Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Yep....Everyone would've been happy on us splashing 30 -35m on Tammy blast year, and probably 40-50m now. I just think it's the going rate these days for a tier 2 A grader CF with his prime ahead of him. If he make the step up he'll be worth 60plus so I'm not alarmed to be honest. It also put's into perspective how much of a bargain Wes could turn out to be if he comes back stronger from his setback.

A few big IF's in that post.

£33m is about €10m less than Chelsea paid for Werner and almost €15m more than what Dortmund paid for Haaland in January. We could never get those players but on a striclty value for money view it shows what's out there when you are not forced to pay the Championship/PL premium.

It's a eye watering sum for any Championship player.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I know.

I have been playing football manager since before it was football manager. I was on the original LMA manager. When I wasnt playing that I was playing Alex Ferguson player manager on the PS1.

I know.

I know what it takes to get a deal over the line.

Are you coming out as satire after all this time? 🤯

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Watkins' stats suggest he is good enough to make the step up. Also don't forget we paid over £25m for Mings, a player who had barely kicked a ball in the PL. That was still a value buy as he is worth over 40m now. 

Yes this is true but again slightly different circumstances. Mings had played an absolutely crucial part in getting us promoted and Smith even admits he had to overpay reluctantly to get him. In hindsight it was money well spent of course, but Mings was still part of a backline that conceded 67 goals. 

As I say if Watkins gets the goals to improve us it's a decent signing, but undoubtedly a risk at that price. Let's see who else comes in.

Well it's not my money and if the scouting team think Watkins is the man then I'm on board. In terms of FFP it is the wages that are much more significant than the transfer fees, so as long as we are not smashing our wage structure to get him in (very unlikely for a championship player I'd say) then I see no issue with the outlay. Given that the £100m overall spend  has been bandied about in the press this summer, it shouldn't curtail our spending elsewhere hopefully.

• Like 1

Don't know why people keep quoting '£33m' it will only reach that amount if he hits certain targets and if he does then he will have been more than worth that amount. As it stands the fee is £28m, which is still a lot, but that's around what Leeds were asking for Phillips last year and what Brentford were asking for Benrahma, we didn't pay those prices but half way into the season a lot of people were wishing that we did.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sne said:

£33m is about €10m less than Chelsea paid for Werner and almost €15m more than what Dortmund paid for Haaland in January.

Absolutely, especially when you look at the Haaland and Werner fees.

Let's back the guy but not pretend we've not potentially overspent here. You have to hope the club knows what they're doing and are confident he can excel in the Prem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Well, last season I think a lot of us on here was disappointed that we missed out on Maupay as that was obviously Smith's choice of striker. I for one, am glad we're not going to be moaning about the same shit again this season with posts stating 'If only we didn't miss out on Watkins'. The fee is the fee and fair play to Brentford, all we can do is sign him and we're doing just that. I'd rather us pay a bit more now and get it over the line than trying to haggle a few million and risk losing out altogether. 

We cant keep gambling on signings by paying huge fees on untested player . Wes samatta nakamba trez  all inproven and struggled after doing well in the leagies we signed them from this watkins deal is a bigger risk.

Just now, sne said:

£33m is about €10m less than Chelsea paid for Werner and almost €15m more than what Dortmund paid for Haaland in January.

It is....Think about it though. As an example, Werner is an extra 10m and 100k extra in wages a week. Over a 4-5 years. Not as cheap either tbh. Its not really 10m more now but potentially 35m.  I'm not being precise but that's how you have to look at it. 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

£33m is about €10m less than Chelsea paid for Werner and almost €15m more than what Dortmund paid for Haaland in January. We could never get those players but on a striclty value for money view it shows what's out there when you are not forced to pay the Championship/PL premium.

Both had release clauses that were matched so their fees aren't at all relevant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

We cant keep gambling on signings by paying huge fees on untested player . Wes samatta nakamba trez  all inproven and struggled after doing well in the leagies we signed them from this watkins deal is a bigger risk.

So...

We need to spend big money on proven players is what you're saying I guess. Would like to know which proven players we could attract. 

31 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

Why not?  

Can it not be seen that we're now clearly investing in talent and building for the future no matter what cost?

Just in my opinion that we needed a couple of quality proven additions in particular positions this window in order not to have the same struggle as last season.

Striker was one of those positions, and I am not sure Watkins fits the bill. But we shall see, and if we do sign him, as looks likely, he will naturally have my wholehearted support.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Both had release clauses that were matched so their fees aren't at all relevant.

So we are not allowed to buy players with buy out clauses?

Every transfer is subject to circumstances. Contract lenght, clauses and so on. Again these 2 were not mentioned as players we could have gotten but as examples that there are deal out there to be made.

Just now, PieFacE said:

So...

We need to spend big money on proven players is what you're saying I guess. Would like to know which proven players we could attract. 

So Piatek now hertha isnt worth trying would be alot less than 33mil thats for sure top league experience aswell. Thauvin linked said he want to stay. Test the water pit a bid get to comtract stage and sell the god dam club. Villa communicate poorly i bet they are like.rabbit in headlights. Fraser on a freebie also.

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It is....Think about it though. As an example, Werner is an extra 10m and 100k extra in wages a week. Over a 4-5 years. Not as cheap either tbh. Its not really 10m more now but potentially 35m.  I'm not being precise but that's how you have to look at it. 

Also with Haaland, it was a release clause, there was said to be 25M in agent fees also. I think Werner was release clause too. I have little doubt that those deals will blow the Ollie Watkins out of the water with agent fees, signing on fees and wages. Everyone pays.

Â