Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I’ve always thought his actual finishing is below average.

However, his energy and work rate are so important to the way we play.  It’s no coincidence we’ve gone from being dogshit against Watford and average against Brentford, to being the better team against Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd since he returned.

It was absolutely the right decision to leave him on and take Ings off because of his energy.

• Like 4

I'm no body language expert but I said in the match thread that after he missed from that gift from De Gea his face looked like a man who has just had a kid and barely slept.  The athletic side is still there but just mentally not quite 100%.  Could be complete bollocks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

I think he didn’t overly celebrate after the goal because he was worried he was offside - he looked over at the linesman. 

He was miles offside and didnt want to draw attention to himself. Smart play.

I thought he played well yesterday, I think maybe people focusing on the fact that he didn't score and the good chance that he missed, but overall it was a good performance, and no surprise that we've started playing better since he came back into the team.

• Like 1

Just feel that it’s first time in his Villa’s days can his main striker role is threatened after Ings arrived & he’s pressured to score to keep his place .. yesterday there’s chance to lay off a good pass to better place team mate , but he choose to shoot, to keep with Ings 2 goals.. 

57 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont think he and Ings play well together at all.I think both of them did better as a lone striker,for us anyway.

It’s interesting cause despite them not clicking we’ve played really well as a team using a formation that gets them both in the team. I think we’re at a stage where, even if Ings and Watkins aren’t clicking, they’re causing so many problems for opposition defences with their mere presence that it’s creating chances for the 4 players behind them (Targett, Cash, Ramsey, McGinn) all of whom have had much more attacking threat in the past few games. Very exciting to think how we might improve further when the Watkins/Ings combo starts to sync which it surely will in time and with Danks on board 

• Like 3

Â