Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Had an excellent game today, his hold up play was pretty good and took his one chance well. Looking good to hit 15 goals so can't complain at that at all and he should be on it already.

Just need a back up striker DS actually wants to put on every game.

• Like 3

Love it when Ollie scores. As someone said, he's living off scraps.  We almost never deliver good crosses or through balls.   He's expected to deal alone with a series of long punts upfield. 

But he's shown over and over you only need to give him a decent chance and he will bury it. 

Been so unlucky with hitting the post numerous times and had what, 3 awarded goals taken away by VAR stupid fine lines. 

He'll easily surpass 20 goals for the season if only we can create more for him. 

• Like 2

Higher ceiling than DCL imo - arguably already at his level.

His passing range on display today was Kane-esque - passing one area I was a bit sceptical of, but he has it in his locker.

I really think this guy will be a superstar. From the moment he ran the channels better than anyone I'd seen for years at Villa (at Fulham), I knew he was a gem. Fantastic player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ollie now has 14 goals in his debut season in all competitions. The last Villa forward to have as good a goal scoring debut season in the top flight was Christian Benteke in 2012/13 with 23 goals, but previous to him the next striker to score more than 14 in his debut season was Dean Saunders with 17 in 1992/93. Honourable mention to Savo who equalled 14 in 95/96. Kodjia (19) and Abraham (26)'s seasons were obviously not in the top flight. When Ollie beats Saunders' total of 17, the next one he's after is Simon Stainrod who scored 21 goals in all competitions in the 85/86 season although it must be said that Simon's total was embellished by 9 goals in the league cup, with 5 of them coming against Exeter City.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Ollie now has 14 goals in his debut season in all competitions. The last Villa forward to have as good a goal scoring debut season in the top flight was Christian Benteke in 2012/13 with 23 goals, but previous to him the next striker to score more than 14 in his debut season was Dean Saunders with 17 in 1992/93. Honourable mention to Savo who equalled 14 in 95/96. Kodjia (19) and Abraham (26)'s seasons were obviously not in the top flight. When Ollie beats Saunders' total of 17, the next one he's after is Simon Stainrod who scored 21 goals in all competitions in the 85/86 season although it must be said that Simon's total was embellished by 9 goals in the league cup, with 5 of them coming against Exeter City.

Simon Stainrod

I was there that night at St James’s Park and I’m sure he scored four, It was his debut if I recall 

Those were the days getting back from away trip at 4am and up for work at 7 

Edited by Follyfoot

19 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Simon Stainrod

I was there that night at St James’s Park and I’m sure he scored four, It was his debut if I recall 

Those were the days getting back from away trip at 4am and up for work at 7 

2 legs. He got 1 in the 2nd.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BOF said:

No recollection of the home leg 🤣 we won 8-1 apparently in front of an impressive 7600 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

Edited by Follyfoot

I say chaps, could we move the topic on from the painful memories of the two legged League Cup ties?

Meanwhile here is a video from early 2017 that (to me) is quite entertaining. Ollie and best friend (since age 11) Matt Jay talk just as they were breaking into first team football (now Exeter's top scorer this season)Those who saw the video of Ollie's mother Ruby Washington may recall that it was MJ's dad who often did the ferrying around. Anyway see who's best at 5 a side, who understands what 'best at training' means and who was the top scorer in Ollie 's school football team....

• Like 1

On 12/04/2021 at 18:52, BOF said:

Speaking of legs, one of my few Simon Stainrod memories was that i read somewhere that one of his legs is shorter than the other.

One for the boring thread i s'pose...

Just now, BOF said:

Which is the complete opposite to Wesley who has one leg longer than the other. 

My middle leg is a bit shorter than the other two as well 😂

I was just going to post the same as you...

But it is 3cm shorter.....sorry longer 🤪

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/21/wesley-moraes-aston-villa-striker

On 10/04/2021 at 23:52, gilbertoAVFC said:

Higher ceiling than DCL imo - arguably already at his level.

His passing range on display today was Kane-esque - passing one area I was a bit sceptical of, but he has it in his locker.

I really think this guy will be a superstar. From the moment he ran the channels better than anyone I'd seen for years at Villa (at Fulham), I knew he was a gem. Fantastic player.

Not sure about this.  I have been massively impressed with DCL this season having pretty much thought he was a liability up until this season (could say similar about Bamford so I might not be the best judge of no. "9" prospects!!).  I think they are different types - DCL is a strong "9" that attacks the ball, will compete physically with the CB's and finishes well playing inside the lines of the box whereas Ollie is much more mobile/a real winning runner who will drag his CB all over the place (but can also mix it) creating space for him and others.

I think they are both potentially very good and it depends how you want to play as to who is the better.  I think Ollie is a bit more different than Kane - stretching teams more - and might be a better option on the bench for England if you want to change a game/style of play.

I am very glad we have him and can't wait to see what he can do with better creativity/attacking options around him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Felt sorry for him tonight, thankless task vs that defence and especially that ref, can't remember ever seeing so much pushing and pulling hit away with and more than that so many sly late off the ball treading on toes and trying to rake his achilles, they battered him with no protection 

Should have done better with his big chance, wildly smashed at it looked very low on confidence, great header to set up the equaliser 

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Ran into the ground of late. Maybe a support role would be a good respite for him.

I'm not for resting him mind.

I’d certainly look to play him out wide instead of Traore, then bring Wesley or Davis in to the team. He drifts out wide at times anyway and I’m sure he’d enjoy having support up front as well.

Â