Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

12 hours ago, useless said:

Bellingham has had a full season at championship level and is now playing for Borussia Dortumd in the champions league, so he's obviously further along in his development than Chukwuemeka. But I don't think there's anything to be gained by comparing our academy players to Bellingham, him doing as well as he has done at such a young age is very rare, pretty much every academy in world football would in trouble if they were doubting their young players just because they aren't doing as well as Bellingham.

Different players develop at different rates, there are players now that will be around seventeen or eighteen that none of us have heard of, aren't playing first team football, but in around five or six years will be considered amongst some of the best players around.

It's also worth remembering that Bellingham also benefited from being at a struggling championship club, so it was easier for him to be given a chance. I like him as a player, so not saying this to put him down, but there will players the same age as him who hardly any of us have heard of that will go on to have a better career, so again goes back to the  thing of youngsters developing at different rates.

The question wasn't intended to doubt our youth....it was meant to seek out perspective.

we are being told often big clubs sniffing around our youth, i think Man City managed to secure one, who was highly rated.

My point was leaning towards, why did we not court Bellingham more intensly......I think he will be a top,top, player.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

The question wasn't intended to doubt our youth....it was meant to seek out perspective.

we are being told often big clubs sniffing around our youth, i think Man City managed to secure one, who was highly rated.

My point was leaning towards, why did we not court Bellingham more intensly......I think he will be a top,top, player.

re Bellingham, i would imagine:

a) politically SHA wouldn't want to sell him to us under any circumstances,

b) he's an SHA fan so i imagine that might be a blocker also,

c) i imagine we didnt have the money to punt on a 17 year old at the time, with other keys areas requiring investment,

d) Once a team like Dortmund went in for him, would he really have even considered a team that avoided relegation that season by a near miracle?

I just think there were many small things at the time, adding up to a scenario where it would have been nearly impossible for us to have any chance of signing him, even if we wanted to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

c) i imagine we didnt have the money to punt on a 17 year old at the time, with other keys areas requiring investment,

d) Once a team like Dortmund went in for him, would he really have even considered a team that avoided relegation that season by a near miracle?

I just think there were many small things at the time, adding up to a scenario where it would have been nearly impossible for us to have any chance of signing him, even if we wanted to.

Fair comment.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I believe Bellingham was actually a Villa fan, or at least his dad was. Not certain, mind, and could just be one of those rumours that aren’t true, such as Bowen. 

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Bellingham is arguably the best 17-year-old in world football, there's not much point comparing our 17-year-old's to him.

I think you are right.....and i don't watch youth football.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I’m just assuming we couldn’t get him.  I mean we went and got Barry from Barcelona and we’ve brought in other good young prospects, I’d doubt we missed somebody on our doorstep that even us fans knew about.  I have to believe that we, along with many other teams, for some reason couldn’t get him.

• Thanks 1

It looked like it could be a very important game at one point, but having won only one of the last eight culminating in a 7-0 defeat to Chelsea last weekend we're no longer in the title race. Slightly worrying thing is that Palace are in much better form than Chelsea are, second in the league on the same points as leaders Fulham, unbeaten in eleven and in that time have put five past West Ham and Norwich, four past Southampton and Fulham, and seven past West Brom.

So if form is anything to go by will be a tough game, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a temptation to use a few U23 regulars that didn't play today like Raikhy, Bogarde, Chrisene, Young and Revan.

Teams news: Zych, Hart, Swinkels, Appiah, Revan, Sylla Tommi O'Reilly, Abldeen-Goodridge, Bradley Young, Raikhy, Sewell

Subs: Marschall, Aaron O'Reilly, McBride, Bogarde, Reddin

Our U18s struggle for goals so that's probably game over, was expecting a much better performance given the strength of our line up, most of them have played U23 football, but Palace have been much the better team.

16 minutes ago, useless said:

I know it's his job but Palace co commentator doesn't stop talking, doesn't give the actual commentator a chance to speak.

I like Brighty to be honest, think he breaks the game down well. I like that he comments about what the coaches are shouting as well.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't mind what he's saying, very fair and balanced, just talks a lot.

My guess is that the dynamic is very much that Bright is a long-time summariser who's done a lot of work on 5 Live, whereas their commentator hasn't done that much work before, so unlike most TV commentary, in this case the summariser is the 'senior' broadcaster taking charge.

Â