Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

I must admit that i hadn't thought Chukwuemeka was as good as he had been made out to be .... until tonight. He seems to have everything . A potentially brilliant player. Barry had a shite game and we still scored 6. There are threats all over the pitch and many of them have made huge improvements over the season. With both Chrisene and Aaron not playing either tonight the future is looking decent isn't it

• Like 1

Looks like a Villa V Albion semi, shame it's not a final.

The lads did brilliant, some even worthy of getting some minutes in the Senior team. 

Newcastle were humiliated to be fair, they couldnt do a thing and couldn't hardly get the ball.

We out pressed, our skilled, just out created and if I were to give our Lads a score it would be a 9.5/10 and the only reason it's not perfect was because of the unecessary tactical fouls that led to there goal.

Commentators were right that you should expect that level of performance from them, it does seem some are more advanced for where they are playing. 

I think Smith should without a doubt use Chukweumeka and Barry and give them some game time.

Edited by Dave-R

Kesler looked much better when he move to right-back, he actually looked more of an attacking threat from that position.

Raikhy possibly the second best player on the pitch after Chukwuemeka, presses the opposition really well, has good work rate, always makes himself available for a pass, and is a very good passer. He and Brad Young both underrated, the more I see Young the more he looks to have to his game than I initially thought.

Also good to see Reddin get on the scoresheet, an assist and a goal for him in his first two games playing alongside our U23 level players.

• Like 3

That was a good watch. Completely outclassed Newcastle. Chukweumeka and Raiky the standouts for me; Bogarde and Appiah and the keeper Marschal also looked good; Young gets through a lot of work but doesn't look sharp in front of goal; Barry was poor - definitely not his night.

Some decent players there. Be interesting to see if any come through.

Young has scored four in four in the FA Youth Cup and fourteen in sixteen in the U18 league, and also recently scored his first U23 goal, nineteen for the season, in not much more than twenty games.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Much more entertaining than the seniors! They looked terrific, really well drilled, very smart and sharp interplay with an understanding of where team mates were. Lots of clever footwork too. Very confident build up from the back, lots of very good talent there. Barry clearly wasn’t at the races; Chukweumeka and that right back were very good indeed. Really enjoyed that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

It's funny, but I was reading an interview with John Gidman and he was remenicising about his time with the Villa. He mentioned a game against Man United in the Central League and George Best happened to be playing for Utd. Gidman couldn't believe when he walked out the tunnel to see a packed Villa Park.

Incidentally, if Kesler is half as good as Gidman, then, trust me, we have some player on our hands. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lexicon said:

How much was Kevin MacDonald holding us back? 

I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on an individual, our academy had been on the decline for years.

I think it's easy to underestimate just how much investment and care has been taken in getting our academy back up and running and indeed how much is still being invested in growing it - it was neglected for years but the revamp of the entire coaching structure, the building of it's own facility and stadium, the focus and finance for recruitment and the work being done by our sports science and analytical teams is a million miles away from where we were three years ago - long may it continue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on an individual, our academy had been on the decline for years.

I think it's easy to underestimate just how much investment and care has been taken in getting our academy back up and running and indeed how much is still being invested in growing it - it was neglected for years but the revamp of the entire coaching structure, the building of it's own facility and stadium, the focus and finance for recruitment and the work being done by our sports science and analytical teams is a million miles away from where we were three years ago - long may it continue.

Obviously it was far from the only reason and the owners have done an incredible job with its overhaul - but I do think having a poisonous individual like him there didn't help things either. 

• Like 1

Â