Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

The fact is we're producing players that are becoming important members of the first team or at least important squad members. This will save us a lot of money over the long run. The academy really is doing it's job. I think only the most twisted fan would want to start a thread moaning about it.

The fact is we're producing players that are becoming important members of the first team or at least important squad members. This will save us a lot of money over the long run. The academy really is doing it's job. I think only the most twisted fan would want to start a thread moaning about it.

^^^^^

This.

And (please don't ask me why i'm going on about him still) but MON, imho, didn't nurture them enough when he was here. He bought in an awful lot of talent (some good, some bad and some dowbnright ugly) to the detriment of a number of kids we had. Obvious example being Cahill (although clearly not to Cahill's detriment given where he is now but we could have had a lovely transfer fee for that one).

Academy is doing just fine.

While it is admirable that we are trying to promote the youth into the first team, I don't think the current crop are any more than squad players. Which is fine, I'd rather we filled our squad with local lads on decent wages rather than over-paid journeymen. The problem is depending on them every week, because they just aren't good enough.

The academy does its job and does it better than most. It is the first team that has been managed badly.

We had 3 academy players in our XI, how many did NUFC have?

We actually had 4 - Weimann, Bannan, Clark and Lichaj. Plus Gabby came on for a bit.

It wasn't just the numbers though, the team played well with these players in it, plenty of positives to take from Sunday and further proof that hindsight is a wonderful thing. :winkold:

MON, imho, didn't nurture them enough when he was here.
To argue that you have to ignore the massive encouragement he gave to players like Gabby, Delfouneso and Gardner.

How do you account for this I wonder?

Or is this just another example of talking nonsense about MON which largely goes unchallenged because he is the big bad wolf of Villatalk? :winkold:

MON, imho, didn't nurture them enough when he was here.
To argue that you have to ignore the massive encouragement he gave to players like Gabby, Delfouneso and Gardner.

How do you account for this I wonder?

Or is this just another example of talking nonsense about MON which largely goes unchallenged because he is the big bad wolf of Villatalk? :winkold:

This is getting really tiring.

It was a valid opinion. Personally I agree with him. Gabby and Gardner aside he didn't really do much with the youth IMO, although this was just a part of his bigger problem which was lack of squad rotation.

Sorry but this Thread is rubbish.

I'm not focusing on anyone, but to argue that the Academy is bad is just narrow minded stupidity...

Past performance is not indicative of future results.

The turn over of managers and there back room staff must have caused havoc.

If Lambert's rules are implemented right through the club, I expect to see some solid results out of the Academy in the next few years.

This constant bashing of our club has to stop, next you'll be moaning that your seats shade of blue, before it was replaced was the wrong shade....

Whats past is past...

Will you kindly keep your Anti Villa negative crap to yourself and keep right on the the end of the road, or even try Supporting the Club, including the kids!

It seems to me briny_ear that your the one who draws attention to any O'Neill talk and points a big arrow at it.

The talk of previous managers will always crop up, whats the point of drawing attention to it?

• 2 weeks later...

Today we started with four academy players against Swansea:

Bannan

Clark

Lichaj

Weimann

They all did fine and showed they are capable of having a good Premiel League career. They can also improve, as they are young.

The problem last season was not that the academy players were not good enough. The problem was that there were too many of them on the pitch at the same time when we had an awful manager who was extremely negative.

I think our academy yields good return. Just look at Ciaran Clark and Nathan Baker. The academy has made it possible to get Collins and Cuellar out with only one player in as replacement. First, we have managed to get a fee (2.5 mill) for Collins, and we have saved 80 000 pounds a week in their wages. The replacement cost 3.2 mill and has probably 25-30 000 pounds a week, which gives huge savings. We also has not bough established replacements (as we would have done without our academy players) who would have both cost a fee and would had higher wages than Clark and Baker.

Bannan was very good today. good to see.

The press would be raving about him if he was at Man U or Liverpool.

Actually thought Eric lichaj was the best youth product on show today, very composed and offered a threat even on his weaker side...definitely going to be hard for Bennett to take his place

• 1 month later...

Seems like our academy is now rated as the best in the country.

http://www.avfc.co.u...2978609,00.html

Well done to Bryan Jones and his team. Hopefully this is the start of something big and we can attract some real top class prospects to the Villa academy, who then become world class players. My only issue with this is that we haven't really produced enough quality players locally from our academy over the past few years, but there could be some good'uns in the current crop. Also I'm not sure how partial young foreign talent will be to swapping the Nou Camp for the bright lights of Aston, but its worth a try! Seems like our new German scout will probably go for those making a name for themselves in the German and Dutch youth systems.

As for our current lot, I reckon Weimann and Clark look the best of the bunch right now, maybe Baker and Herd too. Gary Gardner may make it but it depends on how he recovers from his injury. Carruthers was plucked from Arsenal and he could be one to watch. I have little faith in Marc Albrighton though, he's gone backwards since the beggining of the 2010-2011 season and will probably end up in the championship like Delfouneso.

We havent produced any players of REAL talent like some of the more illustrious clubs (Man Utd just struck a goldmine back in the 1990s) and havent had much luck poaching players from abroad like Arsenal have. Hopefully this new status will change that.

Mon got some stick for not using the youth players much but which ones were good enough?

Most are barely good enough now to play for a team battling relegation let alone be good enough to help a team challenging for 4th 3 years ago.

Perfect example. Mon got booed for not bringing on delfonsou. He's now failing at Blackpool.

Good news about the academy but its still not really helping us. We're not making big money from selling top young players and we're not yet producing top class youngsters.

Hopefully this will change.

I see more quantity than [top notch] quality coming out of our Academy at the moment. Certainly being labelled England's #1 academy will be a great selling point and should help us attract even better talent from across England with the new regulations.

Â