Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12057827/ollie-watkins-aston-villa-frustrated-over-talks-brentford-agree-ivan-toney-deal

"As things stand, the likely asking price of £25m for Watkins could be too high for the Blades, but is affordable for Villa - if they're prepared to rein in their expectations for new recruits in other positions"

Maybe we don't have as much money as people think?

I wouldn't listen to this. Sky Sports, whilst they must have contacts seem to know very little about the goings on of our club. Whilst I cannot remember, would they have been reporting we'd send £130mill last year, I doubt it! 

Edited by SeanVilla

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I feel sorry for Brentford because they keep having all of their best players poached by other teams. It benefits the buying team but weakens Brentford. 

I’ve only seen Watkins on Football on Quest but he looks to he an excellent goalscorer, virtually all of his goals come in the 6 yard box. I haven’t seen him play live, so I can’t comment on his all round game

Tell you what I see. He looks pacey with an eye for goal and, he thinks like a seasoned pro. In their play-off semi Swansea needed something late on and Brentford had a break forward. Benrahma cut inside and hit a shot just over the bar. He sank to his knees feeling sorry for himself and Watkins ran to him, picked him up and, got him to chase back to get back into position. He's a smart lad. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12057827/ollie-watkins-aston-villa-frustrated-over-talks-brentford-agree-ivan-toney-deal

"As things stand, the likely asking price of £25m for Watkins could be too high for the Blades, but is affordable for Villa - if they're prepared to rein in their expectations for new recruits in other positions"

Again, even if what they have said is true.

I don't see how it means that.

It could mean, instead of now spending 30 mill etc on a midfielder for example, we would have to spend 20 mill on one.

Seeing as we want 4 - 5 players.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but with FFP isn’t it possible to work our how much we have to spend based on company accounts?  The owners wealth is irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but with FFP isn’t it possible to work our how much we have to spend based on company accounts?  The owners wealth is irrelevant.

Not sure it's that simple. Didn't they say they were relaxing FFP this year due to Covid? So it's anyone's guess!

2 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Just a thought.

I can't work out what gives us such certainty that Watkins will be a success and worth the £20/25m+ many seem to be so keen to spend.

Hogan had scored 21 in 33 for a worse Brentford at the time we signed him for £12m. Out of interest, what do people think Hogan would be worth today in that exact same scenario? Hogan was only 6 months older when we signed him vs Watkins now.

Hogan had also scored 17 in 33 for his previous club. Watkins record at Brentford is 45 in 132.

Not saying Watkins would be a bad buy..but i'm always so nervous about buying players from any club with a rigid 'system'. It's like Defenders that play for Defensive clubs that always become grossly overrated. When you take them out they're average/poor.

I think that's a valid point. Watkins is probably a lot better than Hogan, but everytime we get linked to the top scorer in the Championship I think of Guy Whittingham. It is a bit of a gamble if they can take the step up. Maupay was bit different in the way that he is a very energetic and quick player who scored many different kind of goals. He has done well to score 10 goals or something in the Premier League, but I'm not sure if he is established yet or can play as a lone striker.

Regarding Watkins I don't see the same stand out attributes as in Maupay, Watkins seems to be a work horse who manage to score a lot of goals, mostly tap ins or Hogan type of goals. Those kind of goals require that a lot of chances are created for him, which was the case for Brentford in the Championship with Benrahma for example, the Brentford playing style also seem to create a lot of chances, hence they have different 20+ goal scorers every season. In our Villa team next season Watkins will not have as many chances and he will be up against far better defenders. He can probably improve even more, but he isn't that young anymore which would increase his price because of future potential. £20/25M seems a lot of money and a bit of a gamble.

I would rather pay that for Benrahma as he has more stand out attributes imo. It's also a bit silly that Championship players now suddenly are valued at more than £20M. Clubs in lower leagues are going bust, that should affect the Championship as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yes, it might make them a pretty penny and be successful in the short term but I’m not sure it’s a good business model in the long term. Players will see them as a stepping stone to move to a so called ‘bigger club’

Brentfords model is prettyuch what Southampton have been doing at a slightly higher level for years.

They've done ok, I guess.

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

For the people moaning at the defending for Edouards goals at international youth level and SPL. 

Here are Watkins goals.

Not so much the defending, but the goalkeeping in that was horrendous. 

1 hour ago, SeanVilla said:

Not sure it's that simple. Didn't they say they were relaxing FFP this year due to Covid? So it's anyone's guess!

I think I read somewhere that they relaxing the rules and were lumping 2 seasons worth of FFP together due to Covid,  That's a sensible move under this present climate, but it would mean if clubs spent a majority of it this season it would leave them thin on the ground next season, hopefully someone can correct me if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I think I read somewhere that they relaxing the rules and were lumping 2 seasons worth of FFP together due to Covid,  That's a sensible move under this present climate, but it would mean if clubs spent a majority of it this season it would leave them thin on the ground next season, hopefully someone can correct me if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

That makes perfect sense. Although it was always a 3 year rolling rule anyway. So my guess would be they'll continue after this year back to rolling 3 years. But surely some leeway because teams will just fail it year after next? The positive for Prem Clubs most money generated is the TV, so are not as affected. Matchday revenue is a small percentage.

• Thanks 1

^ Nearly every goal in that clip is around the 6 yard box where it's been put on a plate for him. With some of those goal were shot straight at the keeper but he failed to save them.

Thats not me saying he's not a good player, but we simply dont create those kind of chances. I feel a striker who can create some of their own chances would be better for us, or someone who can curl it into the top corner.

Think thats the mistake we made when buying Hogan, his highlights clip was full of close range finishes and a few running through on goal latching onto a through ball.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is when a player scored 26 goals in a season and you see that they were all types of goals then you dont mind paying £25m, but when nearly every goal is a tap in you start to think if he's a one season wonder and worth that kind of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jonjon said:

That's how I understood it.

8 hours ago, jonjon said:

im sure i read that also, but cant be 100% sure?

Interesting choices though if true.......bet it all on a colour now or spread it over the 2 years!

26 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Thats not me saying he's not a good player, but we simply dont create those kind of chances

But we do though don't we. Think of Luiz should have made it 2-0 v Spurs H and El Ghazi should have made it 2-0 at Everton A , Wesley should have done the same v Norwich H

They just come to mind but they are exactly the sort of chance that Watkins gobbles up!!

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

But we do though don't we. Think of Luiz should have made it 2-0 v Spurs H and El Ghazi should have made it 2-0 at Everton A , Wesley should have done the same v Norwich H

They just come to mind but they are exactly the sort of chance that Watkins gobbles up!!

But you're presuming Watkins scores every chance, he missed a lot of very easy chances on top of the ones he scored in the games I watched. He easily could have scored 30 plus last season, he missed similar chances to the ones you mentioned above

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

But you're presuming Watkins scores every chance, he missed a lot of very easy chances on top of the ones he scored in the games I watched. He easily could have scored 30 plus last season, he missed similar chances to the ones you mentioned above

Scores a lot though doesn't he? He did score 26 so i wouldn't mind him missing a couple!!

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

Scores a lot though doesn't he? He did score 26 so i wouldn't mind him missing a couple!!

But like I said, we dont create those kind of chances so he wouldn't have scored 26 for us, well not in last seasons team. Depends who else we bring in.. 

It would have been better if he had more strings to his bow, if some of the goals he scored were curlers from outside the area, or taking on the last defender then placing it in the far corener, or rounding the keeper etc..

Every goal was a tap in in that clip.. (apart from 2 I think)

Â