No Thanks! - Players you DON'T want Villa to sign!

AvfcRigo82

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Bad footballers.

How 'bout footballers who look rubbish in claret and blue and then go on to look like world beaters playing for better teams (Toure, Gueye, Veretout, Amavi, Gollini)?

1 minute ago, JamieZ said:

How 'bout footballers who look rubbish in claret and blue and then go on to look like world beaters playing for better teams (Toure, Gueye, Veretout, Amavi, Gollini)?

If it's players of that quality that's fine.

We've got an actual manager/head coach whatever right now, so they'll be OK.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

If it's players of that quality that's fine.

We've got an actual manager/head coach whatever right now, so they'll be OK.

That's a fair point. And I think that's one of the arguments for adding quality to an established squad rather than throwing a bunch of unproven new signings into the deep end. The teams those players went into were black holes for talent—they were appreciably and significantly less than the sum of their parts. If we've got to strengthen in three or four areas around the pitch, I think that's only reasonable, but rather than speculating unnecessarily, I think we should be entering a consolidation phase where we're coalescing around a stable nucleus of players to build upon.

1 minute ago, gatecrasha said:

Any player who lacks serious pace. As a team we are too slow.

Only a problem for the front 3 really. Fine with a slow-ish technical player further back if they know what they're doing. Never stopped Gareth Barry from being a top player.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Only a problem for the front 3 really. Fine with a slow-ish technical player further back if they know what they're doing. Never stopped Gareth Barry from being a top player.

For me, pace is a requisite necessity in the modern game. Tis the reason why Matty Targett gets caught out. Full backs with pace and a pacy centre-back gets you out of trouble, whilst making you harder to play against.  No doubting Barry's qualities though. But he is an exception not the norm.

Other than a rare bit of magic like Douglas Luiz or an exceptional loan deal with an option to buy, anyone that would actually move to us from Arsenal, Chelsea (other than Abraham but I doubt he actually would), Tottenham, Man Utd (other than Tuanzebe who I definitely would take irrespective of injuries), Man City and Liverpool.

Anyone that used to play for Villa unless Milner magically wanted to move here.

Iheanacho

Hart

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

Messi. Would be typical Villa to sign a player on the decline purely based on reputation. We'd probably put him on a huge wage and a long contract too. 

Hope I'm not disappointed when the window slams shut. 

I’m not sure that Messi is a typical Villa signing, I wish he was! I don’t think that he’s particularly declining but Barcelona are in a bit of a lull though. Messi breaks all the norms, he’s so good he’s got a long way to decline before many teams would turn their noses up at him. 

Your general point has sadly been accurate for too long though. Hopefully the Villa retirement home for ageing footballers is now permanently closed. (For everyone except Messi). 

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

Messi. Would be typical Villa to sign a player on the decline purely based on reputation. We'd probably put him on a huge wage and a long contract too. 

Hope I'm not disappointed when the window slams shut. 

Maybe when he’s about to turn 40.

Â