Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's a depressing thought for the day;  in the Premier league Chukwuemeka's first goal would have been disallowed after a VAR check because of the striker standing in front of the keeper.

If someone carries that thought around all day, I suggest they seek help. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Obviously it was far from the only reason and the owners have done an incredible job with its overhaul - but I do think having a poisonous individual like him there didn't help things either. 

Heard a few players interviews on his time at Swindon, and they never even remotely called him an arse, yet aione a bully.

Similar with the Birmingham Mail YT channel; they've had Bannan on, Albrighton, Gabby and they all just state he was firm but a great guy.

The guy oversaw a whole host of players coming through the academy, more than we can dream of at the minute. No surprise it all started to fade away when Lerner bought us and the infrastructure died.

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's a depressing thought for the day;  in the Premier league Chukwuemeka's first goal would have been disallowed after a VAR check because of the striker standing in front of the keeper.

I wish they would just forget about VAR and let it die a natural death.

Just let the referees make the decisions. I would much rather have a good old moan about the referee than about a faceless piece of software drawing lines on the pitch.

It is spoiling the game. How many goal celebrations are muted awaiting the verdict of VAR.

They changed the rules several times to aid the attackers and produce more goals. VAR seems to do the opposite.

It was refreshing to watch the game last night without VAR; even the commentators mentioned it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I wish they would just forget about VAR and let it die a natural death.

Just let the referees make the decisions. I would much rather have a good old moan about the referee than about a faceless piece of software drawing lines on the pitch.

It is spoiling the game. How many goal celebrations are muted awaiting the verdict of VAR.

They changed the rules several times to aid the attackers and produce more goals. VAR seems to do the opposite.

It was refreshing to watch the game last night without VAR; even the commentators mentioned it.

I thought the ref last night let a lot more go too, there was obviously less diving but at the same time there was a lot of the softer stuff that he didn't give either 

Would be interested to know how it works with the ref, I doubt they use the yoof leagues and cups to also bleed through potential youngsters for that, he looked a guy in his mid 30s not a 20 year old also learning his trade 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, useless said:

Young has scored four in four in the FA Youth Cup and fourteen in sixteen in the U18 league, and also recently scored his first U23 goal, nineteen for the season, in not much more than twenty games.

And I said ,``He doesn't look sharp in front of goal.'' Now I feel silly.

• Like 1

Popped into the Newcastle and west brom forum to see what they were saying about the you and to my surprise the Newcastle forums are like a Ghost town think (they have had enough). West Brom however I had to laugh at this one particular message:

The under 18's have made a 2nd FA youth cup semi final in the space of a few years, by beating an Everton side that have beaten Man City and Chelsea.

We play Villa in the semi final with a serious chance of winning the thing.

A nice silver lining after a tough season and maybe proof we really should be giving our academy kids more chances.

That means that they didn't pay any attentions in our games against our last few opponents especially Newcastle, not to mention how many goals we have put in the back of the net. I feel more confident of our Youth giving there lads the same kind of response we've been giving team lately.

Our guys last night generally looked taller, more muscular and athletic than them.

That surprised me pleasantly, because I seem to remember, rightly or wrongly, our youth teams always being smaller than the opposition.

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

Obviously it was far from the only reason and the owners have done an incredible job with its overhaul - but I do think having a poisonous individual like him there didn't help things either. 

And yet plenty of players who came through the youth team have praised him. 

I watched the Everton v West Brom game and Albion looked the much better team, played the better football and had the better individual players, Jovan Malcon, Rico Richards, Tim Iroegbunam, and Aurio Teixeira all stood out.They've beat two very decent sides in Everton and Spurs in the last two rounds so won't be an easy game, based on the Everton game I'd say we play the better football, but they're much more physically stronger than us.

24 minutes ago, useless said:

I watched the Everton v West Brom game and Albion looked the much better team, played the better football and had the better individual players, Jovan Malcon, Rico Richards, Tim Iroegbunam, and Aurio Teixeira all stood out.They've beat two very decent sides in Everton and Spurs in the last two rounds so won't be an easy game, based on the Everton game I'd say we play the better football, but they're much more physically stronger than us.

Do you know how many of the side that played Everton played in the 6-4 game last week?

I think we went fairly strong in that game, but not quite the full Youth Cup side, but we were also probably a little fortunate.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

And yet plenty of players who came through the youth team have praised him. 

A few did, yes. I wonder how many didn't make it because of him, though? 

Coaching has changed a lot in the last 15 years or so. 

20 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's funny, but I was reading an interview with John Gidman and he was remenicising about his time with the Villa. He mentioned a game against Man United in the Central League and George Best happened to be playing for Utd. Gidman couldn't believe when he walked out the tunnel to see a packed Villa Park.

Incidentally, if Kesler is half as good as Gidman, then, trust me, we have some player on our hands. 

Could not agree more re Gidman - attack or defence - no problem.

• Like 1

Seven of the Albion team that beat Everton also played in their 6-4 defeat to us, I think most of their better players played in the 6-4 game, although Malcom who I think is their top scorer was missing. We also beat them earlier in the season when Malcom was playing

We played a strong team against them, was pretty much our U23 team: Marschall, Revan, Appiah, Bogarde, Kesler, Lindley, Aaron Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Afoka, Barry and Brad Young...

But worth rememering that Kesler and Ramsey were brought off with less than half an hour gone, Chukwuemeka came off at half-time, and we played a third of the match down to ten men with Swinkels in goal, it was also whilst down to ten men that we scored three to come back from 4-3 down to win the game.

I think we're probably favorites, but they seem a decent side when on form.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do you know how many of the side that played Everton played in the 6-4 game last week?

I think we went fairly strong in that game, but not quite the full Youth Cup side, but we were also probably a little fortunate.

Fortunate? Played nearly the whole second half with ten men and a defender in goal against a very strong WBA team.

1 hour ago, Dadster23 said:

Fortunate? Played nearly the whole second half with ten men and a defender in goal against a very strong WBA team.

Exactly. You need a bit of luck to come from behind with ten men and a CB in goal!

Â