Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Seems to be a pattern forming.

I wonder how many of our other targets are under the same umbrella!

Yeah - if Purslow caves and just pays whatever Brentford want just to get him in the door, we're going to get screwed by every other club we try and do business with this window. Tricky situation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Yeah - if Purslow caves and just pays whatever Brentford want just to get him in the door, we're going to get screwed by every other club we try and do business with this window. Tricky situation.

Brentford will be one of many playing the same game and you can also understand why they are doing it.

• Like 1

You've got to wonder what Watkins is thinking about the entire situation. A club reported all window as being interested, with a manager known to him who praised him to the max at the play off final but yet doesn't seem to think he's worth the valuation his current club are demanding.

Unless the money demanded is obscene, in which case you'd expect him to have shown some displeasure with Brentford, then he's surely questioning how seriously Villa actually want him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Seems to be a pattern forming.

I wonder how many of our other targets are under the same umbrella!

I'd suggest it's a high percentage under this umbrella and is exactly why we haven't bought in as many players as we'd have liked yet. All completely guesswork of course, but the very quick and multiple leaks of links to other strikers is, to me, an attempt to hurry along our main targets. We shall see. Good things come to those who wait.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'd suggest it's a high percentage under this umbrella and is exactly why we haven't bought in as many players as we'd have liked yet. All completely guesswork of course, but the very quick and multiple leaks of links to other strikers is, to me, an attempt to hurry along our main targets.

Quite possibly.

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I would take what Banana has posted as where we are at the moment and that is nobody wants to pay what we are asking.Thats whether they are a big or small club (whatever that has to do with it).We are known for being very straightforward when dealing with transfers as you have experienced with Hogan Konsa and even Dean Smith.Obviously we are in difficult times financially and I expect we will have to drop our valuation.The fact that Benrahma and Watkins who were stand out players last season remain unsold tells its own story.Would love them both to stay as we don’t have to sell but what would be the point in keeping 2 unhappy players at the height of their value. 

Plus the fact that you have Toney now as well. Great to have both Watkins and Toney in the squad as options, but I doubt either would want to spend much time on the bench. Unless you are going to start playing 2 up front, which I didn't think you did last season much if ever.

The thing is this is what Brentford do, its their model, they are currently a selling club: scout, put in the shop window, sell on those who perform and have inflated values, repeat. They are pretty mercenary about it and dont hide it, it has worked really well and their increasing wealth and ability is demonstrated by their progress. They have nothing to lose.

I am sure Watkins and Benrahma's salary is very comfortable for them and if they remain then as long as they perform they will have another crack at promotion next year.

We won't fish in these waters for long thankfully, but I do think we just need to bite the bullet on this one, as was proved with Mings: for a properly considered player, paying seemingly over the odds can work out in a relatively short period of time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The thing is this is what Brentford do, its their model, they are currently a selling club: scout, put in the shop window, sell on those who perform and have inflated values, repeat. They are pretty mercenary about it and dont hide it, it has worked really well and their increasing wealth and ability is demonstrated by their progress. They have nothing to lose.

I am sure Watkins and Benrahma's salary is very comfortable for them and if they remain then as long as they perform they will have another crack at promotion next year.

We won't fish in these waters for long thankfully, but I do think we just need to bite the bullet on this one, as was proved with Mings: for a properly considered player, paying seemingly over the odds can work out in a relatively short period of time. 

I did think Brentford's model relies on them releasing players when they can make the step up for a reasonable fee. If they keep hold of Watkins and Benhrama when there has been Premier League interest, other players might in the future be more reluctant to use Brentford as their stepping stone, in case they get trapped there.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

You've got to wonder what Watkins is thinking about the entire situation. A club reported all window as being interested, with a manager known to him who praised him to the max at the play off final but yet doesn't seem to think he's worth the valuation his current club are demanding.

Unless the money demanded is obscene, in which case you'd expect him to have shown some displeasure with Brentford, then he's surely questioning how seriously Villa actually want him.

It's a trend on here to interpret things as and make them seem as bad as possible. 

• Like 1

Watkins can be sitting there thinking "why aren't they paying what Brentford are asking for me", sure.  But ultimately, at £28m or whatever, that would be the highest price EVER PAID for a Championship player from a non-relegated club.  I like Watkins a lot, but in the history of the Championship - is that really a record worth bestowing on him at this stage?  I don't think anybody knows if we're willing to pay £22m, £24m...

I understand the frustration from fellow Villa fans, but I'm trying to remain confident in the flow of all this because ultimately as with any negotiation, both sides have to move at some point when the commodity needs to move.  A couple of forward players is really all we need and I'm sure we will buckle at some point - this extended window is doing us no favours here and putting the ball more in Brentford's court. 

• Like 1

Just now, desensitized43 said:

How would you interpret our business and how we've gone about things so far?

I mean I'd do a few things. I'd think how every window it's very difficult to sign players. I'd see how 95% of the obvious transfers in the Championship are still at their clubs despite guaranteed Premier League interest. I'd think about how little we actually know goes on and how we truly, really know effectively nothing about the day to day actions of the club and the plans for the club in the transfer window. I'd think a little about how easy it would be for a selling club to stick to their price. I'd think about how footballers have agents telling them this or that club are interested, and how some players might wait for bigger moves to come off. I'd have to also appreciate that we're not going to be everyone's first choice considering how close we were to relegation—but I'd still hope that given patience we'll be able to manage some signings that will improve us, but that it's best not to get hysterical about things happening slowly because, again, that's the way it always/mostly happens.

I'd also stop myself making massive leaps of logic based on pretty much no evidence.

I didn't even mention the pandemic!

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

How would you interpret our business and how we've gone about things so far?

I’m not Rolta but.....as I see it it’s a 50% success rate.

We bid for Matty Cash and it was successful 

We bid for Wilson and it failed.

I have no idea how we’ve gone about it though.Maybe Dean Smith is sitting in a room picking names out of a hat....?

Or maybe there’s a list...he said he had discussed a list with someone didn’t he?

Â