Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Aston Villa’s Under-18 Premier League South fixtures have been confirmed for the 2021/22 season.

The Young Lions will open their campaign away to Arsenal on Saturday, August 14 (ko 12noon).

Villa then host Norwich City in their first home fixture at Bodymoor Heath on Saturday, August 21.

The Villans, who finished fifth in the table last season before going on to lift the FA Youth Cup, will also face midlands neighbours Birmingham City this term.

The first meeting takes place at home on Saturday, December 18 before the return clash away to Blues on the final day of the league season on Saturday, May 7.

Villa also face local derbies against West Bromwich Albion, firstly at home on Saturday, November 20 before the return clash away on Saturday, January 15.

You can see the full fixture list below…

avfc

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, useless said:

A strong U23 side beat Hednesford 8-1 last night, don't know the scorers ...

Looking on instagram it seems the goalscorers were Wright, Young, Sewell, Barry, Goodridge, Hart, and Archer with two.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

U16 Kadan Young has been called up to England u16s according to his Instagram. I saw him come on as a sub for our u18s last season on Arsenal Tv, I thought at the time that he was an u16. He must have been an u15, he looked good even though, he was only on the pitch for a short time 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Baggies fans fairly confident we are systematically targeting them in the hopes that they pull funding from their dwindling academy and eventually are stripped of their Category 1 Status.

27 Clubs have Cat 1 Status, for us to really own recruitment in the Midlands in the way say Southampton do down south/into Cornwall we could really do with that strategy coming to fruition.

Wolves, West Brom, Leicester, Blues (as of March) and Us are all in those Top 27. If we could also target Blues who nearly dismantled their academy as well as WBA that would be grand. They have a better recent history of bringing their prospects through than WBA too.

Redmond, Gray (left too soon), Bellingham, Butland, Mutch even. I'm sure there are some great examples at WBA too but only one that springs to mind is Berahino 🥴

Anyway there's some talent there too. They had a lad sign for Leeds for over £1m and have a 14yr old winger in Trevan Sanussi allegedly being chased by 'The Sky 6'. Be nice to do a similar job on Blues as we have on WBA. If we can make that 27 Clubs down to 25 and share the Midlands with Wolves and Leicester we can work on monopolizing the area.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Thanks 1

The Albion academy is much better than small heath's, in the last two or three years they've produced at least twenty players that have been involved with England at youth level, if you're producing that many players getting England recognition then you're doing something right, there won't be many clubs with a better record over the same period. That's why we've targeted their players and staff because they happen to have a lot of very good ones...

The likes Redmond, Mutch, and Butland are all in their late twenties, Gray is twenty-five, so they're not really an indication of how good or bad the small heath academy is at present...  they might have one or two youth players worth looking at, but the reason we haven't targeted them to the same extent as West Brom is probably for the simple reason that they don't have as many good prospects as Albion do and we aren't going to sign players for the sake of it or just to disrupt another team's academy despite what Albion fans might think...

All that said we've also been making a lot of signings in the lower age groups, so it might be that we've been targeting some of small heath's better prospects at that level.

Really excited to see who makes the step up this season, with Grealish going and a seemingly quiet front on transfers inbound are we perhaps looking at bringing in a handful into the first team squad? 

It’s a gamble, obvs, but if the club think they’re ready then I’m on board and it’s surely the model we’re aiming for in the long run with all the work that’s been put into the academy and signing of young talent.

• Like 4

I wondered if we might go for Max Alleyene being an highly rated a left back that a lot of the top academies were supposedly looking at, I see now that he's gone to Man City, a bit surprised by that as they've only just signed another highly rated left back in Tomas Galvez from Watford, and also have our former player Kane Taylor who's been playing left back for them and England U16s, I wondered if we might try and sign him back, but he's just signed his scholarship with them.

• Thanks 1

Just seen that Josh Feeney played for the first team over the weekend, must have been the Crewe game at Bodymoor Heath. He's also been moved up an age group for England, currently away with the U17s, only turned 16 in May. Not sure at what age level but looks like Jayden Barber has been called up by England as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 02/08/2021 at 16:52, useless said:

Not sure at what age level but looks like Jayden Barber has been called up by England as well

He's with the U17s along with Feeney and Patterson.

• Thanks 1

Lewis Brunt and Brad Burton both played for Leicester U23s last night, they seem to like our released U23 players they've still got Mitch Clark, had Harry McKirdy on trial during last season, and Viktor Johansson was with them at one point as well after leaving us, they've even got a player called Brad Young in goal...

Massive Shoutout to the Villa Academy who produced a £100 million footballer. Cant wait for the next few to come through, Josh Feeney and Patterson to name a few 

On 31/07/2021 at 22:17, useless said:

I wondered if we might go for Max Alleyene being an highly rated a left back that a lot of the top academies were supposedly looking at, I see now that he's gone to Man City, a bit surprised by that as they've only just signed another highly rated left back in Tomas Galvez from Watford, and also have our former player Kane Taylor who's been playing left back for them and England U16s, I wondered if we might try and sign him back, but he's just signed his scholarship with them.

Arent we getting Thierry Small from Everton? 
Small is actually from Solihull 

We've got another youngster being recognized by England, goalkeeper Sam Lewis is currently with the U17 squad. His agency announced a couple of months back that he'd signed his first scholarship with us a year early at the age of fifteen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â