Huge explosion in Beirut

NurembergVillan

25 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Are people suggesting this is more than an accident? 

Yes

There's a conspiracy theory that the firework factory was actually making missiles (again in the city? Madness) had previously been identified by Israel and therefore this was now a missile strike by them 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yes

There's a conspiracy theory that the firework factory was actually making missiles (again in the city? Madness) had previously been identified by Israel and therefore this was now a missile strike by them 

There are plenty who will blame Israel regardless of what evidence is uncovered over the next few weeks. It’s a bit too early to know anything. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes

If that shit country did it, they are going to blame someone else for making them do it. And the rest of the world will shrug.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The explosion that happened in the harbour of Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1917 is the nearest analogy I can think of to the size and scale of this disaster, and that left 2,000 dead, so sadly I'd expect to see something in that vicinity, possibly even more given its apparent proximity to the centre of the city.

It reminded me of the explosion in China 5 years ago that destroyed a port. I’m not sure if they ever said what caused that.

I'm also absolutely intrigued by just the sheer force of the explosion.  Seeing the footage from so many angles is like I'd imagine 9/11 to have been if everyone had modern phones.

Separately, as a Mod, if anyone is uncomfortable with the nature or quantity of the footage in this thread please just send a message and we'll look at it.  This is a unique 21st Century experience, to see it covered from so many human angles, so there's no precedent for what's right or wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apparently there was 2750 tons of confiscated ammonium nitrate in the dockside warehousing. Whatever started the fire that seems to have been the cause of the major explosion. Never seen anything like it. Horrific. 

Just now, Awol said:

Apparently there was 2750 tons of confiscated ammonium nitrate in the dockside warehousing. Whatever started the fire that seems to have been the cause of the major explosion. Never seen anything like it. Horrific. 

The video I posted above from China was supposedly also ammonium nitrate. They are similar but not identical. Different circumstances most likely.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

The video I posted above from China was supposedly also ammonium nitrate. They are similar but not identical. Different circumstances most likely.

Just now, wilko154 said:

2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate confiscated and stored in the port for 4 years.

A completely preventable disaster.

That is from 7 years ago. I don’t think anyone  on Twitter knows what has caused it yet. 

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That is from 7 years ago. I don’t think anyone  on Twitter knows what has caused it yet. 

Probably fair, but I am certain that explosion wasn’t caused by 1) fireworks, or 2) a grain elevator exploding.  

Jordan seismic survey registered the explosion at 4.5. That’s a massive, chemically driven detonation. 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate would fit the bill. 

Edit: Lebanese Interior Minister thinks the guy on Twitter might be right. 

Edited by Awol

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

Probably fair, but I am certain that explosion wasn’t caused by 1) fireworks, or 2) a grain elevator exploding.  

Jordan seismic survey registered the explosion at 4.5. That’s a massive, chemically driven detonation. 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate would fit the bill. 

Edit: Lebanese Interior Minister thinks the guy on Twitter might be right. 

It seems like the initial fire was a shipment of fireworks going off which has set off a nearby storage of ammonium nitrate. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

It seems like the initial fire was a shipment of fireworks going off which has set off a nearby storage of ammonium nitrate. 

Basically the same effect as a tactical nuke, in a country that was already barely functioning and on its knees economically. Sadly in Covid world I’m not sure where the massive help required to rebuild will come from. 

53 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm also absolutely intrigued by just the sheer force of the explosion.  Seeing the footage from so many angles is like I'd imagine 9/11 to have been if everyone had modern phones.

Separately, as a Mod, if anyone is uncomfortable with the nature or quantity of the footage in this thread please just send a message and we'll look at it.  This is a unique 21st Century experience, to see it covered from so many human angles, so there's no precedent for what's right or wrong.

The initial videos of the explosions, if you look at the buildings near the explosion they are getting ripped to pieces. it's like a movie

Â