Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

Was offside in the build up. McGinn played the ball way too early to Watkins who was offside instead of running with it.

I don't remember it being given as offside. 

Regardless, we created the chance and he missed it. 

20 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Was offside in the build up. McGinn played the ball way too early to Watkins, who was offside, instead of running with it.

We’re blaming McGinn for Ollie being offside?

It’s Ollie’s job to make sure he’s always inside, not McGinns to be a linesman.  There was about a yard in it, impossible fir McGinn to tell from where he was

edit: I’ve watched the replay, and @AndyM3000is right.

Edited by Thug

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't remember it being given as offside. 

Regardless, we created the chance and he missed it. 

Keeper tipped it over the bar and they took a freekick about 40 yards further up the pitch. 

That doesn't class as a chance created. Without Grealish, Watkins hasn't had a single big chance put on for him. 

I have no issue with Watkins even though he's not been great recently, need better around him. El Ghazi, Trez and Elmo as a 3/4ths of a wide supply line just don't cut it, we have nothing through the middle either.

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Both at fault but we had a 4 on 1. Barkley and El Ghazi to his left with all the time in the world as well.

I’m sorry, I just can’t agree with that.

in no way, shape or form is that McGinns fault for playing a good ball through and setting out striker off on goal.  That is 100% the strikers responsibility to ensure he is on-side ready for a ball like that.

edit: just watched the replay, and you’re right!

I just didn’t remember it like that 

Edited by Thug

Last night was his worst game for Villa, he has enough credit in the bank and still had a part in our goal

He struggles vs deeper tight teams more so without Jack and something we need to look at. Sheffield United, Newcastle and West Ham recently

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Last night was his worst game for Villa, he has enough credit in the bank and still had a part in our goal

He struggles vs deeper tight teams more so without Jack and something we need to look at. Sheffield United, Newcastle and West Ham recently

This sums it up for me. Bad day at the races, and the first time this season I think he has to take some of the blame for us looking totally toothless. His first touch was off, his hold up play was bordering on non existent, and he didn't create anything from the few times he did control the ball, usually because he was offside. His diving header for the own goal is the only time he did something that led to something happening, and admittedly resulted in a goal, but he is a big part of the reason we didn't score more last night.

All that said, he's been exceptional all season, he has done the exact opposite of the bad things I've described above all season, and I can hardly blame him for having an off day when the last few games he's had no supply and is probably starting to feel the strain of a season playing lone striker and never having been subbed(?).

He's way better than last night.  Hopefully he can put it behind him. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I don't think McGinn delayed the pass to Watkins too much but whether it was the right one to pick I'm not sure.

Anyway, how we didn't score from this situation is quite embarrassing.

Screenshot_20210313-143852_YouTube.jpg

We should have scored. But VAR would have disallowed it anyway. It was poor movement from Ollie being offside in that situation and unlike him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s been great for us this season but that was a shocker. Yes his header led to the goal but that aside he was probably one of the worst players on the pitch for us. Hope it’s not fatigue. We haven’t really got any alternatives. 

Mental fatigue perhaps. Just needs to take a step back and take stock. Watch the game from the sidelines regain some impetus. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, birdman said:

Mental fatigue perhaps. Just needs to take a step back and take stock. Watch the game from the sidelines regain some impetus. 

I think so. There's a lot of pressure on him as our only decent striking option (until Wesley is back) and that pressure takes a toll.

• Like 1

Â