Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Palace look much stronger than us, and are quicker to lose balls. Young playing well, but most of his good work is dropping deep. I think putting Bogarde in midfield would probably see us improve, as would help us control the midfield better. Hopefully see Reddin at some point in the second half as well.

• Like 1

Wait, Mark Bright?

Mark "I hate Villa" Bright?

Mark "Oh no" when Villa scored Bright?

Mark "Describes any game of football as if it is happening in his head rather than in front of him" Bright?

Britain's worst pundit. I wondered where he'd gone.

I hope he's really poorly paid.

• Haha 1

The reason we're losing here is because our keeper and centre-backs are worse than the rest of the team IMO. That goal shouldn't have come about; Zych misjudged the flight of the ball - not for the first time today - and Swinkels was marking Zych, not paying attention to the only man in the six-yard box. In addition to Appiah giving away the first (okay, it was outside the area, but it wa a stupid tackle anyway).

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The reason we're losing here is because our keeper and centre-backs are worse than the rest of the team IMO. That goal shouldn't have come about; Zych misjudged the flight of the ball - not for the first time today - and Swinkels was marking Zych, not paying attention to the only man in the six-yard box. In addition to Appiah giving away the first (okay, it was outside the area, but it wa a stupid tackle anyway).

Centre back is a weak area right through the Academy - we have midfielders and full backs playing there regularly at U23 and it's hard to pick out anyone at the position that you'd say is a real prospect. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Centre back is a weak area right through the Academy - we have midfielders and full backs playing there regularly at U23 and it's hard to pick out anyone at the position that you'd say is a real prospect. 

Yes, I completely agree. Needs work soon IMO, we might waste Bogarde and Sylla's potential by playing them out of position.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bogarde on for for Sylla.

A full hour into a game he's being paid to be an expert on and Mark Bright looks at Sylla coming off and says  "Swinkels coming off".  I rest my case.

You missed the bit in the first half when he was calling our players things like 'Appiah Paul' and 'Young Brad' because he hadn't worked out the website he'd got the names from had put the surnames first :crylaugh:

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Obvious foul here down to the evolution of the game according to Bright - you can only foul with your feet apparently. 

I think I'l have to mute him or I'll just end up spamming this thread.

Office Monkey GIF

• Haha 3

Before the last two games in which we've conceded ten goals we had the best defence in the league, it's scoring goals where we've struggled, only the bottom two, and West Ham who are fourth from bottom have scored fewer, way too reliant on Young, and he's only scored one goal at this level since Christmas.

Finishes 3-1 to Palace, probably a fair reflection of the game. I hope their lad isn't too badly hurt, he was one of the two best players along with the guy Rak-Saki or however you spell it.

For us, Young fought hard, Abldeen-Goodridge scored but he and Sewell didn't create anything else, and we were weak at centre back and in goal. I would have hoped that Raikhy and Sylla could have controlled the middle of the park better as well.

EDIT: Reading that back it sounds very critical, but I don't mean to be too harsh, there's potential in lots of these players, and Palace are a good side. Attention all on the cup game(s) now.

Edited by HanoiVillan

Given the team we had out I think we were capable of doing better than we did, I'd put it down to some of the players being tired after the playing just a few days ago, the fact that our season is pretty much over, and we had a few out of position, some of them might lose a bit of motivation at this level after playing U23 football as well, again especially as we've nothing to play for really.

All that said we did improve in the second half when we managed to get Sewell into the game a little more, and Reddin looked lively when he came on.

The game to me highlighted just how good the likes of Bogarde, Kesler, Barry, Chukwuemeka, and Ramsey are, put them in today's team and we probably would have won comfortably. You only have to look at Brighton who've won seven of their last eight in the league including beating our U18 league team, but in the FA Youth Cup against our better players who are still eighteen or under themselves and they were comfortably beat.

• Like 1

I think I'd add to that that we've shuffled our teams around a fair bit in the last couple of games, seniors in the U23's and our more talented U18's moving between the two sides - in both of the two games this week we've played teams that won't have played together before. I think the settled side that plays in the youth cup has a fluency and a trust that they've built that wasn't in either of this week's games.

Â