Huge explosion in Beirut

NurembergVillan

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its a combustible dust, a small spark can set off a grain silo

Definitely looks like the firework factory as you can see the colours and small explosions in the smoke, if that's then hit the silo it will go up

We had precautions about it because of the tiny fine flour particles in the cookie factory at Hartlebury, a lighter in there would have caused that to go up 

Fireworks factory near grain silos though? 

Hospitals apparently already full and turning injured away. News sites are reporting there's at least 15 fatalities, I'd imagine that number is going to grow a fair bit over the next couple of days.

I’d imagine the death toll at the moment is just people who have made it to hospital and then died. 

Unfortunately I imagine there’s loss of people buried out there 😔

Those poor people. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The blast was heard in Cyprus supposedly.

The aftermath is post apocalyptic. Absolutely horrific. 

It was my family told me they heard it. Was like a bomb went off. Absolutely crazy and so sad. RIP to all those that have tragically lost their lives 😞

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

In 2012 I went on my honeymoon to Beirut, a beautiful city. So sad to see this.

I was last in Beirut in 2014, and it's a wonderful city. 

This is terrible to see, and I'm hoping that it turns out to be an horrific accident, rather than anything more sinister. 

The explosion that happened in the harbour of Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1917 is the nearest analogy I can think of to the size and scale of this disaster, and that left 2,000 dead, so sadly I'd expect to see something in that vicinity, possibly even more given its apparent proximity to the centre of the city.

Â