Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

another thread by OP slating the academy starting to think he was rejected ;)

Of course Villa has one of best academies in country look at amount of players in top 2 divisions that came from Villa just cause people think not good enough for us doesnt mean the academy has failed plus players like Cahill, Davis, Gardner, Whittingham and Ridgewell would probably walk into our team now

came here to say just that. if our academy was anything short of excellent, how do you explain that output? for me it's be a success if we churn out 90% champ level players on which we recoup the investment plus some profit. in that way the academy is another source of revenue for investment in the first team. that means it's a successfull academy. the fact in realty the've produced a string of very, very good players who continue to make a living in the prem and have been sold for a tidy profit means that the academy is more than a basic success.

we shoudl be massively proud of the output of our academy, what do you lot expect? a whole squad of academy players that take us to the title? what is your level of expectation for the academy? have you thought about it's outpuit in relation to others?

get **** real, there's a lot of negative bullshit around as we've been beaten twice on teh bounce and yesterday for the most part wasn't pretty. leave the kids alone though, and the academy staff. they do a great job and i for one hope they continue to do so.

we shoudl be massively proud of the output of our academy, what do you lot expect? a whole squad of academy players that take us to the title? what is your level of expectation for the academy? have you thought about it's outpuit in relation to others?

im pretty sure their is only 1 academy in the world with that level of talent and they have even had to buy back their players. is it academy director fault their is no Iniesta, Xavi or Messi in Birmingham area

I forgot you had to get lucky and get a messi in youre youth team then youre the best academy (eu) ...

This always gets brought up and its the same ridiculous answer... we DO have one of the best in the whole of england.

But you look at the youth team and they've got some good players coming through... Whether they prem standard or not they still gain us a few million pounds in the long-run.

Basically its not about getting lucky 2 or 3 times with natural talent. Its about naturing very average players to players that can gain you a few million (e.g gabby ) and hopefully finding another gary cahill in youre pack.

But at the moment were neither doing one thing or the other. in recent times we are not generating revenue from them -and they proving themselves at First team level.

A whole host of them were given contracts - (by i think houllier) and Jonathon Hogg was sold for around £250k - Weve held onto Bannan and Delfonso to long and there value has probably plumeted by now.

But at the moment were neither doing one thing or the other. in recent times we are not generating revenue from them -and they proving themselves at First team level.

A whole host of them were given contracts - (by i think houllier) and Jonathon Hogg was sold for around £250k - Weve held onto Bannan and Delfonso to long and there value has probably plumeted by now.

you have just contradicted yourself

Cream rise to the top

The points about playing too many is legitimate.... the rest is very much debatable.

When Trevor Francis and Brian Little came through( 16 & 19) those teams didn't have world beaters for them to learn from and neither did Rooney. If the talent is there you will see it, you don't have to look for it or convince yourself that it will come.

There are far too many excuses....I still stand by ( on the whole)they ain't good enough IMO

Ps we ain't siteing Lee Hendrie as an example...OMG

Delfomsou, Bannan, not good enough. Thought Nathan might do the business

but no, seen this before in the 80s. Herd, Lichai (like him), Clark, Baker (could all be all solid, time yet), Anyone remember, Ray Walker, Paul Kerr, Mark Jones, Norton, Darren Bradley, Ritchie,...Maybe not.

Weimann, Carruthers (good potential) maybe Albrighton give him another season, but have doubts. Been here before.

I think we have over-rated our youth players though. Has McDonald Gone! Nice bloke but.........

Next 5 days are going to be pivotal, regards to transfer market.

ST in the Holte, if we dont change it around very sharpish we will all be visiting peterborough and barnsley next season. UTV.

Our youth system clearly has given us some decent players down the years.

Of the ones that have broken through in the last few years Bannan is the worst, Herd just runs round, Clark is too weak to be a CB, Delf isn't going to make it.

Ship them all out - none of them are top six standard premier league players and most likely never will be. They're not even premier league standard players to be fair!

Of the ones that have broken through in the last few years Bannan is the worst, Herd just runs round, Clark is too weak to be a CB, Delf isn't going to make it.

And all of them were starting against Everton!!!

Also agree with Richard about the Peace Cup, add to that the ManU game when the kids looked like Barcelona.

Complete and utter over reaction if I've ever seen one!!! FFS. Ok then, can someone tell me who has a better academy at the moment or the last 2/3 years than us??

As for never producing a Rooney/Owen etc. How about Cahill? England international CB, who has won the CL with Chelsea, not done to badly has he?? Gary Gardner could be our next big thing, but he is now out for 9 months, so has further knocked back his progress. Grealish and Graham are both talents in our academy at the moment, with the right coaching and attitude, they will be first team players.

i dont think its the academy as much. the main problem is that TOO MANY youngesters are in teh first team at the same time. we should be implementing no more than 2-3 at a time

This.

I've seen people quoting our squad size as being large (compared to Evertons) but many are youth products that we've promoted to fill the gaps.

I think winning the peace cup a couple of years ago was the worse thing to happen to the club in terms of our future direction

Why? it was a pointless pre-season tournament, surely no one took that too seriously?

Are you kidding?

I remember the ott reactions on here so christ knows what the board thought of it.

Cahill, Davis, Gardner, Whittingham and Ridgewell

And yet for some reason, we sold them all :? and bought in Collins,heskey etc.

That's the point though.

At the time they weren't good enough (apart from Cahill and I would argue Gardner) especially as the dynamics changed and suddenly we were trying to break the to 4.

Presently I think a few of those would get into our team. I'd certainly have Ridgewell at LB, Cahill is a no brainer and I'd have Gardner ahead of Delph or Bannan.

I think winning the peace cup a couple of years ago was the worse thing to happen to the club in terms of our future direction

Why? it was a pointless pre-season tournament, surely no one took that too seriously?

Are you kidding?

I remember the ott reactions on here so christ knows what the board thought of it.

I don't really take a lot of what's written on this forum (or the other one) too seriously given there are a lot of stay-away fans with some sort of attention deficit disorder on here.

To be honest, most with a functioning brain would have seen the Peace Cup for what it was: a pre-season tournament with absolutely nothing on the line.

If the board did read a lot into it then it would suggest that there was not any serious football people on the board at the time.

Are you kidding?

I don't really take a lot of what's written on this forum (or the other one) too seriously given there are a lot of stay-away fans with some sort of attention deficit disorder on here.

To be honest, most with a functioning brain would have seen the Peace Cup for what it was: a pre-season tournament with absolutely nothing on the line.

If the board did read a lot into it then it would suggest that there was not any serious football people on the board at the time.

And still isn't!

Both Liverpool and Paris SG had 17 year old academy players (Sterling & Rabiot) in their starting 11 last night, both in important games against tough oposition and both did very well.

We still count 22/23 years old Bannan, Albrighton, Delph and so on as promising talent...

Â