Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Played well again last night.  So pleased he got his goal.   The disallowed one was a good finish too.  Commentary team complimented his work rate numerous times.  We've got a gem here lads. 

• Like 1

What people seem to forget is Ollie has played 17 premier league games. 17, that's all. 

He is still learning and adapting to this league. Yes, we paid a lot for him, but we have to accept he is not yet an established premier league player, he has however been excellent and has bought much more than just goals to the team.

Even so he has still scored 7 and assisted 2 in the league, with 3 more goals unquestionably ruled out.

I think that after he gets a season under his belt at this level he will be unstoppable and confidently predict 20 goals next season (and probably 15 this season)

• Like 1

I think he’s great. A reassuring presence up the top of the pitch - not just for goals but for the way he links up play as well. The 7 goals this season should easily be 9 or 10 if it wasn’t for some poor officiating. He’s going to learn so much this season as well, which will put him in an excellent place for the seasons ahead. 
One thing I would like to see more of is him taking a touch or two, and riffling shots into the net. Some of his shooting at the moment is very much hit it first time. 

First season in the Prem in a completely new team but you can clearly see his ability. The way he holds up the ball is probably only second to Keinan Davis and it is a key component to how we play, he is almost a false 9. Great to hear him after the match also, saying he felt the whole team was sloppy in the second half -- even after winning, he wants to get better.

53 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

On an average on course for a 15-16 goal season? The flak this guy gets. 

First season in the PL and he is only going to get better because even a blind man could see his work rate attitude and desire is brilliant.

That's without the 3 - 4 valid goals he's been robbed of.

What I love about Watkins is when Martinez or Ming's ping a ball out of defence, he usually gets on the end of it, holds up play and creates an attack through shee will and when he doesn't get the ball, he's such a nuisance that the defender ends up giving the ball back to us.

He's plays off the line of the defender which is why he gets a lot of marginal offsides. If Shearer or Owen played now, I bet a few of their goals would get chalked off.

4 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

What I love about Watkins is when Martinez or Ming's ping a ball out of defence, he usually gets on the end of it, holds up play and creates an attack through shee will and when he doesn't get the ball, he's such a nuisance that the defender ends up giving the ball back to us.

He's plays off the line of the defender which is why he gets a lot of marginal offsides. If Shearer or Owen played now, I bet a few of their goals would get chalked off.

Indeed, there was a great example of this against Newcastle around 55 minutes. Martinez received the ball and without hesitation kicked it sixty or seventy yards to Watkins who controlled the ball instantly out wide. It was great play from the two!

13 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Once he learns how to bend his runs and be a bit smarter with his positioning he'll be swimming in goals. He's prone to being in offside positions which is easily coached out of him.

Im sure the VAR lines will match them to declare him offside 😉

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Better than Tammy. Much better.

Hard to say. Ollie is in a team with a clear plan of how they want to play. Tammy has been in a team since he returned to Chelsea that has been told to figure it out for themselves while being given one piece of advice from his manager "Be more like Mason".

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Hard to say. Ollie is in a team with a clear plan of how they want to play. Tammy has been in a team since he returned to Chelsea that has been told to figure it out for themselves while being given one piece of advice from his manager "Be more like Mason".

Is that at club or international level?

Â