Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We knew this anyway but we have some seriously talented young lads.

This model of hoovering up the best local kids and signing some of countries best youngsters is really going to pay dividends over the next few seasons.

Really exciting times. 

Exactly. We can't challenge City or Chelsea at first team level yet, as they're years ahead of us, but what we can do is become the best place for young players to develop. 

Sure, they won't all make it and some will move on like Jack no doubt, but we could earn huge money out of it as well to invest. 

Immense group of young players that just seem to collectively be getting better and better.

It may be that we barely need to make any big signings over the next few years, as well as having an unreal crop of players coming through it’ll also make us almost entirely self-sustainable. 

Please McGrath, make it so.

• Like 1

Don't think anyone has posted this yet.  Looks like Leon Bailey's stepfather's academy is in the UK and played the Villa academy side.  Here are the highlights and Bailey himself gave them the halftime talk.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Don't think anyone has posted this yet.  Looks like Leon Bailey's stepfather's academy is in the UK and played the Villa academy side.  Here are the highlights and Bailey himself gave them the halftime talk.  

Hopefully a link can between the 2 can be made, there is clearly some talent there. Not sure what the story with work permits would be though.

8 minutes ago, Adman said:

But of a strange one this link up.  Wonder how its going down with the rest of the staff and players.  

If we get the chance to take the cream of their talent on then its all good. Jamaicans are the fastest people on the planet . 

Definitely the most exciting group of prospects we've had for well over a decade. Mike Lubb aside we haven't produced anyone remotely good in the past 10 years or so. Andre Green is the only other one I can think of who actually broke into the first team for us, and even then it wasn't for that long.

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Remember me banging on about what was happening in the academy about a year ago? Well everyone can see it now.

Investment in signings, in coaching, in player development, in loan management, in staff recruitment, in facilities, in grass roots scouting.... it goes on and on and on.

The foundations being put in place by Mark Harrison and those who enable him to carry out his work and indeed those who work for him is creating a bedrock for years to come

Truly excited about what is happening in this aspect of the club.

Totally agree. And the one thing i took out of Purslows video message was when he said that our young players really are our future.

We used to be proud of our set up under McAndrew but this is light years ahead now. 

The one thing that gets me is how many baggies players we are taking off them. Its like virtually all of the midlands talent has been developing there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Totally agree. And the one thing i took out of Purslows video message was when he said that our young players really are our future.

We used to be proud of our set up under McAndrew but this is light years ahead now

The one thing that gets me is how many baggies players we are taking off them. Its like virtually all of the midlands talent has been developing there.  

1629852062672.gif

Edited by Dave-R

I'm curious to see how we manage Academy talent that are late bloomers. Not all top talents are ready to break into a Premier League side (especially one that aspires to be Top 6) at age 19 or 20. Most will be ready at age 23 or 24.  Will we be loaning them out for 4-5 years until they fully mature?  

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

Definitely the most exciting group of prospects we've had for well over a decade. Mike Lubb aside we haven't produced anyone remotely good in the past 10 years or so. Andre Green is the only other one I can think of who actually broke into the first team for us, and even then it wasn't for that long.

Albrighton won the league!

Maybe not the level we all want to bring people through at but Ciaran Clark is a regular premier League player. Callum Robinson had some nice goals Vs Chelsea in the Prem last year but now in the Championship. Bannan, Weimann, O'Hare, Gardner, Baker, Hogg and Sarkic all in the Championship. As are Jordan Graham and Danny Crowley albeit they left villa earlier on in their careers and aren't quite there yet.

Hopefully this crop are a big improvement and go on to have more successful careers, but the Academy produced some players who have made a career out of football during a tumultuous time for the club ownership wise and through a lack of investment.

Excited to see what we can do now we have investment and are being run properly, early signs are good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

I'm curious to see how we manage Academy talent that are late bloomers. Not all top talents are ready to break into a Premier League side (especially one that aspires to be Top 6) at age 19 or 20. Most will be ready at age 23 or 24.  Will we be loaning them out for 4-5 years until they fully mature?  

I'd hope so, this is basically what Chelsea do. Have 80 players on the books with 50 of them loaned out at any given time. It's a huge leg up for FFP if we have a steady stream of quality kids coming through to play or sell. 

32 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'd hope so, this is basically what Chelsea do. Have 80 players on the books with 50 of them loaned out at any given time. It's a huge leg up for FFP if we have a steady stream of quality kids coming through to play or sell. 

Interestingly that is where Purslow started so maybe he is to thank for what is happening at Youth level?

Edited by S-Platt

32 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

They changed the rules on that, think from next season you cannot loan as many players out

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

They changed the rules on that, think from next season you cannot loan as many players out

Did they? I didn't see anything to confirm that, must have missed it. Do you have a source link describing the changes?

That Pheonix Academy must have some good players to beat us 7-4, looking at that video quite a few of our first year scholars were playing, Sam Lewis in goal was recently away with England U17s and they put seven goals past him. Promising sign for Jamaican football, someone on twitter said that we're supposedly taking on their best young prospect, can't find any information on that but wouldn't surprise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Did they? I didn't see anything to confirm that, must have missed it. Do you have a source link describing the changes?

It was literally before lockdown it might have changed or went ignored since then

Restrictions on the number of loan deals clubs can agree are set to come into force next season.

Fifa has proposed new regulations that would mean clubs could only have eight loan deals per season, both in and out of the club. That would then be reduced to six from 2022-23.

It would apply just to international loans at first, involving players aged 22 or over.

Chelsea currently have 28 players out on loan, with 15 aged 22 or over.

The plans are subject to the approval of the Fifa Council.

Fifa said the new regulations are intended to "ensure that loans have a valid sporting purpose for youth development".

Individual leagues would then be given a period of three years to implement similar rules for domestic loan deals.

Current Premier League rules state that clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time. Clubs can only register four loans in total in one season and cannot sign more than one player from the same club on loan at any one time.

There are no restrictions on numbers of players that can leave clubs on loan.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51665904

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â