Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Its the biggest payday exeter have ever had. They have sold players to top teams previously such as vinnicombe to rangers some 15 years plus ago for 250k or what ever it was, ampadu to Chelsea, but nothing quite like this.

It will keep exeter solvent for 2 years on its own. The training ground can be updated and improved upon bearing in mind the amount of use from all the junior exeter teams also use it and it can also get better security to stop the travellers from trying to invade it each year as they do to the pub car park over the road.

With no other funding as no crowds, sponsorship down to minimal and shirt/ club souvenir sales not huge, it keeps them healthy.

That's great to read,  and does give a good feeling about the fee. Thanks!

This will in turn also make Brentford a more appealing club to other teams lower down the leagues looking to make a profit on their hottest prospects, so Brentford have really made a killing with this sale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's an Arsenal fan. Said last year it was his dream move to play for them. Was never going to go to Spuds. 

Well hes said the reason why he snubbed spurs is because of the plan Smith laid out to him and basically it was Smith that was the decider. Smith gave him his first go as captain at Brentford before he left. There must be a fair big love fest between the two, a good bit of admiration and respect 😉

Smith will be able to play Watkins wide or middle.

I read the fee could rise to 33 million, that's a wow figure indeed for a championship player. Although we nearly commanded as much for that for Grealish when we were a championship team, you have to admire Brentford for sticking to there guns and milking the most they can for there stars. Someones has to make the championship fees rise higher for the sake of the clubs down below the premier league.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That's great to read,  and does give a good feeling about the fee. Thanks!

This will in turn also make Brentford a more appealing club to other teams lower down the leagues looking to make a profit on their hottest prospects, so Brentford have really made a killing with this sale. 

Yes agreed and good post.

4 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Its the biggest payday exeter have ever had. They have sold players to top teams previously such as vinnicombe to rangers some 15 years plus ago for 250k or what ever it was, ampadu to Chelsea, but nothing quite like this.

It will keep exeter solvent for 2 years on its own. The training ground can be updated and improved upon bearing in mind the amount of use from all the junior exeter teams also use it and it can also get better security to stop the travellers from trying to invade it each year as they do to the pub car park over the road.

With no other funding as no crowds, sponsorship down to minimal and shirt/ club souvenir sales not huge, it keeps them healthy.

Agreed and good post.

Wherever possible it should be a thing for the biggest clubs in football to help the clubs in the lower leagues where ever possible that do not see much currency. Any player who joins from the lower leagues who is to become a big star, clubs should be properly compensated for any talent that comes from those leagues who could end up making it big. Football as a whole that way where bigger more top earning clubs can share the burden by helping out the bottom.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Or we just act professionally and avoid doing dogdy deals! I very happy for Exeter to get their money.

I was dead against paying that kind of money to a club where the player has no premier experience. I'm ok about it because a club where Exeter are have been helped out by this and it's important that all partys and deals are paid properly. Have to remember that if Watkins makes it happen at Villa then his price shoots up god knows how much. Those clubs who trained Watkins and nurtured him just like other players who join these premier clubs, those lower league clubs never truly see the full money reward that should come there way.

Part of me has always thought that any uk club who had so much to do with the training and time put into a player who then makes it big time, who is sold for anything above 50 million, clubs should see a percentage of that sale if they do not belong in the premier. We all know how crazy it can be for clubs to make money in the lower leagues and especially in times like this when times are hard I'm surprised any clubs have not disappeared entirely, any help to lower league clubs from the real money makers in football would be awesome to be fair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Agreed and good post.

Wherever possible it should be a thing for the biggest clubs in football to help the clubs in the lower leagues where ever possible that do not see much currency. Any player who joins from the lower leagues who is to become a big star, clubs should be properly compensated for any talent that comes from those leagues who could end up making it big. Football as a whole that way where bigger more top earning clubs can share the burden by helping out the bottom.

Try telling a tightarse like Daniel Levy that...

Sees a club in financial turmoil and immediately starts pulling his pants down and taking the cap off the baby oil...

• Haha 2

Must say I'm surprised we paid that much money for him. What was the previous record for a Championship player, was it Bowen for £18-20M? Now we have gazumped that with over 50%! That really is a lot of money for a Championship player. In today's corona market, I never thought that would happen. I thought prices would go down.

With Ollie obviously leaving Brentford this window I thought we would let it go to the end of the window and then let them accept a fair bid for him. Perhaps there were other teams starting to circle around and we decided to pay extra just to be sure of getting him. If so very well and just in line with what I've advocated previously, that we pay a prime to get the specific player we most of all want.

I also think this is a statement from the club that we mean business. DS got his man, we payed what was needed and the owners backed him 👍👍👍

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Must say I'm surprised we paid that much money for him. What was the previous record for a Championship player, was it Bowen for £18-20M? Now we have gazumped that with over 50%! That really is a lot of money for a Championship player. In today's corona market, I never thought that would happen. I thought prices would go down.

With Ollie obviously leaving Brentford this window I thought we would let it go to the end of the window and then let them accept a fair bid for him. Perhaps there were other teams starting to circle around and we decided to pay extra just to be sure of getting him. If so very well and just in line with what I've advocated previously, that we pay a prime to get the specific player we most of all want.

I also think this is a statement from the club that we mean business. DS got his man, we payed what was needed and the owners backed him 👍👍👍

Goalscorers cost money.

Simple as that.

All we know is championship signing fees will never be the sane again after what weve done. Many Prem clubs calling Villa a bunch of rocket polishers behind our backs right now, even phoning one n other up to diss us. Would be hilarious if it was the case, clubs Owners giving one n other a ring and saying ( you see what them little Villan F***s have gone n done, they gone and paid 28 million or more for this little Yout who's never been in this big league, we can no longer get any bargain priced players for dirt cheap anymore from the league lower- F*** F*** F***) 

I'm pretty sure we could all come up with a comic zone on that, even get spitting image puppets in looking like each clubs Owners, and our Owners NSWE giving it the large one talking all Gangster at the rest of them.

28 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

To be fair, I think Brentford valued him at something like 22m but had to take the sell on fee to Exeter in account. In effect, we're paying 2 clubs for the privilege.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, I think Brentford valued him at something like 22m but had to take the sell on fee to Exeter in account. In effect, we're paying 2 clubs for the privilege.

Yep, I hope with how well we’ve compensated Brentford that we haven’t included a sell on fee for them.

45 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Letting it go to the end of the window would have cost us more than the extra 6m (or whatever it was beyond our valuation of him) given we'd have had no striker (edit: No effective striker) for the first few games of the season and had even less time for him to get up to speed and get settled. 

A bad start would undermine the good will from last season's last minute survival and cost a priceless amount. Not that this signing guarantees a good start,  but if we were planning to sign him anyway in the last week of the window.. just pay the extra now

Edited by MrBlack

Â