Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It was literally before lockdown it might have changed or went ignored since then

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51665904

No, I think you were right first time, my understanding is these rule changes are still in force (people might have noticed that eg Chelsea are selling a higher volume of their 'loan army' this summer, and these rule changes are one of the main reasons why).

5 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Albrighton won the league!

Maybe not the level we all want to bring people through at but Ciaran Clark is a regular premier League player. Callum Robinson had some nice goals Vs Chelsea in the Prem last year but now in the Championship. Bannan, Weimann, O'Hare, Gardner, Baker, Hogg and Sarkic all in the Championship. As are Jordan Graham and Danny Crowley albeit they left villa earlier on in their careers and aren't quite there yet.

Hopefully this crop are a big improvement and go on to have more successful careers, but the Academy produced some players who have made a career out of football during a tumultuous time for the club ownership wise and through a lack of investment.

Excited to see what we can do now we have investment and are being run properly, early signs are good!

Most of those players came through more than 10 years ago though. Albrighton, Clark, Weimann, Bannan, Baker and Hogg all made their senior debuts around 2009 and 2010 IIRC. That's what I mean - we just haven't really produced many even remotely close to the first team in the past 10 years besides Lubb and Green.

Admittedly I'm being a bit pedantic with the years but basically between 2012 and 2020 we had two players come through and actually break into the first team, and one of those (Green) could barely cut it in the Championship and was soon moved on.

But it's clear we have so many promising youngsters now. Jacob Ramsey was just a taster.

Edited by Mantis

Would just like to state my appreciation for Villa setting up like I do with most of my Football Manager saves.  Bring in talented youth, get them ready for first team.  Rinse and repeat.

Brilliant to see it happening (hopefully!) in real life :D 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adman said:

But of a strange one this link up.  Wonder how its going down with the rest of the staff and players.  

During the Bailey unveiling on YouTube Craig Butler alluded to the Phoenix Academy doing a UK tour playing other academies. It makes sense that they'd be playing our academy too.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It would apply just to international loans at first, involving players aged 22 or over.

It looks like it won't affect academy players anyway. Which is good. Keep them on the books or loaned out untill they are 22 and then either sell or keep in the first team.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

It was literally before lockdown it might have changed or went ignored since then

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51665904

So will we see an in increase of players sold with an agreed buy back fee. So we sell youngster A to Northampton for £100k - he signs a one year contract with them and we have an agreed buy back fee of £100k !!!!!!!  - Probably rules against this though. 

Always sceptical about expectations of numbers making it from youth to prem - probably the toughest league in the world. But this current batch look like something else - Bidace looks pretty much ready - I also liked Brad Young -  Carney - Ive not seem much of but seems well rated.

Another difference this time is though will go in the first team when ready - not because we are skint - as happened with previous generations.

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

These lads were sitting the row in front of my in the Upper Trinity Road v Newcastle on Saturday, nice lads and they were so excited to be at Villa Park.

They were 2 rows in front of me, I wondered who they all were.

17 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Remember me banging on about what was happening in the academy about a year ago? Well everyone can see it now.

No guarantee's of anything and talk of the United class of 92 is a little crazy but there is something special happening at the Villa academy.

Investment in signings, in coaching, in player development, in loan management, in staff recruitment, in facilities, in grass roots scouting.... it goes on and on and on.

The foundations being put in place by Mark Harrison and those who enable him to carry out his work and indeed those who work for him is creating a bedrock for years to come.

It isn't just the quality of the youth players at the club it is the depth of that quality, it is mouth watering. 

Just think how many promising forwards we have.... Barry, Young, Shakpoke, Archer... there are 3 or 4 more others behind them.

We've shown in the last 12 months we've the ability to go and sign highly talented and sort after youth players, we've both the financial power to do it and it seems real strength in our sell to players and their families/representatives.

That last point shouldn't be overlooked, we really sell the club to young players and you can bet the amount of first team football exposure these lads are getting will be part of our pitch.

People in the game will be talking about our ambitions at academy level and you can bet young players are going to be increasingly keen to join us.

Truly excited about what is happening in this aspect of the club.

Great post, I know that a certain agency that I won’t name have tried a few times to get a few of these players (unsuccessfully thank god) because they see them being worth tens of millions of pounds 

Jacob Ramsey U21s, Philogene-Bidace and Kesler Hayden U20s, Carney Chukwuemeka, Aaron Ramsey, and Marschall U19s, have all been called up by England today.

Strange that Barry has been left out altogether unless he's picked up an injury, Chrisene I would have expected to be with the U18s as well so presumably still injured.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Jacob Ramsey U21s, Philogene-Bidace and Kesler Hayden U20s, Carney Chukwuemeka, Aaron Ramsey, and Marschall U19s, have all been called up by England today.

Strange that Barry has been left out altogether unless he's picked up an injury, Chrisene I would have expected to be with the U18s as well so presumably still injured.

Fantastic for the lads - but the likes of JPB and CC could be in with the U21s already (I imagine if they played for a more favourable team then they would be) 

To be fair to Chukwuemeka he's already playing a couple of ages up as he's still young enough to play for the U17s, I think they'll quickly move him up the age groups again if starts getting a decent amount of game time in the Premier league. Philogene-Bidace named in the U20 squad, but I imagine if there's any injuries to any of the attackers in the U21s and he might be moved up.

Was wondering if Bradley Young and Raikhy might get call ups, hasn't happend, but the fact that Kesler Hayden has whilst playing in League Two might give Young some encouragement.

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Fantastic for the lads - but the likes of JPB and CC could be in with the U21s already (I imagine if they played for a more favourable team then they would be) 

There is a lot of competition at u21 level for the wide forwards so I can see why JPB isn’t there.

• Like 1

In the last month Hammond, Proctor, (U15 goalkeeper camp), Kadan Young (U16s), Lewis, Feeney, Barber, Patterson (17s), Marschall, Chukwuemeka, Aaron Ramsey (U19s), Kesler Hayden, Philogene-Bidace (U20s), Jacob Ramsey (U21s), have all been called up from our academy by England, that's thirteen players, and normally you'd expect Bary and Chrisene to be involved as well.

Edited by useless

Here’s the team for the PL2 game. Probably a stupid question, but the last two games we’ve listed ‘Trialist’ on there… why don’t we just put their actual name (whoever the trialist is)? Or is it a mistake?

• Like 1

Â