Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

It really is encouraging how much of a drive there is to fill our academy with promising talent. It feels like they're doing it in a really urgent manner too. It's something Purslow has stated in practically every interview, and has been on show from all their staff signings over the last year or so, but it's just great to see. This is what well run teams do across the world to consistently be good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He's also trained with Man City and played for Chelsea's U16s when they our U16s 10-2 apparently. And made his league debut for Exeter at the age of 15. Sounds like a promising player if he does sign.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I’m really excited by what we are doing with the academy, it’s just a shame that we won’t see the benefits for 4/5 years.

I'm not so sure, the idea is to give young players more match exposure at a higher level than Under 18's to push their development.

If we are buying 16 year old's for the Under 23's I would say they will be looking for them to reach the 1st team squad by 18-20 if not they will move on as you'd assume they will continue signing younger players.

• Like 3

This all sounds very promising. Our recent history is 1 good player every decade or so, plus a couple of squad players at any given point.
Imagine, in a few years, having 5 or 6 home grown players in the squad - that's possibly £100m of talent which hasn't cost us anything...more if we find another Jack or Gary Cahill. 

I also agree with Purslow...if a player isn't in our first team squad at 22 (given we've been shite for years), then it's highly unlikely they'll develop further. We need to be getting them out on loan when they're young (i.e when they're 18 or 19) and then into the first team squad or out of the door.

• Like 1

I welcome this ambition and desire to integrate young talent into the DNA of the club, not cast off on loans. Identifying and nurturing a range of talents with the budget to bring in real potential. This to me is a sign of major progress. It’s exciting to see who else we pick up in the months ahead. And how they will develop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The academy has shown signs of being ambitious, organised and driven in the last six months or so - there's a real sense of something happening. The women's team looks the same in fairness - I have a feeling these are both signs of a club in very good health. I hope so anyway.

Now if we can just tie Jaden Philogene-Bidace down to a contract and actually start playing games again I'll be blummin' delighted.

I agree OBE, I was going to pass comment on the women’s team as well because it’s clearly really being focussed upon.

Whatever people’s views on the women’s game I think the fact the club are belatedly taking it seriously is a sign that the club is being run properly.

You don’t take time and invest money in the youth system and the women’s team if you aren’t in it for the medium to long term.

There is an ambition to elevate the club that goes beyond the first team and that’s hugely encouraging.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I welcome this ambition and desire to integrate young talent into the DNA of the club, not cast off on loans. Identifying and nurturing a range of talents with the budget to bring in real potential. This to me is a sign of major progress. It’s exciting to see who else we pick up in the months ahead. And how they will develop. 

I agree I’m really excited by it and keeping a close eye, in some ways I’m more interested in it than the main transfer activity.

In other news, youth team keeper Akos Onodi has picked up the u18 Premier League save of the season award for his stop against Arsenal u18s, very good young keeper he is. Some save it was too, he tipped it on to the post

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In other news, youth team keeper Akos Onodi has picked up the u18 Premier League sage of the season award for his stop against Arsenal u18s, very good young keeper he is. Some save it was too, he tipped it on to the post

About time.😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep the drive behind scenes on the youth side is wonderful. Actually building the club back up from the ground up. 
We are in good hands here with our owners I feel.

I’ve rarely taken any interest in the youth set up for the last decade or more because frankly the players are very very rarely good enough.

I’m quite excited about the changes happening now though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It now appears we are set to land the very highly rated Ben Chrisene from Exeter and we are heavily linked with Ruden Shakpoke from Norwich, while our own Carney Chukwuemeka has signed a new long-term deal.

When did Carney sign a new long term deal? Missed that, but brilliant news if he did

Edited by MrBlack

Â