talks and he got his guy back.

Good luck Ollie, every Villa fan is wishing you the best and hope you do well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Must say I'm surprised we paid that much money for him. What was the previous record for a Championship player, was it Bowen for £18-20M? Now we have gazumped that with over 50%! That really is a lot of money for a Championship player.

We would have wanted this much for Grealish, who I don’t believe (might be wrong) ever won Championship POTY... 

7 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Must say I'm surprised we paid that much money for him. What was the previous record for a Championship player, was it Bowen for £18-20M? Now we have gazumped that with over 50%! That really is a lot of money for a Championship player. In today's corona market, I never thought that would happen. I thought prices would go down.

Webster a CB who we were supposed to be interested in was bought by Brighton for £22 million last season and Maddison was supposed to be similar figure to Leicester 2 seasons ago and is valued more than double that now. Neither prolific scoring strikers. 

Scarcity with teams looking at domestic market because Covid means prices for homegrown goes up not down. 

I really think getting relegated has lot of Villa fans confused about how much the PL TV money increase after we went down affected the market. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Webster a CB who we were supposed to be interested in was bought by Brighton for £22 million last season and Maddison was supposed to be similar figure to Leicester 2 seasons ago and is valued more than double that now. Neither prolific scoring strikers. 

Scarcity with teams looking at domestic market because Covid means prices for homegrown goes up not down. 

I really think getting relegated has lot of Villa fans confused about how much the PL TV money increase after we went down affected the market. 

We were a Championship team, spending 12-13m on Hogan, Kodjia and McCormack. If we were going for Mitrovic many would've said they'd spend 30m+ to get him. They both scored same amount, Watkins without penalties.

His YouTube videos make him look a bit of a goal hanger, 6 yard box tap in merchant. 

But I trust Smith, so must be a lot more to his game.

Gotta be honest, not really feeling the excitement here..

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Junxs said:

His YouTube videos make him look a bit of a goal hanger, 6 yard box tap in merchant. 

But I trust Smith, so must be a lot more to his game.

Gotta be honest, not really feeling the excitement here..

Watch the vid about 10 pages or so back showing all his 58 ish goals and assists.

He is definitely not just a goal hangar.

I thought similar to you in terms of most of his recent goals look very tap in and some of the vids don't do him justice, but the vid of all his goals shows his overall play better.

His movement for a lot of the “tap ins” is class. You can see he’d be a nightmare to mark because he’s always looking for little pockets of space and trying to get out of the defender’s line of sight. He has the pace to do this right at the last second, which is why he scores so many free headers and six yard box tap ins. With good service he’ll be very dangerous indeed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

His movement for a lot of the “tap ins” is class. You can see he’d be a nightmare to mark because he’s always looking for little pockets of space and trying to get out of the defender’s line of sight. He has the pace to do this right at the last second, which is why he scores so many free headers and six yard box tap ins. With good service he’ll be very dangerous indeed.

That's the important part now. We can't spend this kind of money and not find some creative players to provide him with the service he needs. Trez and AEG aren't up to it as proved last season.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

That's the important part now. We can't spend this kind of money and not find some creative players to provide him with the service he needs. Trez and AEG aren't up to it as proved last season.

This is important, we need grealish on the left, a new winger/IF on the right, and a new MC to work with luiz/mcginn. (Targett and cash should be decent as progressive full backs also)

Its all well and good having a good striker, but if we don't create chances for that striker (or any player on the end of the chances) we may as well pack our bags.

• Like 1

My concern is that in the videos Watkins has got loads of space,something that will not be afforded to him in the premier one bit. I have a feeling that if he does start to become dangerous is that teams will start shutting him down like they do to Grealish and do not afford him the time to play to his abilities.

The way Brentford service Watkins was to send crosses in or give him the space he needs, I do not trust Ghazi or Trez to service Watkins in the slightest, they are absolutely horrific at servicing a lone striker. We so need to go bring in a RW asap, one that will draw players like Grealish does because that  is what we will need to do in order to give Watkins more space.

If all we got was one more player and that it was to be a RW I'd be happy or we will be restricted to working the left all season again, making us predictable and easy to shut down.

Watkins himself may even have to do some level of evolving because theres a big difference between the Championship and Premier defenders, they just will not let him score like he did in the championship. If Ollie can adapt to the extra difficulty then it will certainly see us with a fantastic goal hunter and the money we spent on him will certainly show the signing of Ollie to be a super buy indeed.

• Like 1

The worry I have is that he’s a young lad stepping up a division to a big club for big money and we absolutely need him to score goals. It’s a lot of pressure from the start.

If it doesn’t work out then it’s 2 strikers at a combined £50m outlay we’ve taken a chance on and will be paying wages for 4/5 years.

Fingers crossed he gets 2 or 3 goals in his first 4/5/6 games and lifts some of the pressure.

11 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

When Dean was manager of Brentford he was asked for one player that he wanted to keep no matter the offer from another team, Watkins was the guy. Looks like money eventually talks and he got his guy back.

Good luck Ollie, every Villa fan is wishing you the best and hope you do well.

Strange he didn't say Maupay

Â