70s/80s BAME footballers

Jareth

I'm doing a bit of research, and would appreciate anyone's recollection of any BAME footballer who came through from the 70s/80s and the key moments they faced in their careers and lives. There are some obvious contenders from our own club for instance, but I'm sure there are more obscure players who faced the same challenges. Thanks for any input!

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That is a hell of a story. 

It certainly is. Must be horrendous to get abuse like that from anyone, let alone your own fans. Especially as he had come through so much to get into the team

Mark Walters had dogs abuse from crowds when he went to Rangers,. John Barnes as well, including being booed by England fans :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

It certainly is. Must be horrendous to get abuse like that from anyone, let alone your own fans. Especially as he had come through so much to get into the team

Mark Walters had dogs abuse from crowds when he went to Rangers,. John Barnes as well, including being booed by England fans :(

It's a different world now, for sure, but Zaha got racist abuse, sadly from a supposed Villa fan (dumb-ass kid) - and also Ian Wright recently. If anything it's coming back. I think folks would be shocked to see what happened back then - and even more shocked to realise it hasn't gone away. 

• Like 1

There was Clyde Best at West Ham in the 70's

Regis, Batson, Cunningham AKA "the Three Degrees" at West Brom and they are still refered to by that nickname today in places (they have an entry as part of the Three Degrees disambiguation page on Wiki for example). I thought it was pretty racist back then and I still do today

• Like 1

Then earlier, there was Gil Heron (Gil Scott-Heron's Dad), who played a few games for Celtic in the fifties, then played a few games for Third Lanark and then moved to Kiddie Harriers. He scored on his Celtic debut too iirc. First black Celtic player and first black player in Scotland

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

There was Clyde Best at West Ham in the 70's

Regis, Batson, Cunningham AKA "the Three Degrees" at West Brom and they are still refered to by that nickname today in places (they have an entry as part of the Three Degrees disambiguation page on Wiki for example). I thought it was pretty racist back then and I still do today

Fair play Harry Redknapp (Moore and Bonds) - who've have known that ever happened? 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Then earlier, there was Gil Heron (Gil Scott-Heron's Dad), who played a few games for Celtic in the fifties, then played a few games for Third Lanark and then moved to Kiddie Harriers. He scored on his Celtic debut too iirc. First black Celtic player and first black player in Scotland

Just an incredible life - thanks for pointing this out. 

• Like 1

God himself turned up in the 80s at United

Btw i think Big Ron made a stupid comment about Desailly nobody can defend that but he was one of the pioneers for black players in England

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Paul Canoville, who was Chelsea's first black footballer, used to get horrible abuse from his own fans. 

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2019/12/16/where-are-they-now-paul-canoville

Had it tough both before and after his time at Chelsea. 

Excellent interview with him on a recent Football Ramble podcast.

I remember Jimmy Carter playing for Arsenal at Villa Park. Must have been early 90s . I think it might have been his debut but apparently he was the first British Asian to play in the Premier League.

Don't recall him getting much abuse ..no chanting or singing which often happened with black players but I do recall the joke going around before kick off that if he got a corner he'd build a shop on it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

I remember Jimmy Carter playing for Arsenal at Villa Park. Must have been early 90s . I think it might have been his debut but apparently he was the first British Asian to play in the Premier League.

Don't recall him getting much abuse ..no chanting or singing which often happened with black players but I do recall the joke going around before kick off that if he got a corner he'd build a shop on it. 

according to Wikipedia he didnt tell people about his Asian heritage at the time.

Its quite strange that not many players of Asian heritage play professionally though a lot more seem to play cricket, I think Chopra was one of the 1st high profile players

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

according to Wikipedia he didnt tell people about his Asian heritage at the time.

Its quite strange that not many players of Asian heritage play professionally though a lot more seem to play cricket, I think Chopra was one of the 1st high profile players

I tell a lie, I just did a bit of digging and it was Liverpool not Arsenal !  Memory playing tricks on me....a forgettable nil - nil clearly.  But I was right it was his debut 

1ST DIVISION

VILLA PARK | SAT 12 JAN 1991 AT 15:00

Nigel Spink
Chris Price
Kevin Gage
Paul McGrath
Andy Comyn
Kent Nielsen
Dwight Yorke
David Platt
Tony Cascarino
Gordon Cowans
Nigel Callaghan

Bruce Grobbelaar   
 Glenn Hysén    
 David Burrows  
 Steve Nicol    
 Steve Staunton   
 Jimmy Carter  
 Jan Mølby    
 Ian Rush    
 John Barnes    
 Steve McMahon 

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Vikash Dhorasoo was quite good and even got a few caps for France, never played in England thou (I think).

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Vikash Dhorasoo was quite good and even got a few caps for France, never played in England thou (I think).

No but he was one of the classic random Villa links in the day though some reason I think he played for Blackburn. 

2 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

I tell a lie, I just did a bit of digging and it was Liverpool not Arsenal !  Memory playing tricks on me....a forgettable nil - nil clearly.  But I was right it was his debut 

1ST DIVISION

VILLA PARK | SAT 12 JAN 1991 AT 15:00

Nigel Spink
Chris Price
Kevin Gage
Paul McGrath
Andy Comyn
Kent Nielsen
Dwight Yorke
David Platt
Tony Cascarino
Gordon Cowans
Nigel Callaghan

Bruce Grobbelaar   
 Glenn Hysén    
 David Burrows  
 Steve Nicol    
 Steve Staunton   
 Jimmy Carter  
 Jan Mølby    
 Ian Rush    
 John Barnes    
 Steve McMahon 

I was there that day. A credible 0-0 as Liverpool were still the team to beat (with Arsenal) at that point. 

• Like 1

Â